04-09-2015 11:01 AM
90 ... 234
tools
    I never really paid too much attention to the icon sets enough to be bothered by them. Do I wish they would change the clock to behave like a clock or the contacts app to have a more updated icon? Sure. I, more or less, think that they are more functional than aesthetic. With the space the third party launchers occupy, think of all the apps, song, pictures or videos that could be stored in their place.
    Nova is just a hair over 12mb installed.
    03-19-2015 06:00 PM
    Nova is just a hair over 12mb installed.
    How many songs or pictures? Several pictures depending upon resolution. I guess my point is that with a lighter TouchWiz footprint, improved hardware and firmware, the need will be there to far less degree than in years past when there was a ton of bloat ware, not enough horsepower for the load leading one install third party launchers. As time goes on, they won't be needed at all except for those nostalgic or wedded through loyalty to the third party launchers. They are not for everyone and I have never felt the need for them.
    03-19-2015 07:40 PM
    How many songs or pictures? Several pictures depending upon resolution. I guess my point is that with a lighter TouchWiz footprint, improved hardware and firmware, the need will be there to far less degree than in years past when there was a ton of bloat ware, not enough horsepower for the load leading one install third party launchers. As time goes on, they won't be needed at all except for those nostalgic or wedded through loyalty to the third party launchers. They are not for everyone and I have never felt the need for them.
    Maybe you should try one for a little bit. Its all about the customizations that you can do .once you take advantage of everything they have to offer ,its very difficult to go back to a stock UI, nor just TW, but any brand phone
    03-19-2015 07:44 PM
    Maybe you should try one for a little bit. Its all about the customizations that you can do .once you take advantage of everything they have to offer ,its very difficult to go back to a stock UI, nor just TW, but any brand phone
    Ok. But we need to give the lighter footprint and other adjustments made to the UI before we load third party launchers. If after trying it cold turkey and you just can't live without it, load it. In the past due to underpowered devices and klunky TouchWiz UI that necessitated the need for the launchers. Users have been screaming about premium build materials and more horsepower and resources. Now that you are getting them, would it not also follow that new customization options were added while giving TouchWiz a more unified and streamlined footprint?
    03-19-2015 08:05 PM
    Ok. But we need to give the lighter footprint and other adjustments made to the UI before we load third party launchers. If after trying it cold turkey and you just can't live without it, load it. In the past due to underpowered devices and klunky TouchWiz UI that necessitated the need for the launchers. Users have been screaming about premium build materials and more horsepower and resources. Now that you are getting them, would it not also follow that new customization options were added while giving TouchWiz a more unified and streamlined footprint?
    Doesn't matter how streamlined they make it, I myself still find their theme to look cartoonish. When they give the same customization options as third party launchers, then they might be on to something.
    03-19-2015 08:23 PM
    I'll get rid of the launcher right away. There's probably never gonna be as many options in the Touchwiz launcher as there is in Nova because it would be confusing to the average user. 12mb is nothing. That's like 2 songs or 2 pictures, and I use the cloud so even if it was more than that I wouldn't care. It's not about speed to me, it's about all the options it gives. I know for some users the stock launcher is enough though.
    03-19-2015 08:24 PM
    I'll get rid of the launcher right away. There's probably never gonna be as many options in the Touchwiz launcher as there is in Nova because it would be confusing to the average user. 12mb is nothing. That's like 2 songs or 2 pictures, and I use the cloud so even if it was more than that I wouldn't care. It's not about speed to me, it's about all the options it gives. I know for some users the stock launcher is enough though.
    Nova is just a launcher is not as integrated into the UI/OS as TouchWiz which has a launcher component. Customization is an important component of the Android experience but speed and performance are so much more important. That's fine. People have different needs and preferences. I was just saying to try it without the launcher to see how the UI has progressed. If you still don't like it, get the launcher.
    03-19-2015 08:50 PM
    i may have decided that i will get the edge version, ONLY because i think it'll probably have better resale value. I'd love to try android for about 6 months and give it a solid chance, and then see what apple brings out this september. if the camera gets a massive upgrade, i'll just sell the edge and go back to the iphone. if not, i'm sure i'll be super pleased with the s6!
    03-27-2015 07:07 AM
    I see a ton of replies, but figured I'd throw in my two cents since I'm an iPhone user going to the S6. I traded in an iPad 2 for a Galaxy tablet and after a little while, I got used to the new OS and touchwiz. It wasn't honestly as bad as I thought it would be, you just have to get all your apps and icons organized. From what I can see in reviews/videos it shouldn't be as bad on the S6, so if its better than what I have on my Tab 4 10.1, I'm actually excited to start using it.
    neiljay6 likes this.
    03-27-2015 10:53 AM
    i may have decided that i will get the edge version, ONLY because i think it'll probably have better resale value. I'd love to try android for about 6 months and give it a solid chance, and then see what apple brings out this september. if the camera gets a massive upgrade, i'll just sell the edge and go back to the iphone. if not, i'm sure i'll be super pleased with the s6!
    Better from the perspective of a higher starting price. Having had a few minutes to play with the Edge in the store, it didn't feel as solid and the overall feel in the hand isn't as pleasing as the GS6. Both curved edges had a distinctive feel like sharp edge though not knife edge sharp. From a functionality perspective, not being as functional as the GN4, the novelty doesn't appear to be worth it and will wear off soon.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device
    03-27-2015 06:48 PM
    I finally saw an S6 and an S6E in the store with my kids. My daughter was impressed by the Edge. I was not really taken with either. My daughter has an iPhone 5 so she was impressed. I have some something more so perhaps that's it. However, the phones look pretty good. What didn't impress me on the what demo models was. the huge plastic camera wart (it's worth noting) but other than that very nice.

