New French written review shows almost double the battery life than the S5

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: New French spoken review shows almost double the battery life than the S5

I'm not a huge power user, mainly emails, calls, whatsapp, social media, web browsing so standby time works well for me.

This is the reason the Oneplus One is still an option for me

If that's what you mainly do, I don't think you need to worry though I would be careful about apps like facebook, google+ for auto syncs.

Also it has power saving mode, ultra power saving mode. I tested power saving mode on my S5 and it seems to extend stand by time about 40% and still more than enough power for most apps except graphic intensive ones.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site

If that's what you mainly do, I don't think you need to worry though I would be careful about apps like facebook, google+ for auto syncs.

Also it has power saving mode, ultra power saving mode. I tested power saving mode on my S5 and it seems to extend stand by time about 40% and still more than enough power for most apps except graphic intensive ones.

Are you sure it has a "regular" power saving mode? I haven't seen any mention of this. I've only seen the ultra power saving mode which is basically just for emergencies. I'd be curious about the power saving mode because I bet it is more than enough for anything besides gaming.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site

Are you sure it has a "regular" power saving mode? I haven't seen any mention of this. I've only seen the ultra power saving mode which is basically just for emergencies. I'd be curious about the power saving mode because I bet it is more than enough for anything besides gaming.

I don't have link right now but I think I saw some hands-on videos showing that. I don't see why samsung would remove that feature.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

I don't have link right now but I think I saw some hands-on videos showing that. I don't see why samsung would remove that feature.

It's the power saving mode on the M8 that is its saving grace. Wouldn't be able to get a full day and night without it on. I forgot the S6 has that now. I wonder if any of these battery tests do them with the power saver on and off on both devices.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

I do like Samsung pay though, and that screen is amazing

Just was using Google Wallet today. What if anything, if you know, does Samsung pay do that Google Wallet won't? I'd expect Wallet to have far greater market penetration, too.

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site

The built in payment system such as NFC and the other one (forgot its name)

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

The built in payment system such as NFC and the other one (forgot its name)

Google wallet does work with NFC as its underpinning and hooks into either your credit card or bank account.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

Just was using Google Wallet today. What if anything, if you know, does Samsung pay do that Google Wallet won't? I'd expect Wallet to have far greater market penetration, too.

Google wallet won't work without NFC. The problem here in the US is that the vast majority of retailers don't have NFC payment options.
Samsung pay uses BOTH NFC and MST for payments. And since in the US most places have MST, then new owners of the S6 will be able to make digital payments NOW and not have to wait 6 to 12 months like with the current phones in the US.

Posted via Android Central App using the all new HTC One (m8)

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

It works with existing credit card scanners. Wallet, and other NFC based systems, require the merchant to install special credit card devices that support NFC. Most retailers are reluctant to spend the money to do that.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Samsung Pay also uses MST. This means you can still make phone payments without NFC. As long as a store uses a magnetic strip reader for cards (which is about 99% of stores in America), you can just tap our phone on the card reader and make a payment with the phone

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site

Samsung Pay also uses MST. This means you can still make phone payments without NFC. As long as a store uses a magnetic strip reader for cards (which is about 99% of stores in America), you can just tap our phone on the card reader and make a payment with the phone

I'm very excited for the MST. However, I found out that it doesn't work at most gas pumps due to the way their card readers work. You can do a trick of inserting another card and then using the MST to pay, but that is pretty annoying. They are working on it, but it sounds like the card readers in gas pumps don't activate until a physical card is placed in.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site

I'm very excited for the MST. However, I found out that it doesn't work at most gas pumps due to the way their card readers work. You can do a trick of inserting another card and then using the MST to pay, but that is pretty annoying. They are working on it, but it sounds like the card readers in gas pumps don't activate until a physical card is placed in.

Yes, this is true for machines that require you to insert your card and then remove it. These machines don't read until it senses a card has been inserted. They are different than the type of reader where you just slide your card through. This is basically the only time where the Samsung Pay will not work. You may be able to insert a library card or something that doesn't have a magnetic strip and then put your phone up to it, but at that point, you might as well just pay with the card. Given that this it the only type of machine that has this limitation, I wouldn't be surprised for those types of machines to slowly be faded out or at least have NFC functionality added.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

I have to be that guy, the title of this thread says battery life is double! While that sounds great and in their test it did much better going from 5 hours to 8.5 hours is not even close to double.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

I'm more inclined to wait for the real world battery tests - meaning when the device is launched. Too many variables come into play to claim you get double battery life from the S5.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

I have to be that guy, the title of this thread says battery life is double! While that sounds great and in their test it did much better going from 5 hours to 8.5 hours is not even close to double.

Title says "almost double", not double. BUT when it's 70% more, it's not that huge of a mistake to round it to been double the other value, more like 1.5 times the other, but close anyway.

BUT, I'm assure you that next time I'll get my calculator and give you the correct amount ;)

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Another vote for production unit battery tests. If they are even to slightly better than the GS5, I'm good.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site

Usually most manufacturers don't put out new flagship that gets worse battery life than last year's model. Especially on Samsung, Motorola, I don't see such cases. There are some notable exceptions though such as LG G3 as it was significant step back from G2. Given the list of more efficient hardwares in S6 over S5, I don't see how it can go backward unless software disaster happens. Actually I think M9 is at more risk of going backward from M8 after seeing recent report on its performance.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Usually most manufacturers don't put out new flagship that gets worse battery life than last year's model. Especially on Samsung, Motorola, I don't see such cases. There are some notable exceptions though such as LG G3 as it was significant step back from G2. Given the list of more efficient hardwares in S6 over S5, I don't see how it can go backward unless software disaster happens. Actually I think M9 is at more risk of going backward from M8 after seeing recent report on its performance.

Say it once and I'll say it again. While battery life is important, it is not key variable in the purchase or pass decision.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

mjcecil

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

The only real negative thing he had to say about the phone was the speakers.

Posted via the Android Central App

I'm almost relieved that the speakers "aren't impressive.". Gotta be honest... I've about had it with eating in a restaurant and some jackass is playing videos or music or games at full volume right next to me.

Cheers!

mjc

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

I'm almost relieved that the speakers "aren't impressive.". Gotta be honest... I've about had it with eating in a restaurant and some jackass is playing videos or music or games at full volume right next to me.

Cheers!

mjc

Not thrilled about obnoxious people. Remember this is a preliminary review. Other first impression reviews have mentioned how much louder and the improved the base response. We need to wait until closer to go live for more thorough reviews.