I decided to get the S6

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

It took a while but I finally decided to get the S6.
There are reasons why I hesitate. Very good reasons. And I don't think that I'm alone.

Non removable battery and no micro SD card.
Yes, I'm sure that you are all sick of hearing it by now. Yet this is a big reason why I hesitate. It's not that I can't adapt. It's not that this is a new concept. It's that with Samsung this makes the cost grow exponentially.

Let's start with the battery.
When I got my S4 two of my friends/coworkers had the S3 for a year. Both were telling me that thier battery life was getting bad, one of them could barely hold a charge. A simple trip to Amazon and $20 bucks each later solved thier problem. My S4 also had a bad degrading battery, but it lasted a year and a half before I replaced it. As a gamer I expect to be harsh on my batteries. But mine got as bad as it wouldn't hold a charge and replacement was mandatory. My HTC One m8 is almost a year old and at worst I get about 15 minutes less of screen on time then new. I think at least HTC uses better batteries.

You can talk all you want about fast charging and dual wireless bla bla bla all you want. It is not going to help when in a year or slightly longer you'll need to have the battery replaced. The only solution NOW is to get a good insurance policy and then using it to replace the battery.
If you let others in your family use your old phones or sell them, replacing the battery is a must. And of course, this costs more money to do so and you'll lose your phone for at least 2 business days or more. Let's also not forget that this will incur an additional factory reset (not a big deal to me, but others will hate this.) I'll be looking at square traid and what Samsung is offering, but this troubles me as this is an added cost and time involved.
Let's call it an additional US $130 to guarantee a battery replacement for my future backup phone (compared to a $20 replacement for removables).

next we have micro SD card.
Sure we have the cloud, but that is only good for pics, documents and music as far as I know. But what about videos? Does the cloud help with that? I'm not sure, I've never tried. And this phone has a great camera that shoots even 4k video. So if I do start to shoot some videos at birthday partys, how will the cloud help me if I'm not on an unlimited data plan and I need to clear up some space because a 10 min 4k compressed video takes up almost 3.5 gigs of storage? Imagine it's Christmas and you shoot 3 videos and take 20 photos. Do you think that you can get by with only 32gb of storage? I'm a gamer too (the games I play are 1 to 2 gb each and some of the save files are as large as the game) , and this drastically magnifies the issue with storage.

But you say that SD cards are slower than system memory? True. But SD cards are fast enough to play videos and display pics without issue (even 4k). This forces me to skip the base model and get a 64gb model that might not have the color I want at the time of release or within the next 3 months. Of course this will increase my costs once again and let's say it's an additional US $100.

I would love to get an S6 edge in green to keep it as a collectable. I think it's drop dead gorgeous. But that is another US $100. I just don't think that I can do that with the already increased price of the standard S6 but I may if it's available within the first 2 months... And it will have to be the 64gb model or better for me to even think about it.

But with all that I said, I'm still going to get the normal S6 at least. Why?

Because I just don't think anything will be better for my needs. I'm not into phablets so the note 4 is out of the question. Yet the G3 did fit in my hand nicely and I love turning on and off my screen with gestures with my m8. so the G4 is still in the running regardless that the leaks of the 810 chipset on the m9 might be frantically Hot.

So what are my needs and why do I want the S6 so much? Is a combination of 3 things.

Camera:
While I don't use my phone as much as some of you to take photos. I do want to use it when I don't have my digital camera on me. I also realised that when I do take pics with my cellphone it is mostly in low light. Thankfully Samsung not only put out a phone with great camera software, but also had an F1.9 lens with OIS. This is very important to me and was one of the major reasons for wanting this phone. I'll finally have a phone that I can rely on to capture the moment in both the home and at bars/restaurants.

Dual wireless charging:
This isn't that important but is gratefully appreciated when I goto the mall or any Starbucks. I tend to never carry a spare cord or charger with me and thankfully I can now just plop my phone down on a charging pad and lauph at all the people who have a dying battery with no way to charge thier phone. And not having to care if I'm on a PMA or Qi charging pad only makes this better.
I have a huge feeling that more and more restaurants and coffee shops will install wireless charging pads within the next 2 years.

Being able to quick charge at home with or without on a wireless charger is only icing on the cake.

Finally Samsung pay:
Winter is almost over (Ok not here in the north east) and summer is just around the corner. So I'll no longer be dressed with coats that offer plenty of pockets. I'll be in shorts and Polo shirts with minimal pockets. I tend to not even carry my wallet when I'm in bathing shorts or basketball shorts. During this time of year I mostly carry just my keys and my phone... maybe some money.