📐♻from the sliq side with the n.Edge✒🍫
    03-27-2015 07:27 PM
    I finally saw an S6 and an S6E in the store with my kids. My daughter was impressed by the Edge. I was not really taken with either. My daughter has an iPhone 5 so she was impressed. I have some something more so perhaps that's it. However, the phones look pretty good. What didn't impress me on the what demo models was. the huge plastic camera wart (it's worth noting) but other than that very nice.

📐♻from the sliq side with the n.Edge✒🍫
    Apple has a little wart. Samsung has a big wart. If you run around naked it matters. Put it in a case - no more warts. You must like to run around naked.
    03-28-2015 01:04 PM
    Apple has a little wart. Samsung has a big wart. If you run around naked it matters. Put it in a case - no more warts. You must like to run around naked.
    I would never, ever, in any universe, this or parallel, consider using my phones "naked". I always use a case and screen protector.

Always.

I like the purity of a blemish-free device. and there's plenty of nice looking cases. Still the big camera wart on the S6 and S6E is, like any other big wart. Yes, a case helps hide it. ...but only helps. The truth is, as a Note 4 and Note Edge owner, the S6 and 6E have little I'm attracted to. The wart is just another thing.
    03-28-2015 03:39 PM
    well i did it!

i preordered the s6 in black, 64gb non-edge version.

heres hoping to a smooth transition. i'm still keeping my iphone 5 for backup and if the next iphone 6s is amazing, i can just sell the s6 off and jump back. looking forward to figuring out all the new things in android and hopefully all the improvements that have been made ever since i used to own the s3.
    04-09-2015 10:36 AM
    well i did it!

i preordered the s6 in black, 64gb non-edge version.

heres hoping to a smooth transition. i'm still keeping my iphone 5 for backup and if the next iphone 6s is amazing, i can just sell the s6 off and jump back. looking forward to figuring out all the new things in android and hopefully all the improvements that have been made ever since i used to own the s3.
    You should be fine. I was in the same boat as you, long time iPhone user (4s, 5, 5s and 6) and was nervous about making the leap. The last Android phone I owned what the HTC Evo. It is a learning curve I will admit, but a fun one. I did have a Note 4 for 2 weeks last year but I returned it..I didnt have a legit reason (besides size) but it just "wasnt an iPhone". I wasnt ready to give up Apple yet. But the S6 is the first phone to make me forget about my iPhone. Not saying I would never go back to Apple in the future but right now im good with my S6
    04-09-2015 11:01 AM
90 ... 234