04-13-2015 12:31 PM
61 123
tools
    Is there an anandtech review available for GS6 yet?
    not yet, its bizarre with reviews coming out so early from all directions while many US-based review sites somehow seems to be still under some sort of embargo. Weird.
    03-16-2015 07:11 AM
    not yet, its bizarre with reviews coming out so early from all directions while many US-based review sites somehow seems to be still under some sort of embargo. Weird.
    I'd like to think that they are just more thorough and doing proper battery tests and spending a few days with the phone. Rather than just benefitting from early adopter clickbait
    03-16-2015 07:14 AM
    I'd like to think that they are just more thorough and doing proper battery tests and spending a few days with the phone. Rather than just benefitting from early adopter clickbait
    mmmm.... well, none of these site (engadget, AC, verge, bgr etc) actually conduct any meaningful battery test (some used to....), Anandtech and Ars, on the other hand, do thorough battery tests.

Oh well, I want to read more reviews, but I also want Sammy take the few weeks left to push out significant updates and hopefully battery can improve more.
    03-16-2015 07:19 AM
    Geeksbench is a CPU stress test, I would not be surprised 14nm exynos octa outperform a 20nm quad cpu in s5 in battery efficiency. This does show the remarkable cpu energy improvement in s6.

The battery life from this test can be very different from task-oriented rundown test. You can check anandtech review on s5 to see this.
    Good point.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    03-16-2015 07:20 AM
    I think this is a very good sign for people with concerns about battery life that do a lot of processor intensive things with their phone. If all reviews out so far are actually true, then my assumption is that the s6 will perform way better than other phones out there as far as battery life goes when it's being pushed to actually do some work. When it comes to just doing light tasks, the battery life will be worse than the s5 but about even with the iphone.
    Alex_NJ likes this.
    03-16-2015 07:29 AM
    I think this is a very good sign for people with concerns about battery life that do a lot of processor intensive things with their phone. If all reviews out so far are actually true, then my assumption is that the s6 will perform way better than other phones out there as far as battery life goes when it's being pushed to actually do some work. When it comes to just doing light tasks, the battery life will be worse than the s5 but about even with the iphone.
    gaming comes to mind!
    03-16-2015 07:31 AM
    gaming comes to mind!
    Yeah and hopefully the "regular" use battery time can be better optimized with firmware. Making a phone super efficient while working hard is more difficult than making it super efficient when idling. I feel like the latter can be addressed through firmware. That could just be me being hopeful though.
    03-16-2015 07:51 AM
    I think Anandtech reviews usually come later since they do perform such a thorough review of a device. I'm not sure if there is any embargo on reviews, but I could see sites holding reviews until closer to the day of launch to maximize page hits when marketing and excitement is at a peak. We are still probably about 3 weeks from a U.S. launch and they could feel it is too early to put out a review. Additionally, they could wait until it is closer to launch to adjust their review for any updates that come out.
    03-16-2015 08:10 AM
    Geekbench battery score results are not indicative of real-world battery at all, as far as I know. I'll wait for Anandtech (although it might come out crazy late lol).
    Alex_NJ likes this.
    03-16-2015 08:54 AM
    Well, if process lets it last long on intensive app with screen on, it normally translates to long stand by time because light apps in background would also use less power. I have not seen any device that has long screen time but poor stand by time.
    03-16-2015 09:13 AM
    I think they didn't get finalized US carrier versions yet. Normally T-mobile version comes out first and used in the first in-depth reviews.
    03-16-2015 09:15 AM
    Well, if process lets it last long on intensive app with screen on, it normally translates to long stand by time because light apps in background would also use less power. I have not seen any device that has long screen time but poor stand by time.

So if this fantastic battery life was to be confirmed with all reviewers, how has Samsung achieved this?

Is it the more efficient processor and screen?

Or, Improved software/firmware?

Does this mean that you're going to suffer less from battery degrading due to the fact the phone is less dependant on the battery for results?

Or does it mean that you may suffer WORSE in the long run as the software gets more demanding for the efficient processor and you don't have the big battery to back it up?

I'm not technically knowledgable enough to know these answers
    03-16-2015 09:17 AM
    Too bad a translation is not available. My French is a little rusty.
    Like I said. Google Translate is your friend. I opened up my Chrome browser right from my phone and it asked me if I wanted it translated to English. Voila, read the review.
    03-16-2015 09:38 AM
    So if this fantastic battery life was to be confirmed with all reviewers, how has Samsung achieved this?

