longtime iphone user *possibly* switching to galaxy s6 but don't want touchwiz

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
TouchWiz with a different launcher is absolutely fine on all the Samsung phones I've had (and that would be a lot). I don't care how the settings menus look really as that's just settings menus.

♻from the n.3 controller????????????

Other launchers plus TouchWiz equals less speed and lag? Just asking.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I haven't noticed a big difference with Nova over TW.
Once I disabled all the TW animations, I experience no lag with TW.

In terms of lag, there is not much difference between TW and Nova under same animation setting. But Nova launcher is vastly faster in home screen swiping than TW launcher. You can make Nova home screen swiping even faster from Nova setting. But there is no home speed setting in TW. I'm personally fine with smooth home transition speed in TW on S5. Nova feels like too instant.

TravisSanders

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
It takes a wile for the custom roms to come out any way so you will have to stick with stock for a year and wait until there are some stable roms to read about.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Would having themes and TouchWiz make you change your mind about launchers? In addition to themes, I saw the ability to change rows and column configuration on each home screen.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Row and column config was baked into Nova from day one. I've had that feature for ages.

I'm not one to concern myself with themes, but Nova already had tons of themes.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Would having themes and TouchWiz make you change your mind about launchers? In addition to themes, I saw the ability to change rows and column configuration on each home screen.

No. When TouchWiz IS Nova Prime it'll change my mind about the TouchWiz launcher.

♻from the n.3 controller🍶🍫

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site

My one concern about using their theme engine is that it appears to be all or nothing. So if I pick a theme, I get that fonts, icons, color scheme, and wallpaper for that theme. That slightly annoys me because I like setting my own wallpaper which means I have to go reset that. A minor annoyance, but I prefer the way some of the third party launchers handle theming in that I can mix and match things. For example, their are probably hundreds of icon packs out there that allow you to just change the icons while leaving everything else as you had it.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
May be a stupid question, or not, but is the finger unlock technology locked to Touchwiz or will it be available with any launcher? I will likely use Google Now launcher if I plan to get a S6 and finger unlock is one of the main reasons I want the phone.

Side question:
Also, does anyone with a current Galaxy phone use Android Wear, and do the apps work on android wear (i.e. S fitness)?

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
May be a stupid question, or not, but is the finger unlock technology locked to Touchwiz or will it be available with any launcher? I will likely use Google Now launcher if I plan to get a S6 and finger unlock is one of the main reasons I want the phone.

Side question:
Also, does anyone with a current Galaxy phone use Android Wear, and do the apps work on android wear (i.e. S fitness)?

I can answer the first one, and that is that it will work with any launcher. That's something that doesn't get changed just by adding a launcher. I used the fingerprint sensor on the Note 4 when I had it and had no issues with it while using the GEL, which is what I will most likely be using on the S6/S6 Edge.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

All TW features including fingerprint sensor, multi-window, etc are available regardless of launcher.

EMY92

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: longtime iphone user *possiby* switching to galaxy s6 but don't want touchwiz

I don't like the display of S6 when reading books.
P.S. Is there any easy way to transfer content from iPhone to S6, such as text messages and music?

It's been almost 2 years since I switched from an iPhone to an S4, but this Samsung Smart Switch worked decently. It wasn't perfect, but it wasn't too painful either.

I'm sure that like everything else, it's been improved since then.

Smart Switch: Data Transfer for your Devices | Samsung

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/181802-touchwiz-only-launcher.html.
By installing a third party launcher you don't loose the function of apps like the Calendar and others. They are still installed as their own separate applications but Touchwiz does take advantage of integrating them into your daily use.

Basically if you install a third party launcher like Apex, Nova, ADW Launcher, Launcher Pro,GO Launcher, etc... you will still have function of the apps in question.. Actually when you install the 3rd party launcher they may integrate nicely or even provide their own versions of calendar, etc to work along with the launcher.

Touchwiz the "launcher" and "application list" portion itself will change by installing a 3rd party launcher but Touchwiz itself goes a bit deeper into the OS by means of the notification pull down toggles and other areas that a 3rd party launcher will not change so it will still be present in many respects.

Newer users to Android can be confused by launchers and UI's, etc.. Touchwiz/Moto Blur/Sense are all OEM UI's which are built onto the OS so they have more function than just the launcher, they also "theme" the device in their own ways aside from what vanilla android was built as.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith