04-09-2015 11:01 AM
90 1234
tools
    Would having themes and TouchWiz make you change your mind about launchers? In addition to themes, I saw the ability to change rows and column configuration on each home screen.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device
    My one concern about using their theme engine is that it appears to be all or nothing. So if I pick a theme, I get that fonts, icons, color scheme, and wallpaper for that theme. That slightly annoys me because I like setting my own wallpaper which means I have to go reset that. A minor annoyance, but I prefer the way some of the third party launchers handle theming in that I can mix and match things. For example, their are probably hundreds of icon packs out there that allow you to just change the icons while leaving everything else as you had it.
    03-18-2015 08:22 AM
    May be a stupid question, or not, but is the finger unlock technology locked to Touchwiz or will it be available with any launcher? I will likely use Google Now launcher if I plan to get a S6 and finger unlock is one of the main reasons I want the phone.

Side question:
    Also, does anyone with a current Galaxy phone use Android Wear, and do the apps work on android wear (i.e. S fitness)?
    03-18-2015 08:50 AM
    May be a stupid question, or not, but is the finger unlock technology locked to Touchwiz or will it be available with any launcher? I will likely use Google Now launcher if I plan to get a S6 and finger unlock is one of the main reasons I want the phone.

Side question:
    Also, does anyone with a current Galaxy phone use Android Wear, and do the apps work on android wear (i.e. S fitness)?
    I can answer the first one, and that is that it will work with any launcher. That's something that doesn't get changed just by adding a launcher. I used the fingerprint sensor on the Note 4 when I had it and had no issues with it while using the GEL, which is what I will most likely be using on the S6/S6 Edge.
    chezm likes this.
    03-18-2015 09:12 AM
    All TW features including fingerprint sensor, multi-window, etc are available regardless of launcher.
    berdinkerdickle likes this.
    03-18-2015 09:57 AM
    I don't like the display of S6 when reading books.
    P.S. Is there any easy way to transfer content from iPhone to S6, such as text messages and music?
    It's been almost 2 years since I switched from an iPhone to an S4, but this Samsung Smart Switch worked decently. It wasn't perfect, but it wasn't too painful either.

I'm sure that like everything else, it's been improved since then.

Smart Switch: Data Transfer for your Devices | Samsung
    03-18-2015 11:49 AM
    All TW features including fingerprint sensor, multi-window, etc are available regardless of launcher.
    Exactly,
    And TW has some cool features I don't want to lose.
    03-18-2015 12:00 PM
    Exactly,
    The freedom to use or download some features giving users more control is a grand that I hope continues to gain speed.
    03-18-2015 06:56 PM
    Exactly,
    There is no feature I can think of on the TW launcher that isn't already in Nova. OTOH, there are tons of features in Nova that TW launcher lacks.

BTW, app drawer in Nova is alpha arranged by default.
    03-18-2015 07:31 PM
    No. When TouchWiz IS Nova Prime it'll change my mind about the TouchWiz launcher.

♻from the n.3 controller🍶🍫
    TouchWiz is not a launcher

03-18-2015 07:52 PM
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...-launcher.html.
    By installing a third party launcher you don't loose the function of apps like the Calendar and others. They are still installed as their own separate applications but Touchwiz does take advantage of integrating them into your daily use.

Basically if you install a third party launcher like Apex, Nova, ADW Launcher, Launcher Pro,GO Launcher, etc... you will still have function of the apps in question.. Actually when you install the 3rd party launcher they may integrate nicely or even provide their own versions of calendar, etc to work along with the launcher.

Touchwiz the "launcher" and "application list" portion itself will change by installing a 3rd party launcher but Touchwiz itself goes a bit deeper into the OS by means of the notification pull down toggles and other areas that a 3rd party launcher will not change so it will still be present in many respects.

Newer users to Android can be confused by launchers and UI's, etc.. Touchwiz/Moto Blur/Sense are all OEM UI's which are built onto the OS so they have more function than just the launcher, they also "theme" the device in their own ways aside from what vanilla android was built as.
    03-18-2015 08:07 PM
    Dude, read the mans answer. TouchWiz is more than a launcher as it's tentacles reach into the UI and the OS the way that a launcher does not. They more or less sit on top and in my opinion just take up space. You get a little UI change but it's still OS and UI no matter how you slice it.
    03-18-2015 09:00 PM
    Dude! Did you read the link?
    Yes, it's more than a launcher.
    I totally agree with you.
    Sheesh!
    03-18-2015 09:07 PM
    I think I see now where you got confused.
    I posted a link to the post I quoted from Paul.
    I think you think I'm arguing with you, but I've been agreeing with you regarding this all along.
    03-18-2015 09:15 PM
    Here's some good info on touchwiz:
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TouchWiz
    jcp007 likes this.
    03-18-2015 09:20 PM
    I think I see now where you got confused.
    I posted a link to the post I quoted from Paul.
    I think you think I'm arguing with you, but I've been agreeing with you regarding this all along.
    Not mad at you. Just don't newbs too get confused.
    berdinkerdickle likes this.
    03-18-2015 09:25 PM
    TouchWiz is not a launcher