Is it the more efficient processor and screen?

Or, Improved software/firmware?

Does this mean that you're going to suffer less from battery degrading due to the fact the phone is less dependant on the battery for results?

Or does it mean that you may suffer WORSE in the long run as the software gets more demanding for the efficient processor and you don't have the big battery to back it up?

I'm not technically knowledgable enough to know these answers
    I think they achieved this by vastly improving standby times to almost Apple levels even though more things are running in the background. I would be surprised if we see more than 4-5 hours of actual screen on time.
    03-16-2015 09:40 AM
    I'm not a huge power user, mainly emails, calls, whatsapp, social media, web browsing so standby time works well for me.

This is the reason the Oneplus One is still an option for me
    03-16-2015 09:46 AM
    I'm not a huge power user, mainly emails, calls, whatsapp, social media, web browsing so standby time works well for me.

This is the reason the Oneplus One is still an option for me
    If that's what you mainly do, I don't think you need to worry though I would be careful about apps like facebook, google+ for auto syncs.

Also it has power saving mode, ultra power saving mode. I tested power saving mode on my S5 and it seems to extend stand by time about 40% and still more than enough power for most apps except graphic intensive ones.
    Alex_NJ likes this.
    03-16-2015 10:11 AM
    If that's what you mainly do, I don't think you need to worry though I would be careful about apps like facebook, google+ for auto syncs.

Also it has power saving mode, ultra power saving mode. I tested power saving mode on my S5 and it seems to extend stand by time about 40% and still more than enough power for most apps except graphic intensive ones.
    Are you sure it has a "regular" power saving mode? I haven't seen any mention of this. I've only seen the ultra power saving mode which is basically just for emergencies. I'd be curious about the power saving mode because I bet it is more than enough for anything besides gaming.
    03-16-2015 10:39 AM
    Are you sure it has a "regular" power saving mode? I haven't seen any mention of this. I've only seen the ultra power saving mode which is basically just for emergencies. I'd be curious about the power saving mode because I bet it is more than enough for anything besides gaming.
    I don't have link right now but I think I saw some hands-on videos showing that. I don't see why samsung would remove that feature.
    03-16-2015 10:55 AM
    I don't have link right now but I think I saw some hands-on videos showing that. I don't see why samsung would remove that feature.
    It's the power saving mode on the M8 that is its saving grace. Wouldn't be able to get a full day and night without it on. I forgot the S6 has that now. I wonder if any of these battery tests do them with the power saver on and off on both devices.
    03-16-2015 11:55 AM
    I do like Samsung pay though, and that screen is amazing
    Just was using Google Wallet today. What if anything, if you know, does Samsung pay do that Google Wallet won't? I'd expect Wallet to have far greater market penetration, too.
    03-16-2015 11:58 AM
    The built in payment system such as NFC and the other one (forgot its name)
    03-16-2015 11:59 AM
    The built in payment system such as NFC and the other one (forgot its name)
    Google wallet does work with NFC as its underpinning and hooks into either your credit card or bank account.
    03-16-2015 12:05 PM
    Just was using Google Wallet today. What if anything, if you know, does Samsung pay do that Google Wallet won't? I'd expect Wallet to have far greater market penetration, too.
    Google wallet won't work without NFC. The problem here in the US is that the vast majority of retailers don't have NFC payment options.
    Samsung pay uses BOTH NFC and MST for payments. And since in the US most places have MST, then new owners of the S6 will be able to make digital payments NOW and not have to wait 6 to 12 months like with the current phones in the US.

Posted via Android Central App using the all new HTC One (m8)
    monsieurms likes this.
    03-16-2015 12:29 PM
    It works with existing credit card scanners. Wallet, and other NFC based systems, require the merchant to install special credit card devices that support NFC. Most retailers are reluctant to spend the money to do that.
    monsieurms likes this.
    03-16-2015 12:30 PM
    Samsung Pay also uses MST. This means you can still make phone payments without NFC. As long as a store uses a magnetic strip reader for cards (which is about 99% of stores in America), you can just tap our phone on the card reader and make a payment with the phone
    Alex_NJ and monsieurms like this.
    03-16-2015 12:33 PM
61 123