I decided to get the S6

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
TBH, I think HTC missed a big opportunity on the M9.
They should have at least had a QHD screen imo. Sure they want to make their phone more battery efficient, but almost all flagship phones now have QHD screens. And yes, you can see the difference on the phone between 1080p and QHD screen.

The M9 has lack of design change, camera is not great, battery life i'm reading is not that great...HTC needs to take a step back and refresh for their next flagship

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Actually it is the same $99. Unfortunately the deductible is $75 though. Kind of a tough call. They do have great service though so you don't have to worry about that. So you're looking at either throwing away $99 or using the warranty but it end up costing you $175 total. Seems kind of steep.

Edit: I don't understand what this forums deal is with links but I tried 5 times to edit the link to get it to work and it won't. Just add the usual www to: squaretrade.com/product/smartphone-warranty1

SquareTrade is decent but they do not cover for lost/stolen devices unless they have recently changed their program. No one expects to lose or have their device stolen but never say never.

Posted via S5 or Turbo.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
SquareTrade is decent but they do not cover for lost/stolen devices unless they have recently changed their program. No one expects to lose or have their device stolen but never say never.

Posted via S5 or Turbo.

We have usually relied on carrier driven coverage but are looking to shop around to get a better deal.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
We have usually relied on carrier driven coverage but are looking to shop around to get a better deal.

SquareTrade is pretty cheap for 2 year coverage - I've used them on car audio equipment but never had to file a claim. The lost/stolen caveat gets me because if Murphy is gonna get someone, he's gonna get me.

Posted via S5 or Turbo.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
SquareTrade is pretty cheap for 2 year coverage - I've used them on car audio equipment but never had to file a claim. The lost/stolen caveat gets me because if Murphy is gonna get someone, he's gonna get me.

Posted via S5 or Turbo.

Lost or stolen is a concern to me especially with a teenager at home.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Lost or stolen is a concern to me especially with a teenager at home.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

Ask me how expensive it is to replace a screen and digitizer on an S5. That boy has the top tier insurance now.

Posted via S5 or Turbo.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

Posted via S5 or Turbo.

For AT&T the cheapest full coverage is $6.99 per month plus $200 deductible. You get 2 replacement per year or 4 times in the total 2 years. They state that you'll get a 25% discount on the deductible if it's after the first 6 months.

So according to AT&T, the total cost to replace a battery at the 18th month mark is $317 (give or take depending on how they discount the deductible). This does include lost and stolen.

Or square traid at $174
this does not include loss or stolen.

Again, this is the cost for me to replace the battery vs $20 on Amazon.
Unlike others here I abuse my phones for a year and then use them as a backup for the second year. Then I sell them. So by that time the battery needs replacement at least based on my past history with Samsung.

I personally don't worry too much about loss or stolen as I'll have a backup phone already. In this case an HTC One m8. My S4 will be going to swappa or a traid in if Samsung does anything like Apple or HTC.
If I had children to worrie about, this would be a totally different story.

Yet I'm open to everyone's ideas and have not made up my mind yet on what insurance I'll get just yet.

Posted via Android Central App using the all new HTC One (m8)

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
For AT&T the cheapest full coverage is $6.99 per month plus $200 deductible. You get 2 replacement per year or 4 times in the total 2 years. They state that you'll get a 25% discount on the deductible if it's after the first 6 months.

So according to AT&T, the total cost to replace a battery at the 18th month mark is $317 (give or take depending on how they discount the deductible). This does include lost and stolen.

Or square traid at $174
this does not include loss or stolen.

Again, this is the cost for me to replace the battery vs $20 on Amazon.
Unlike others here I abuse my phones for a year and then use them as a backup for the second year. Then I sell them. So by that time the battery needs replacement at least based on my past history with Samsung.

I personally don't worry too much about loss or stolen as I'll have a backup phone already. In this case an HTC One m8. My S4 will be going to swappa or a traid in if Samsung does anything like Apple or HTC.
If I had children to worrie about, this would be a totally different story.