Now while it might be quite normal in Japan and in most places in Europe, FINALLY in the US I'll be able to make mobile payments using my phone at almost every retail store and restaurant. This my friends is a huge deal with me during the summer months. I'll no longer have to carry my credit card on me as I'm always worried that it will fall out of one of the few pockets I have during this time. Instead all I'll have to do is tap any MST reader in the store and be in my way with a huge smile on my face. You know that I'm going to freak out allot of cashiers in the first month or two before they are used to me doing this! 😜

Of course there are other reasons why I'm getting the S6 too. but without a good camera, dual wireless charging, and Samsung pay I might have looked elsewhere.

But Warpdrive, your a big HTC fan how can you do this? While I could live with the m9 I just don't see it as an upgrade compared to the m7 or m8 in the camera department. Especially if coming from the m7 the loss of an F2.0 lens with OIS to me is just going backwards. It was bad enough that the m8 lost the OIS, but now having an F2.2 lens w/o OIS is bad for low light. I just can't do that to myself and go another year or two without being able to shoot in low light. The rest of the phone is barely an upgrade if you have the m7 or m8. It's still going to be a great phone and HTC never gets enough credit for the UI and the wonderful idea that they put all of thier software in the playstore so you never have to wait for a carrier to launch a major update for your camera or something. I'll also miss text reflow when reading online... I hope that Firefox still has reflow, but I'm not sure and will have to test it out. Also a naked m8 on a Seidio holster while all dressed up gets you lots of compliments.

While I still worry a little about the battery life, the rest of the S6 is intriguing.

Posted via Android Central App using the all new HTC One (m8)

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I also am a huge HTC fan. incredible 1 and 2-. m7 and m8-. I just purchased off contract a note 4.... HTC will not get my money this time around-. I need better quicker battery with a good camera. ill give up the speakers for that. HTC got lazy so ill move on-

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm pleased to hear you've finally made your decision, some of us aren't so lucky :(

I am waiting for more reviews before I make such a commitment

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm pleased to hear you've finally made your decision, some of us aren't so lucky :(

I totally understand, that's why I posted this and stated my thoughts.

For anyone who never had the m7 or the m8, the m9 will be a great device. I'll also miss the speakers and the great power output of the headphone jack.

My m8 will now be my backup phone so maybe I won't miss the speakers that much.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
You can talk all you want about fast charging and dual wireless bla bla bla all you want. It is not going to help when in a year or slightly longer you'll need to have the battery replaced. The only solution NOW is to get a good insurance policy and then using it to replace the battery.
If you let others in your family use your old phones or sell them, replacing the battery is a must. And of course, this costs more money to do so and you'll lose your phone for at least 2 business days or more. Let's also not forget that this will incur an additional factory reset (not a big deal to me, but others will hate this.)

I don't get it, there are already threads on how the back will be able to be removed and you'll have access replace the battery, it's in the manual. Maybe it's not for the faint of heart but many here will do it and I don't think it's a stretch to say this service will be available at the stores. YouTube will probably have 20 vids on this the first month it comes out. Not sure I get all the drama over this issue.

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Have fun voiding the warranty doing it Samsung already is known for terrible customer support and not budging when the warranties are voided removing the battery will do just that

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Have fun voiding the warranty doing it Samsung already is known for terrible customer support and not budging when the warranties are voided removing the battery will do just that

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

By the time the battery needs to be replaced the device won't be in warranty anyway - at least not with Samsung. Like Inders99 said, there will be many videos and I'm certain many local cell phone repair shops will offer the service.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

For anyone who never had the m7 or the m8, the m9 will be a great device. I'll also miss the speakers and the great power output of the headphone jack.

Once you get the S6 and use a device that has a non-removable battery and no sd card you'll see it's not that bad. While I've had many Samsung devices in the past, I really like HTC as well. And LG. I was set on the M9 this time around because I was caught up in the renders that were leaked and turned out to be well....renders. After seeing the end design the M9 isn't a device I'm willing to pay full donkey for but I may pick one up from Swappa or Marketplace but that will be dependent on the reviews. The speakers on the M7 (had one of those:)) and M8 are awesome and too bad Samsung doesn't have them.

In any event, enjoy the S6 - I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
By the time the battery needs to be replaced the device won't be in warranty anyway - at least not with Samsung. Like Inders99 said, there will be many videos and I'm certain many local cell phone repair shops will offer the service.

