Yeah yeah removable replaceable blah blah....here's a different one:

On long trips when using the phone for navigating I tend to leave the phone in it's car mount plugged in, is the constant charge bad for the battery? My 'ol GS3 heats up quite nicely when doing this but I leave it charging since navigating drains so much so fast. Thoughts?
    03-16-2015 05:59 PM

On long trips when using the phone for navigating I tend to leave the phone in it's car mount plugged in, is the constant charge bad for the battery? My 'ol GS3 heats up quite nicely when doing this but I leave it charging since navigating drains so much so fast. Thoughts?
    Never had that issue. bad battery?
    03-16-2015 07:40 PM
    Not sure as it has never happened on my phone
    However, you can get a Qi enabled car mount with your S6, which will probably a more convenient option since it charges slower, thus not making the device as hot. Plus, it will always be charging so long as the phone is in the mount

http://www.amazon.com/Qi-infinity-Wi...cUvbUpU4288510
    03-16-2015 08:42 PM

Are you still using the original battery?
    03-17-2015 06:40 AM
    Are you still using the original battery?
    Yes...and I'm just hanging on 'till the GS6 comes out.
    dominick and deeb215 like this.
    03-17-2015 06:48 AM
    Yes...and I'm just hanging on 'till the GS6 comes out.
    I'd say it's your battery but keep on holding on! Not much longer.
    racedog likes this.
    03-17-2015 06:58 AM
    I'm on my third Nexus 5 and all 3 have heated up when I have used them for long road trips. I typically run navigation and bluetooth audio when driving and when I do a multi-hour road trip, the phone heats up whether I use a charger or not. I have chalked up the heat to the phone running the maps app and streaming audio. I don't think it is a bad battery, because as I stated I'm on my third Nexus 5. None of the replacements were for bad batteries, the first issue was a defective headphone jack (day 1 order) and then that one got replaced just a few months ago when my GPS quick working reliably.
    Inders99 likes this.
    03-17-2015 07:23 AM
    My S3 does the same. In fact it gets pretty hot just using the GPS for long periods of time without charging. I can't answer your question or help your concern, but in general I just don't think it's a good idea. I actually just purchased a stand alone GPS unit that I use for long road trips. Works better, I don't have to worry about my phone and it only costs $100 or less. Maybe with new phones with better processors it can handle this better, but I still wouldn't. In general, heat isn't good for the battery.
    03-17-2015 09:41 AM
    My S3 does the same. In fact it gets pretty hot just using the GPS for long periods of time without charging. I can't answer your question or help your concern, but in general I just don't think it's a good idea. I actually just purchased a stand alone GPS unit that I use for long road trips. Works better, I don't have to worry about my phone and it only costs $100 or less. Maybe with new phones with better processors it can handle this better, but I still wouldn't. In general, heat isn't good for the battery.
    Does your GPS work with Waze?
    03-17-2015 05:05 PM
    you should download Here map and use it for navigation. It has offline maps, so it doesn't need data connection. Everybody know data transmission is the biggest battery killer.
    03-17-2015 05:35 PM
    you should download Here map and use it for navigation. It has offline maps, so it doesn't need data connection. Everybody know data transmission is the biggest battery killer.
    I like Waze so I know where the cops are. It's ski season so we're on the highway a lot, the app has been quite useful.

But I'll check out Here for areas where I'm not concerned about cops...thx
    03-17-2015 05:55 PM
    Does your GPS work with Waze?
    I've never used Waze.

I'm completely unfamiliar with 3rd party GPS apps. Google maps works so well I just have never had a need to look elsewhere and I didn't even know any decent 3rd party apps existed. I've downloaded some offline maps before while traveling in foreign countries when I don't have data, but I never thought about using one in my day to day life when at home.

Are these 3rd party apps basically skins of Google Maps? Basically I'm wondering if they use Google Maps but add their own functionality on top of it. Or is just a completely different stand alone GPS app? I'm worried about losing the convenience of just starting to type in "Starbucks" and before I even finish it, it brings up my closest one and I can select it. It also remembers previous searches. All those things that make Google maps so convenient and easy to use, do these 3rd party apps have them too? The thought of having offline maps sounds great. Most of my daily driving is in about a 30 mile radius and would be nice to just have all that data saved locally so I don't have to rely on data connection and speeds.
    03-18-2015 07:42 AM
    I've never used Waze.

I'm completely unfamiliar with 3rd party GPS apps. Google maps works so well I just have never had a need to look elsewhere and I didn't even know any decent 3rd party apps existed. I've downloaded some offline maps before while traveling in foreign countries when I don't have data, but I never thought about using one in my day to day life when at home.

Are these 3rd party apps basically skins of Google Maps? Basically I'm wondering if they use Google Maps but add their own functionality on top of it. Or is just a completely different stand alone GPS app? I'm worried about losing the convenience of just starting to type in "Starbucks" and before I even finish it, it brings up my closest one and I can select it. It also remembers previous searches. All those things that make Google maps so convenient and easy to use, do these 3rd party apps have them too? The thought of having offline maps sounds great. Most of my daily driving is in about a 30 mile radius and would be nice to just have all that data saved locally so I don't have to rely on data connection and speeds.
    Here map is basically transforming your phone into an indepedent GPS unit. Its map data is also indepedent, not from google. Here maps has its own POI data base, starbucks obviously included.

Your google map search history will not be transported. But any search history in the HERE will be there for you once you start using it.

HERE map navigation also has a dark theme, which helps to save battery on AMOLED screen.
    STEVESKI07 likes this.
    03-18-2015 07:53 AM
    Here map is basically transforming your phone into an indepedent GPS unit. Its map data is also indepedent, not from google. Here maps has its own POI data base, starbucks obviously included.

Your google map search history will not be transported. But any search history in the HERE will be there for you once you start using it.

HERE map navigation also has a dark theme, which helps to save battery on AMOLED screen.
    By dark theme are you referring to day and night mode or is there another setting I'm missing?
    03-18-2015 10:21 AM
    By dark theme are you referring to day and night mode or is there another setting I'm missing?
    Yes.. Night mode for navigation.

Here map also generally use more dark element in UI, such as search results page etc.

@T-Mobile GN3
    03-18-2015 11:27 AM