04-09-2015 11:01 AM
90 1234
tools
    As others have said; Todays Touchwiz isn't bad, and supposedly even less obtrusive on the S6, or you could use a different Launcher,
    03-16-2015 08:16 PM
    As others have said; Todays Touchwiz isn't bad, and supposedly even less obtrusive on the S6, or you could use a different Launcher,
    TouchWiz is not just a launcher.
    03-16-2015 08:20 PM
    TouchWiz is not just a launcher.
    Thanks.
    I should have said a different launcher might help camouflage TW.
    Or dilute it.
    Or make it less bothersome.
    I myself have no problem with TW.
    03-16-2015 08:27 PM
    Thanks.
    I should have said a different launcher might help camouflage TW.
    Or dilute it.
    Or make it less bothersome.
    I myself have no problem with TW.
    Won't have to wait too much longer to find out how much TouchWiz has been slimmed down.
    03-16-2015 08:31 PM
    I'm kinda hoping the slim version becomes their standard for all future releases for Note4 and S5.
    03-16-2015 08:35 PM
    I'm kinda hoping the slim version becomes their standard for all future releases for Note4 and S5.
    I am hoping that it slims down from the GS6. There's go to be a point where a hybrid TouchWiz stock Android blows all the completion off the planet.
    berdinkerdickle likes this.
    03-16-2015 08:49 PM
    Multi-Window is a feature of TW I use quite a bit.
    03-16-2015 08:54 PM
    I'm not sure they will open up the Themes to developers but I really hope so. Really would like a sleek dark/Black theme. Kind of like the Space theme they demoed but less 13 year old boyish and more mature/techy.
    I think they'll open it up.
    03-16-2015 09:22 PM
    If they are anything like the RIM themes, it will be another way to customize your GS6. Don't see Apple introducing them anytime soon,
    03-16-2015 09:26 PM
    Yeh, I agree, its a huge plus for Samsung to open the themes up.

Posted via Android Central App
    03-16-2015 10:03 PM
    Been an iphone user since the 3g. I've gone back and forth (had the HTC Hero and Samsung S3) so I've been generally familiar at least with old android.

The S6 is probably the first android phone in a while to tempt me away from the iphone.

My main issue is touchwiz. Obviously I haven't tried out the new apparently slimmed down touchwiz, but after a nightmare with the S3 I've lost all confidence in Samsung handling things on the software side. I'd love to flash cyanogenmod on it when its possible to do so, but I assume I would lose all hardware optimizations? (for example the camera probably wont open in a split second under cyanogenmod vs touchwiz, not to mention all the improved post-processing done to photos which are mostly in software).

Does anyone know of any other downsides to switching to another custom rom? I haven't done it in a long time. I'd lose all the Samsung apps but anything else?
    You would also use stability when you use a build for a new device like the S6. You WILL experience crashes if you choose the "nightlie" builds. My S5 crashed many times when I had cyanogen mod (it was much better compared to KitKat S5). Lollipop S5 was actually very comparable to cyanogenmod S5. I think you will like Samsung's new Touchwiz + lollipop. It's much improved.
    03-17-2015 01:45 AM
    If they are anything like the RIM themes, it will be another way to customize your GS6. Don't see Apple introducing them anytime soon,
    One of the nice features I saw was the themes, as sad as it may seem it helped push me more over the fence in getting the device. When M9 was showing off the awesome sense 7 theme creator, I was in love...very cool minimal feature that completely changes the design. When I saw the S6 show off their themes, while its not as cool as the theme creator its still great and I'm super pumped about it. I think it will take off, tons of $$$ will be made off the themes.

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-17-2015 05:22 AM
    You would also use stability when you use a build for a new device like the S6. You WILL experience crashes if you choose the "nightlie" builds. My S5 crashed many times when I had cyanogen mod (it was much better compared to KitKat S5). Lollipop S5 was actually very comparable to cyanogenmod S5. I think you will like Samsung's new Touchwiz + lollipop. It's much improved.
    I usually stay away from non-carrier based updates or mods. First, not that tech savvy. Second, can't be without my phone and have repair or replace it because I screwed something up by installing one not compatible with carrier and country.
    03-17-2015 05:50 AM
    I guess we just have to learn to deal with the bad, and get done with it. I'm not technically savvy but like the OP, I'm not comfy with the touchwiz. I'm just learning to live with it while trying to make this phone works better for me. Rooting and custom ROM does it all- not 100% neat but makes my tech life manageable.
    03-17-2015 07:41 AM
    TouchWiz with a different launcher is absolutely fine on all the Samsung phones I've had (and that would be a lot). I don't care how the settings menus look really as that's just settings menus.

ā™»from the n.3 controlleršŸ¶šŸ«
    03-17-2015 08:22 AM
    TouchWiz with a different launcher is absolutely fine on all the Samsung phones I've had (and that would be a lot). I don't care how the settings menus look really as that's just settings menus.

ā™»from the n.3 controller
    Other launchers plus TouchWiz equals less speed and lag? Just asking.
    03-17-2015 06:45 PM
    I haven't noticed a big difference with Nova over TW.
    Once I disabled all the TW animations, I experience no lag with TW.
    03-17-2015 06:50 PM
    People who say they dislike TW, might like to search some YouTube videos on features of TW. There really is a lot of nice stuff packed into it.
    03-17-2015 06:59 PM
    I haven't noticed a big difference with Nova over TW.
    Once I disabled all the TW animations, I experience no lag with TW.
    In terms of lag, there is not much difference between TW and Nova under same animation setting. But Nova launcher is vastly faster in home screen swiping than TW launcher. You can make Nova home screen swiping even faster from Nova setting. But there is no home speed setting in TW. I'm personally fine with smooth home transition speed in TW on S5. Nova feels like too instant.
    berdinkerdickle likes this.
    03-17-2015 07:05 PM
    It takes a wile for the custom roms to come out any way so you will have to stick with stock for a year and wait until there are some stable roms to read about.
    03-17-2015 07:07 PM
    I used to be a custom rom fan, anymore, I see no need. I think most who say they dislike TW are those who haven't used it lately.
    03-17-2015 07:10 PM
    Other launchers plus TouchWiz equals less speed and lag? Just asking.
    Yes, absolutely. The aspect of Touchwiz that causes lag IS its launcher. Replace that, goodbye lag, IME.

03-17-2015 07:26 PM
    Would having themes and TouchWiz make you change your mind about launchers? In addition to themes, I saw the ability to change rows and column configuration on each home screen.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device
    03-17-2015 07:54 PM
    Row and column config was baked into Nova from day one. I've had that feature for ages.

I'm not one to concern myself with themes, but Nova already had tons of themes.
    03-17-2015 08:04 PM
    Would having themes and TouchWiz make you change your mind about launchers? In addition to themes, I saw the ability to change rows and column configuration on each home screen.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device
    No. When TouchWiz IS Nova Prime it'll change my mind about the TouchWiz launcher.

03-17-2015 09:59 PM
90 1234