S6 review said to be a masterpiece

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
According to GSMArena's battery test, the S6 scores 83% better on web browsing and 70% better on video playback compared to the Nexus 5.

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
That is impressive. My Nexus 5 never lasts a day. If you want to compare battery tests, GSMArena rated the S6 at 64h and the Nexus 5 is rated at 40h.

Nexus 5 -> LG Nexus 5 battery life test - GSMArena Blog
Galaxy S6 -> Samsung Galaxy S6 review: Subject Zero - page 3 - GSMArena.com

Thanks for the links. Based on how the hardcore group use their mobile phones, i would consider myself between low/medium user. Some days I use it more than others, but I can generally get a full day out of it...if im using it more frequent (youtube video watching) ill get to about 9-10pm, thats pulling it off the charge at 8am. S6 will more than meet my needs based on the feedback.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
What about the Droid Turbo? I know it's just on Verizon, but I'm surprised it gets so little talk.

The single biggest factor for me is size...by a long shot. I'm not a phablet fan, I don't even like the current regular size phones. My GS3 is at the outer limits of my liking and the S6 will be bigger, the Turbo looked clunky when I saw it this past fall since I was considering the Moto line. My phone is my business line and I'm strapped to it all day & evenings (unfortunately...these aren't "fun" devices for me like so many others here) so "pocketability" is important for me.

Maybe the GS6 is close in size to the Turbo, but I'll still probably wind up with the GS6 since it's thinner.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
My Nexus 5 still has 10% by the time i get to bed...what would be the equivalent to the S6? I know N5 is rated one of the worst battery phones.

Here's a cool tool that someone else just showed me: Battery life tests - GSMArena.com

You can adjust the slider to your usage and it will adjust the battery times. But it looks like the S6 should be like heaven to you coming from the nexus 5.

Unfortunately for me, the Droid Turbo is one of the devices that I'm considering and that appears to blow the S6 out of the water.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
The single biggest factor for me is size...by a long shot. I'm not a phablet fan, I don't even like the current regular size phones. My GS3 is at the outer limits of my liking and the S6 will be bigger, the Turbo looked clunky when I saw it this past fall since I was considering the Moto line. My phone is my business line and I'm strapped to it all day & evenings (unfortunately...these aren't "fun" devices for me like so many others here) so "pocketability" is important for me.

Maybe the GS6 is close in size to the Turbo, but I'll still probably wind up with the GS6 since it's thinner.

I don't like phablets either. But yes, if small and thin is your biggest factor then the S6 is probably the best phone for you. The turbo is 3mm taller and wider and 4 mm thicker. I'd pay double the price of the S6 if they put the Turbo's battery in it and increased it to that size.

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't like phablets either. But yes, if small and thin is your biggest factor then the S6 is probably the best phone for you. The turbo is 3mm taller and wider and 4 mm thicker. I'd pay double the price of the S6 if they put the Turbo's battery in it and increased it to that size.

I wanted the Turbo and I really hoped it would have been the Nexus 6. But being Verizon only, I'm out.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Here's a cool tool that someone else just showed me: Battery life tests - GSMArena.com

You can adjust the slider to your usage and it will adjust the battery times. But it looks like the S6 should be like heaven to you coming from the nexus 5.

Unfortunately for me, the Droid Turbo is one of the devices that I'm considering and that appears to blow the S6 out of the water.

Wow thanks for the link....based on those usage tests, the Nexus 5 is the worst phone i've had since the iPhone 3G battery wise! This includes the Lumia 920 and 1020! I cant say im really surprised, based on my experience it makes sense.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
What about the Droid Turbo? I know it's just on Verizon, but I'm surprised it gets so little talk. Sure, it's a little "dated" as far as the processor goes since it runs the 805, but it turns out that may be a blessing since the 810 chip is horrible. It has a huge 3900mAh battery, wireless Qi charging, fast charging (60% in 30 minutes so it's better than the S6), splash resistant. In fact I was pretty set on getting that phone until the S6 was released and was blown away with the specs. However if the battery on the S6 truly is bad, I still may consider the Turbo. Only thing the Turbo doesn't have is the fingerprint scanning and Samsung Pay, obviously. But if you just want a phone with new tech and wireless/quick charging that has great battery life, it should definitely be considered.

Another plus to that phone in my book is the Moto Assist apps. Some of them are extremely useful.

Not to mention it's Kevlar. Not only is it premium, it might actually be bulletproof (ok, probably not, don't try that at home kids).