Totally agree. Also can't see any going through the pain of swapping a battery on the go.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Once you get the S6 and use a device that has a non-removable battery and no sd card you'll see it's not that bad. While I've had many Samsung devices in the past, I really like HTC as well. And LG. I was set on the M9 this time around because I was caught up in the renders that were leaked and turned out to be well....renders. After seeing the end design the M9 isn't a device I'm willing to pay full donkey for but I may pick one up from Swappa or Marketplace but that will be dependent on the reviews. The speakers on the M7 (had one of those:)) and M8 are awesome and too bad Samsung doesn't have them.

In any event, enjoy the S6 - I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

After hearing the M9 specs, it dropped on my list of replacements for my GS4 and while anecdotal, I want the hottest phone but not literally. HTC chose incremental improvement rout which would be great if they were Apple or Samsung but they can't afford too many more missteps.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

I can't guarantee it but i think you will be happy with your decision. Congrats.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
After hearing the M9 specs, it dropped on my list of replacements for my GS4 and while anecdotal, I want the hottest phone but not literally. HTC chose incremental improvement rout which would be great if they were Apple or Samsung but they can't afford too many more missteps.

I hear ya - keeping my eye on the G4 too. :)

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I hear ya - keeping my eye on the G4 too. :)

So far it's curvy (a deal killer right off the bat for me), as big or bigger (deal killer #2), but you know how rumors go...I'll also wait for it to come out or at least "confirmed" rumors, and maybe a little bit of time to see how buggy the GS6 is.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
So far it's curvy (a deal killer right off the bat for me), as big or bigger (deal killer #2), but you know how rumors go...I'll also wait for it to come out or at least "confirmed" rumors, and maybe a little bit of time to see how buggy the GS6 is.

I got caught up in the M9 renders and I'm not doing that again. Like you said, I'm waiting until the official reveal.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

I'll be able to get an extended warranty from Samsung for $99
2 years defective instead of one so replace a battery if needed. 3 replacement per 24 months that I should have stated in my original posting. 2 business days turn around. It's too silly not to do it with a glass phone. And you ship back your phone after you get your new one. No loss or stolen.
Or what ever is cheaper then a carrier.

I should look up square traid.

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site

im waiting for the verge to drop their review! it'll help me determine whether i should get the s6 or just wait for the iphone 6s.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I'll be able to get an extended warranty from Samsung for $99
2 years defective instead of one so replace a battery if needed. 3 replacement per 24 months that I should have stated in my original posting. 2 business days turn around. It's too silly not to do it with a glass phone. And you ship back your phone after you get your new one. No loss or stolen.
Or what ever is cheaper then a carrier.

I should look up square traid.

I know it's not super helpful, but when I bought my Galaxy S3, the square trade warranty was $99 as well and covered everything for 2 years. It may cost more for the S6. They ship a new phone over night and then you ship the old one back after you get it. I think there is a $25 deductible though and I'm not sure how many times you can use it in the 2 year period.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I know it's not super helpful, but when I bought my Galaxy S3, the square trade warranty was $99 as well and covered everything for 2 years. It may cost more for the S6. They ship a new phone over night and then you ship the old one back after you get it. I think there is a $25 deductible though and I'm not sure how many times you can use it in the 2 year period.

Still quite helpful and I was thinking it was around the numbers you listed. Overnight is better too.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Glad you made up mind on S6. Good luck with it.

The problem for this year, at least first half, is that there is no good other option unless you move up to phablet like Note 4. This is mainly due to overheat issue with S810. If M9 is struggling with heat even with 1080p screen, I don't see how G4 would do better with that processor and 5.6" QHD screen. According to Tweakers report yesterday M9 not only heats up way more than others, it does quite poorly on battery too, only marginally better than Nexus 5. I'm sure HTC will address it somewhat before release but I don't see how it can be done other than more aggressive CPU throttling. I'd rather avoid any 810 chip based phone now. Probably Qualcomm will address issues in next chip like 815, 820 but those will come in Fall at earliest.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Still quite helpful and I was thinking it was around the numbers you listed. Overnight is better too.

Actually it is the same $99. Unfortunately the deductible is $75 though. Kind of a tough call. They do have great service though so you don't have to worry about that. So you're looking at either throwing away $99 or using the warranty but it end up costing you $175 total. Seems kind of steep.

Edit: I don't understand what this forums deal is with links but I tried 5 times to edit the link to get it to work and it won't. Just add the usual www to: squaretrade.com/product/smartphone-warranty1