New French written review shows almost double the battery life than the S5

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: New French spoken review shows almost double the battery life than the S5

I'm with this. While I agree the M9 is an excellent phone, the pros and con's of each still push me more towards the S6 mainly because:
- camera is important to me, more realized coming from the lumia 920/1020 and now using Nexus 5.

- speakers aren't very important to me, if I listen to audio on my phone its generally through Bluetooth speakers or my car via aux.

- the screen... The glorious quad HD

- bezel size, I prefer the smaller design of S6 while I personally find the M8 had way too much bezel and space taken up with the HTC black bar.

- wireless charging

I really do love the theme creator in sense 7, excellent feature that looks awesome

Posted via the Android Central App

The hands on testing that you do between the two devices is the true test.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

Geeksbench is a CPU stress test, I would not be surprised 14nm exynos octa outperform a 20nm quad cpu in s5 in battery efficiency. This does show the remarkable cpu energy improvement in s6.

The battery life from this test can be very different from task-oriented rundown test. You can check anandtech review on s5 to see this.

Last edited:

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Geeksbench is a CPU stress test, I would not be surprised 14nm exynos octa outperform a 20nm quad cpu in s5 in battery efficiency. This does show the remarkable cpu energy improvement in s6.

The battery life from this test can be very different from task-oriented rundown test. You can check anandtech review on s5 to see this.

Is there an anandtech review available for GS6 yet?

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site

I feel like the reviews for both phones will start to come in this week

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

smooth4lyfe;4286822I said:
know for me camera is probably one of my #1 needed things to be good. One of the main reasons Im choosing the S6

While it's not my #1, it's important to me. The double tap on the home button from even from the lock screen is a big deal. I was skiing this weekend and what a PITA to take a pic with my clunker GS3. Opportunities are missed for sure the old way and this feature is very welcome...not to mention all the other factors.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

Is there an anandtech review available for GS6 yet?

not yet, its bizarre with reviews coming out so early from all directions while many US-based review sites somehow seems to be still under some sort of embargo. Weird.

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site

not yet, its bizarre with reviews coming out so early from all directions while many US-based review sites somehow seems to be still under some sort of embargo. Weird.

I'd like to think that they are just more thorough and doing proper battery tests and spending a few days with the phone. Rather than just benefitting from early adopter clickbait

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

I'd like to think that they are just more thorough and doing proper battery tests and spending a few days with the phone. Rather than just benefitting from early adopter clickbait

mmmm.... well, none of these site (engadget, AC, verge, bgr etc) actually conduct any meaningful battery test (some used to....), Anandtech and Ars, on the other hand, do thorough battery tests.

Oh well, I want to read more reviews, but I also want Sammy take the few weeks left to push out significant updates and hopefully battery can improve more.

Lympero

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site

Good point.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site

I think this is a very good sign for people with concerns about battery life that do a lot of processor intensive things with their phone. If all reviews out so far are actually true, then my assumption is that the s6 will perform way better than other phones out there as far as battery life goes when it's being pushed to actually do some work. When it comes to just doing light tasks, the battery life will be worse than the s5 but about even with the iphone.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

I think this is a very good sign for people with concerns about battery life that do a lot of processor intensive things with their phone. If all reviews out so far are actually true, then my assumption is that the s6 will perform way better than other phones out there as far as battery life goes when it's being pushed to actually do some work. When it comes to just doing light tasks, the battery life will be worse than the s5 but about even with the iphone.

gaming comes to mind!

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site

gaming comes to mind!

Yeah and hopefully the "regular" use battery time can be better optimized with firmware. Making a phone super efficient while working hard is more difficult than making it super efficient when idling. I feel like the latter can be addressed through firmware. That could just be me being hopeful though.

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site

I think Anandtech reviews usually come later since they do perform such a thorough review of a device. I'm not sure if there is any embargo on reviews, but I could see sites holding reviews until closer to the day of launch to maximize page hits when marketing and excitement is at a peak. We are still probably about 3 weeks from a U.S. launch and they could feel it is too early to put out a review. Additionally, they could wait until it is closer to launch to adjust their review for any updates that come out.

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

Geekbench battery score results are not indicative of real-world battery at all, as far as I know. I'll wait for Anandtech (although it might come out crazy late lol).

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site

Well, if process lets it last long on intensive app with screen on, it normally translates to long stand by time because light apps in background would also use less power. I have not seen any device that has long screen time but poor stand by time.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site

I think they didn't get finalized US carrier versions yet. Normally T-mobile version comes out first and used in the first in-depth reviews.

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site

Well, if process lets it last long on intensive app with screen on, it normally translates to long stand by time because light apps in background would also use less power. I have not seen any device that has long screen time but poor stand by time.

So if this fantastic battery life was to be confirmed with all reviewers, how has Samsung achieved this?

Is it the more efficient processor and screen?

Or, Improved software/firmware?

Does this mean that you're going to suffer less from battery degrading due to the fact the phone is less dependant on the battery for results?

Or does it mean that you may suffer WORSE in the long run as the software gets more demanding for the efficient processor and you don't have the big battery to back it up?

I'm not technically knowledgable enough to know these answers

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

Too bad a translation is not available. My French is a little rusty.

Like I said. Google Translate is your friend. I opened up my Chrome browser right from my phone and it asked me if I wanted it translated to English. Voila, read the review.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

So if this fantastic battery life was to be confirmed with all reviewers, how has Samsung achieved this?

Is it the more efficient processor and screen?

Or, Improved software/firmware?

Does this mean that you're going to suffer less from battery degrading due to the fact the phone is less dependant on the battery for results?

Or does it mean that you may suffer WORSE in the long run as the software gets more demanding for the efficient processor and you don't have the big battery to back it up?

I'm not technically knowledgable enough to know these answers

I think they achieved this by vastly improving standby times to almost Apple levels even though more things are running in the background. I would be surprised if we see more than 4-5 hours of actual screen on time.

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site

I'm not a huge power user, mainly emails, calls, whatsapp, social media, web browsing so standby time works well for me.

This is the reason the Oneplus One is still an option for me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37