longtime iphone user *possibly* switching to galaxy s6 but don't want touchwiz

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: longtime iphone user *possiby* switching to galaxy s6 but don't want touchwiz

well since samsung themselves decided to dial back touchwiz, i'd say more than a few people have had issues with it.

myself i found it slow and laggy to use, but that was when i had an s3 (in comparison to my iphone 5 at the time). at that time though, the standard for speed isn't like where it is today obviously, and i assume android in general is a lot faster now. i just dont want to lose speed if i switch to another rom which is my main issue.

i'm just wondering if this is an issue in general when switching custom roms for another that may not be as optimized for the specific phone you're installing it on.

It has been toned down a ton from the S3.

Also the hardware is way more up to par now a days.

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Re: longtime iphone user *possiby* switching to galaxy s6 but don't want touchwiz

People hate Touchwiz for three reasons:

1) It's ugly
2) It lags
3) It's bloated

Samsung has addressed issues 2 & 3. There's no more lag and the footprint has been trimmed down. Is it still ugly? Yes, I think so. But I can side-step most of that by moving to Nova Launcher. Nova also gives me a ton more customization options. But there's still a bunch of other areas where TW presents itself, notably the shade, the camera, contacts, and dialer. However, most of those have been redesigned, although that has never been as issue for me because I actually like the Samsung customizations to those programs. In either case, most of these apps can be replaced.

So to sum up, get Nova Launcher or use the Google Experience launcher and you should be good.

Another option to change the aesthetics would be to use the new theme manager. I'm sure someone will make a vanilla android theme to replace the ugliness.

Posted via Android Central App

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site

Another option to change the aesthetics would be to use the new theme manager. I'm sure someone will make a vanilla android theme to replace the ugliness.

Posted via Android Central App

I'm not sure they will open up the Themes to developers but I really hope so. Really would like a sleek dark/Black theme. Kind of like the Space theme they demoed but less 13 year old boyish and more mature/techy.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Posted a video from GSM Arena that was posted on YouTube today. It's been a long day at the office today but I think somewhere it may mention that TouchWiz is quite close but different enough from stock Android. A bit of hyperbole but you get the point. The video is in the hands on video thread that I started.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Posted a video from GSM Arena that was posted on YouTube today. It's been a long day at the office today but I think somewhere it may mention that TouchWiz is quite close but different enough from stock Android. A bit of hyperbole but you get the point. The video is in the hands on video thread that I started.

Clarification. This rendition is the closest yet. Meaning not quite there yet. It looks great however. Just thought I would clarify before I get jumped.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

I'm not sure they will open up the Themes to developers but I really hope so. Really would like a sleek dark/Black theme. Kind of like the Space theme they demoed but less 13 year old boyish and more mature/techy.
I think they'll open it up.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

I think they'll open it up.

If they are anything like the RIM themes, it will be another way to customize your GS6. Don't see Apple introducing them anytime soon,

ahj4513

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Been an iphone user since the 3g. I've gone back and forth (had the HTC Hero and Samsung S3) so I've been generally familiar at least with old android.

The S6 is probably the first android phone in a while to tempt me away from the iphone.

My main issue is touchwiz. Obviously I haven't tried out the new apparently slimmed down touchwiz, but after a nightmare with the S3 I've lost all confidence in Samsung handling things on the software side. I'd love to flash cyanogenmod on it when its possible to do so, but I assume I would lose all hardware optimizations? (for example the camera probably wont open in a split second under cyanogenmod vs touchwiz, not to mention all the improved post-processing done to photos which are mostly in software).

Does anyone know of any other downsides to switching to another custom rom? I haven't done it in a long time. I'd lose all the Samsung apps but anything else?

You would also use stability when you use a build for a new device like the S6. You WILL experience crashes if you choose the "nightlie" builds. My S5 crashed many times when I had cyanogen mod (it was much better compared to KitKat S5). Lollipop S5 was actually very comparable to cyanogenmod S5. I think you will like Samsung's new Touchwiz + lollipop. It's much improved.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site

If they are anything like the RIM themes, it will be another way to customize your GS6. Don't see Apple introducing them anytime soon,

One of the nice features I saw was the themes, as sad as it may seem it helped push me more over the fence in getting the device. When M9 was showing off the awesome sense 7 theme creator, I was in love...very cool minimal feature that completely changes the design. When I saw the S6 show off their themes, while its not as cool as the theme creator its still great and I'm super pumped about it. I think it will take off, tons of $$$ will be made off the themes.

Posted via the Android Central App

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
You would also use stability when you use a build for a new device like the S6. You WILL experience crashes if you choose the "nightlie" builds. My S5 crashed many times when I had cyanogen mod (it was much better compared to KitKat S5). Lollipop S5 was actually very comparable to cyanogenmod S5. I think you will like Samsung's new Touchwiz + lollipop. It's much improved.

I usually stay away from non-carrier based updates or mods. First, not that tech savvy. Second, can't be without my phone and have repair or replace it because I screwed something up by installing one not compatible with carrier and country.

Oceanne

Banned
Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
I guess we just have to learn to deal with the bad, and get done with it. I'm not technically savvy but like the OP, I'm not comfy with the touchwiz. I'm just learning to live with it while trying to make this phone works better for me. Rooting and custom ROM does it all- not 100% neat but makes my tech life manageable.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
TouchWiz with a different launcher is absolutely fine on all the Samsung phones I've had (and that would be a lot). I don't care how the settings menus look really as that's just settings menus.

♻from the n.3 controller🍶🍫

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khalio1234