Yet I'm open to everyone's ideas and have not made up my mind yet on what insurance I'll get just yet.

Someone has to offer a policy that includes loss or stolen that is more affordable. If you are not under warranty, not eleigble for upgrade, and have to,pay full replacement cost of a new phone, then full coverage does work. Again, I'd like to find a better price.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm not as worried about loss or theft anymore. I'm older and less drunk than I used to be, so I only worry about breaking the device.

I guess everyone has different situations though.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Someone has to offer a policy that includes loss or stolen that is more affordable. If you are not under warranty, not eleigble for upgrade, and have to,pay full replacement cost of a new phone, then full coverage does work. Again, I'd like to find a better price.

Think about it.

Right now I can get a brand new in box S5 for AT&T for $350 with less then 1 min looking
http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/mob/4933278469.html

For the cost of full coverage, if I just lost my phone I could replace it as long as it happens now. Of course if it happens a month after I get the phone I take a loss, but it only gets cheaper the moment the S6 drops. And how many phones have you lost or got stolen? Not saying it doesn't happen.

My point is that in the first year full coverage is worth it. After that it's almost like you're just handing them profit. After a year it could be even cheaper than the deductible to just get a "new in box" or a "like new" (used) from Chreags List.

But I too am older and less drunk. Hadn't lost or had my device stolen yet. Heck while I do use a case, I only drop my phone outside maybe once a year. I'm careful with my property both at home and in public.

Now if you can find something cheaper that won't give me a problem for a battery replacement, and give me full coverage then cool. But even though I almost never drop my phone I'll still take the minimum insurance as that is mostly what I need.

Last edited:

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Think about it.

Right now I can get a brand new in box S5 for AT&T for $350 with less then 1 min looking
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S5 16gb Gold Brand new!!

For the cost of full coverage, if I just lost my phone I could replace it as long as it happens now. Of course if it happens a month after I get the phone I take a loss, but it only gets cheaper the moment the S6 drops. And how many phones have you lost or got stolen? Not saying it doesn't happen.

My point is that in the first year full coverage is worth it. After that it's almost like you're just handing them profit. After a year it could be even cheaper than the deductible to just get a "new in box" or a "like new" (used) from Chreags List.

But I too am older and less drunk. Hadn't lost or had my device stolen yet. Heck while I do use a case, I only drop my phone outside maybe once a year. I'm careful with my property both at home and in public.

Now if you can find something cheaper that won't give me a problem for a battery replacement, and give me full coverage then cool. But even though I almost never drop my phone I'll still take the minimum insurance as that is mostly what I need.

Agreed. Everybody has a different situation, but mine seems very similar to yours. I know people that constantly break phones or are always accidentally leaving them places. For them, an insurance plan and a comprehensive one makes sense. For people who rarely drop their phones and have a very very tiny chance of ever losing or stealing it, you have to judge whether or not it's worth paying extra for something you're very unlikely to use. I think Square Trades 2 year coverage for $100 is pretty good. $100 isn't a whole lot to lose and it may be worth it just in ease of mind. The extra $75 deductible if you actually need it is fine with me. My wife and I actually both used ours on our Galaxy S3's within the past year. She dropped hers on some concrete stairs and the screen wouldn't turn on even though it didn't shatter. My charging port got loose and the charging cord wouldn't stay in and I got it replaced. In hindsight, mine was probably a waste since at the point I needed a replacement I could have just gone on ebay and got a nicer phone for the $175 I was in the hole. But the ease of mind was nice. If she had dropped her phone and broke it a month into our contract, the insurance would be a life saver.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
That's my point Steve, everyone has different needs.

I can fully understand people who buy full coverage. I can also understand why someone might never get coverage.

For me, I'll know that I'm going to use the policy at least once to insure a long life with a battery replacement. But I just can't get why I personally need full coverage when a) I'll have a backup phone anyway (m8) and b) the chances of loss or stolen in the first year is slim for me.

Don't get me wrong. I tell everyone who speaks to me that they should get full coverage. Most of my friends or family have kids or a clumsy wife....or they are a space cadet themselves.