TouchWiz is a complete overlay on top of stock Android. Part of the overlay is the TouchWiz launcher. The other part of the TouchWiz overlay are modifications to the underpinnings of stock Android including, but not limited to, the settings menus, ability to change fonts, etc.

It is widely thought that the part of TouchWiz that interferes with performance is the TouchWiz launcher. By replacing that parasitic addition said performance is restored. This is why I, and many others, experience little, if any, lag on our contemporary Samsung devices.

♻from the n.4✒🍫
    03-19-2015 05:44 AM
    TouchWiz is a complete overlay on top of stock Android. Part of the overlay is the TouchWiz launcher. The other part of the TouchWiz overlay are modifications to the underpinnings of stock Android including, but not limited to, the settings menus, ability to change fonts, etc.

It is widely thought that the part of TouchWiz that interferes with performance is the TouchWiz launcher. By replacing that parasitic addition said performance is restored. This is why I, and many others, experience little, if any, lag on our contemporary Samsung devices.

♻from the n.4✒
    Great point and clarification. Never had the need for a third party launcher which seems like it would contribute to lag as it is one more thing installed and running on the phone than without it.
    03-19-2015 06:17 AM
    Great point and clarification. Never had the need for a third party launcher which seems like it would contribute to lag as it is one more thing installed and running on the phone than without it.
    You should really give Nova or Apex a try. ...even if only for a day.

♻from the n.4 Prime✒🍫
    03-19-2015 07:22 AM
    Any third party launcher app runs in place of Touchwiz Launcher, not on top of it. That's why there's no lag using Nova or Apex.
    03-19-2015 08:15 AM
    Any third party launcher app runs in place of Touchwiz Launcher, not on top of it. That's why there's no lag using Nova or Apex.
    Hopefully, no third-party launcher will be necessary on the GS6.

03-19-2015 10:11 AM

It won't be necessary, but many people will use them. I will likely use one since I find Samsung's look to be a little cartoonish for my tastes. Their theme manager is nice, but I don't care for the all or nothing choice. If I choose one theme, I get their color scheme, icon pack, and wallpaper. I'm guessing I can change wallpaper again, but the other things are locked. I'll use a third party launcher so that I can change it all to be the way I want.

As far as a concern with lag, new devices today can easily handle a third party launcher. If you experience lag with one, it is likely an issue with that specific launcher itself, but the main ones are all pretty good. Personally, I've used Nova and Action Launcher with a number of devices over the past years and have not seen a noticeable affect on battery life or lag.
    03-19-2015 10:32 AM
    I will never understand why some people insist on using out of the box apps when there are better (usually free) alternatives. Especially on Android since you can set them as the default app.
    03-19-2015 11:02 AM
    It won't be necessary, but many people will use them. I will likely use one since I find Samsung's look to be a little cartoonish for my tastes. Their theme manager is nice, but I don't care for the all or nothing choice. If I choose one theme, I get their color scheme, icon pack, and wallpaper. I'm guessing I can change wallpaper again, but the other things are locked. I'll use a third party launcher so that I can change it all to be the way I want.

As far as a concern with lag, new devices today can easily handle a third party launcher. If you experience lag with one, it is likely an issue with that specific launcher itself, but the main ones are all pretty good. Personally, I've used Nova and Action Launcher with a number of devices over the past years and have not seen a noticeable affect on battery life or lag.
    I never really paid too much attention to the icon sets enough to be bothered by them. Do I wish they would change the clock to behave like a clock or the contacts app to have a more updated icon? Sure. I, more or less, think that they are more functional than aesthetic. With the space the third party launchers occupy, think of all the apps, song, pictures or videos that could be stored in their place.
    03-19-2015 05:19 PM
    This may be disgusting to some but I love it and it's one reason why I choose 3rd party launchers over TW

♻from the n.4 Prime✒🍫
    03-19-2015 05:51 PM
    I like it,

I'm also someone who doesn't like Samsung's cartoony icons. I much prefer HTC's or iOS
    03-19-2015 05:54 PM
90 1234