04-13-2015 12:31 PM
61 123
tools
    Samsung Pay also uses MST. This means you can still make phone payments without NFC. As long as a store uses a magnetic strip reader for cards (which is about 99% of stores in America), you can just tap our phone on the card reader and make a payment with the phone
    I'm very excited for the MST. However, I found out that it doesn't work at most gas pumps due to the way their card readers work. You can do a trick of inserting another card and then using the MST to pay, but that is pretty annoying. They are working on it, but it sounds like the card readers in gas pumps don't activate until a physical card is placed in.
    03-16-2015 12:40 PM
    I'm very excited for the MST. However, I found out that it doesn't work at most gas pumps due to the way their card readers work. You can do a trick of inserting another card and then using the MST to pay, but that is pretty annoying. They are working on it, but it sounds like the card readers in gas pumps don't activate until a physical card is placed in.
    Yes, this is true for machines that require you to insert your card and then remove it. These machines don't read until it senses a card has been inserted. They are different than the type of reader where you just slide your card through. This is basically the only time where the Samsung Pay will not work. You may be able to insert a library card or something that doesn't have a magnetic strip and then put your phone up to it, but at that point, you might as well just pay with the card. Given that this it the only type of machine that has this limitation, I wouldn't be surprised for those types of machines to slowly be faded out or at least have NFC functionality added.
    03-16-2015 12:50 PM
    I have to be that guy, the title of this thread says battery life is double! While that sounds great and in their test it did much better going from 5 hours to 8.5 hours is not even close to double.
    Alex_NJ likes this.
    03-16-2015 11:22 PM
    I'm more inclined to wait for the real world battery tests - meaning when the device is launched. Too many variables come into play to claim you get double battery life from the S5.
    03-17-2015 06:09 AM
    I have to be that guy, the title of this thread says battery life is double! While that sounds great and in their test it did much better going from 5 hours to 8.5 hours is not even close to double.
    Title says "almost double", not double. BUT when it's 70% more, it's not that huge of a mistake to round it to been double the other value, more like 1.5 times the other, but close anyway.

BUT, I'm assure you that next time I'll get my calculator and give you the correct amount
    tx_tuff likes this.
    03-17-2015 10:51 AM
    Another vote for production unit battery tests. If they are even to slightly better than the GS5, I'm good.
    03-17-2015 06:47 PM
    Usually most manufacturers don't put out new flagship that gets worse battery life than last year's model. Especially on Samsung, Motorola, I don't see such cases. There are some notable exceptions though such as LG G3 as it was significant step back from G2. Given the list of more efficient hardwares in S6 over S5, I don't see how it can go backward unless software disaster happens. Actually I think M9 is at more risk of going backward from M8 after seeing recent report on its performance.
    03-17-2015 07:28 PM
    Usually most manufacturers don't put out new flagship that gets worse battery life than last year's model. Especially on Samsung, Motorola, I don't see such cases. There are some notable exceptions though such as LG G3 as it was significant step back from G2. Given the list of more efficient hardwares in S6 over S5, I don't see how it can go backward unless software disaster happens. Actually I think M9 is at more risk of going backward from M8 after seeing recent report on its performance.
    Say it once and I'll say it again. While battery life is important, it is not key variable in the purchase or pass decision.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device
    smooth4lyfe likes this.
    03-17-2015 07:56 PM
    The only real negative thing he had to say about the phone was the speakers.

Posted via the Android Central App
    I'm almost relieved that the speakers "aren't impressive.". Gotta be honest... I've about had it with eating in a restaurant and some jackass is playing videos or music or games at full volume right next to me.

Cheers!

mjc
    Inders99 and chezm like this.
    03-17-2015 11:39 PM
    I'm almost relieved that the speakers "aren't impressive.". Gotta be honest... I've about had it with eating in a restaurant and some jackass is playing videos or music or games at full volume right next to me.

Cheers!

mjc
    Not thrilled about obnoxious people. Remember this is a preliminary review. Other first impression reviews have mentioned how much louder and the improved the base response. We need to wait until closer to go live for more thorough reviews.
    03-18-2015 06:08 AM
    I Would take it with a pinch of salt. 2x longetivity is too good to be true
    04-13-2015 12:31 PM
61 123