longtime iphone user *possibly* switching to galaxy s6 but don't want touchwiz

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
I think I see now where you got confused.
I posted a link to the post I quoted from Paul.
I think you think I'm arguing with you, but I've been agreeing with you regarding this all along.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
TouchWiz is not a launcher

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device
TouchWiz is a complete overlay on top of stock Android. Part of the overlay is the TouchWiz launcher. The other part of the TouchWiz overlay are modifications to the underpinnings of stock Android including, but not limited to, the settings menus, ability to change fonts, etc.

It is widely thought that the part of TouchWiz that interferes with performance is the TouchWiz launcher. By replacing that parasitic addition said performance is restored. This is why I, and many others, experience little, if any, lag on our contemporary Samsung devices.

♻from the n.4✒🍫

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
TouchWiz is a complete overlay on top of stock Android. Part of the overlay is the TouchWiz launcher. The other part of the TouchWiz overlay are modifications to the underpinnings of stock Android including, but not limited to, the settings menus, ability to change fonts, etc.

It is widely thought that the part of TouchWiz that interferes with performance is the TouchWiz launcher. By replacing that parasitic addition said performance is restored. This is why I, and many others, experience little, if any, lag on our contemporary Samsung devices.

♻from the n.4✒??????

Great point and clarification. Never had the need for a third party launcher which seems like it would contribute to lag as it is one more thing installed and running on the phone than without it.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Great point and clarification. Never had the need for a third party launcher which seems like it would contribute to lag as it is one more thing installed and running on the phone than without it.
You should really give Nova or Apex a try. ...even if only for a day.

♻from the n.4 Prime✒🍫

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Any third party launcher app runs in place of Touchwiz Launcher, not on top of it. That's why there's no lag using Nova or Apex.

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully, no third-party launcher will be necessary on the GS6.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

It won't be necessary, but many people will use them. I will likely use one since I find Samsung's look to be a little cartoonish for my tastes. Their theme manager is nice, but I don't care for the all or nothing choice. If I choose one theme, I get their color scheme, icon pack, and wallpaper. I'm guessing I can change wallpaper again, but the other things are locked. I'll use a third party launcher so that I can change it all to be the way I want.

As far as a concern with lag, new devices today can easily handle a third party launcher. If you experience lag with one, it is likely an issue with that specific launcher itself, but the main ones are all pretty good. Personally, I've used Nova and Action Launcher with a number of devices over the past years and have not seen a noticeable affect on battery life or lag.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully, no third-party launcher will be necessary on the GS6.
I will never understand why some people insist on using out of the box apps when there are better (usually free) alternatives. Especially on Android since you can set them as the default app.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
It won't be necessary, but many people will use them. I will likely use one since I find Samsung's look to be a little cartoonish for my tastes. Their theme manager is nice, but I don't care for the all or nothing choice. If I choose one theme, I get their color scheme, icon pack, and wallpaper. I'm guessing I can change wallpaper again, but the other things are locked. I'll use a third party launcher so that I can change it all to be the way I want.

As far as a concern with lag, new devices today can easily handle a third party launcher. If you experience lag with one, it is likely an issue with that specific launcher itself, but the main ones are all pretty good. Personally, I've used Nova and Action Launcher with a number of devices over the past years and have not seen a noticeable affect on battery life or lag.

I never really paid too much attention to the icon sets enough to be bothered by them. Do I wish they would change the clock to behave like a clock or the contacts app to have a more updated icon? Sure. I, more or less, think that they are more functional than aesthetic. With the space the third party launchers occupy, think of all the apps, song, pictures or videos that could be stored in their place.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
This may be disgusting to some but I love it and it's one reason why I choose 3rd party launchers over TW
3361e81e2f418ccf63943e14f00dc699.jpg

d06c0c3f0e109d4f9d0369dc9620bf19.jpg

♻from the n.4 Prime✒🍫

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I never really paid too much attention to the icon sets enough to be bothered by them. Do I wish they would change the clock to behave like a clock or the contacts app to have a more updated icon? Sure. I, more or less, think that they are more functional than aesthetic. With the space the third party launchers occupy, think of all the apps, song, pictures or videos that could be stored in their place.

Nova is just a hair over 12mb installed.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Nova is just a hair over 12mb installed.

How many songs or pictures? Several pictures depending upon resolution. I guess my point is that with a lighter TouchWiz footprint, improved hardware and firmware, the need will be there to far less degree than in years past when there was a ton of bloat ware, not enough horsepower for the load leading one install third party launchers. As time goes on, they won't be needed at all except for those nostalgic or wedded through loyalty to the third party launchers. They are not for everyone and I have never felt the need for them.

edgefever

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
How many songs or pictures? Several pictures depending upon resolution. I guess my point is that with a lighter TouchWiz footprint, improved hardware and firmware, the need will be there to far less degree than in years past when there was a ton of bloat ware, not enough horsepower for the load leading one install third party launchers. As time goes on, they won't be needed at all except for those nostalgic or wedded through loyalty to the third party launchers. They are not for everyone and I have never felt the need for them.

Maybe you should try one for a little bit. Its all about the customizations that you can do .once you take advantage of everything they have to offer ,its very difficult to go back to a stock UI, nor just TW, but any brand phone

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Maybe you should try one for a little bit. Its all about the customizations that you can do .once you take advantage of everything they have to offer ,its very difficult to go back to a stock UI, nor just TW, but any brand phone

Ok. But we need to give the lighter footprint and other adjustments made to the UI before we load third party launchers. If after trying it cold turkey and you just can't live without it, load it. In the past due to underpowered devices and klunky TouchWiz UI that necessitated the need for the launchers. Users have been screaming about premium build materials and more horsepower and resources. Now that you are getting them, would it not also follow that new customization options were added while giving TouchWiz a more unified and streamlined footprint?

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok. But we need to give the lighter footprint and other adjustments made to the UI before we load third party launchers. If after trying it cold turkey and you just can't live without it, load it. In the past due to underpowered devices and klunky TouchWiz UI that necessitated the need for the launchers. Users have been screaming about premium build materials and more horsepower and resources. Now that you are getting them, would it not also follow that new customization options were added while giving TouchWiz a more unified and streamlined footprint?

Doesn't matter how streamlined they make it, I myself still find their theme to look cartoonish. When they give the same customization options as third party launchers, then they might be on to something.