I wish they'd relax the exclusivity a bit, it's a killer phone, and if Moto could get it onto other carriers it would probably make a better flagship than the X.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Just read the review, and of course I like everyone else is going to harp on battery size. I thought this was telling though, as it speaks to SoT:

And even if you do decide to stream video non-stop, you’ll still manage a solid seven to eight hours of entertainment before the battery runs dry.

I know SAMOLED likes movies better than Facebook when it comes to power consumption, but that's still a very solid screen-on-time if accurate.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Just read the review, and of course I like everyone else is going to harp on battery size. I thought this was telling though, as it speaks to SoT:

I know SAMOLED likes movies better than Facebook when it comes to power consumption, but that's still a very solid screen-on-time if accurate.

Yeah, it doesn't exactly mesh with the paragraph before it when he makes it sound like if you're not a power user then you shouldn't have a problem waiting until night time before charging. 8 hours of SOT is definitely a power user. Unless they have this heavily optimized to play video efficiently.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
GSMarena's battery tool is useful but I wouldn't put too much weight on it for comparing phones. The way they rate endurance seems quite inconsistent to me. For example, S4 is rated higher than S6 despite much lower talk, browsing time. Even G3, G flex2 with incredible talk time are rated lower than S4. It doesn't seem to correlate with real world very well. And I take their S6 numbers as preliminary anyway.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, it doesn't exactly mesh with the paragraph before it when he makes it sound like if you're not a power user then you shouldn't have a problem waiting until night time before charging. 8 hours of SOT is definitely a power user. Unless they have this heavily optimized to play video efficiently.

That's what I'm thinking, that probably all happens on the LITTLE cores. Gaming might use comparable screen power but require more CPU (and pointedly GPU) power.

Still they say that the short charging metric gets 2 hours of HD streaming or 4 hours of "use." This is an imprecise measure, but would math out to 16-18 hours of "use" if you can stream HD for 8-9 hours...and remember, streaming also involves using the cellular radio. A lot.

I'd like to know what they define as "use" but it sounds like it might last the day depending on load.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
We all need to wait until members here can review the device and provide some battery info. I can't see it sucking but I need a warm and fuzzy.

Posted via S5 or Turbo.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
We all need to wait until members here can review the device and provide some battery info. I can't see it sucking but I need a warm and fuzzy.

Posted via S5 or Turbo.

You realize that's just going to provoke the same arguments about differing use cases, right?

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
GSMarena's battery tool is useful but I wouldn't put too much weight on it for comparing phones. The way they rate endurance seems quite inconsistent to me. For example, S4 is rated higher than S6 despite much lower talk, browsing time. Even G3, G flex2 with incredible talk time are rated lower than S4. It doesn't seem to correlate with real world very well. And I take their S6 numbers as preliminary anyway.

actually, gsmarena rating includes standby performance. Good video/web/talk can surely has bad standby. Since most people's phone spend lot of time in standby, this perhaps is the most significant thing gsmsarena considers that nobody else test.

In my judgement, gsmarena is the only one I fully trust.

Of course, Sammy still have time to push out 0 day updates to fix s6's standby performance, which I suspect is bad and respincible for soso overall battery life right now.

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Samsung have put the same processor from the S6 and S6 edge in to their new smartwatch.

If the processor is efficient enough to be put in to a tiny watch then I imagine the S6's battery life will be phenomenal

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Samsung have put the same processor from the S6 and S6 edge in to their new smartwatch.

If the processor is efficient enough to be put in to a tiny watch then I imagine the S6's battery life will be phenomenal

There is a thread showing s6's cpu battery efficiency is almost twice as good as s5. That 14nm exynos octa is indeed phenomenal. Obviously the problem is most apps and services don't work cpu that hard, device battery life is, in most cases, differs vastly from what cpu battery efficiency may lead one to believe.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
You realize that's just going to provoke the same arguments about differing use cases, right?

Yes, of course the whining and crying will continue but at least it'll be with people using the device on a daily basis.

Just wait until release and these threads will blow up with complaints. Nature of the beast though.

Posted via S5 or Turbo.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Having read through the article, I didn't see anything earth shattering. Again, this a preliminary review so battery comments are fine and in perspective. It all depends on your settings and your degree of use or abuse. You also have rapid charging, ultra power save mode, dual wireless charging standards, and portable charging accessories. Concerns are more warranted once we have production unit reviews on the battery and the phone itself. My decision to purchase or pass depends upon more than just how the battery performs given the above mentioned options.