Lollipop 5.1 on the GS6

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
April would be remarkably optimistic for the US Carriers. I'd say the October to December time frame would be more likely. Samsung has to do their modifications to 5.1, then test it then send it to the carriers to modify and test and go back and forth a few times to iron down any bugs. To get an update to the OTA stage a month after it's public launch is a bit unheard of, outside of Nexus. Plus I bet they are waiting to see what bugs pop up in the release software that they could fix in 5.1 to avoid trying to push multiple small updates though carrier certification.

Sprint and T-Mobile should be fast, relatively speaking, with Verizon and AT&T taking up the rear. AT&T has been pretty abysmal with updates lately though.

AndroidBlizzard

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
What is new and exciting in 5.1?

I honestly have been fine with Android. Going from Ice Cream to Jelly Bean felt like the same thing, I can't imagine Lollipop would be much different than some behind the scenes stuff for developers.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
April would be remarkably optimistic for the US Carriers. I'd say the October to December time frame would be more likely. Samsung has to do their modifications to 5.1, then test it then send it to the carriers to modify and test and go back and forth a few times to iron down any bugs. To get an update to the OTA stage a month after it's public launch is a bit unheard of, outside of Nexus. Plus I bet they are waiting to see what bugs pop up in the release software that they could fix in 5.1 to avoid trying to push multiple small updates though carrier certification.

Sprint and T-Mobile should be fast, relatively speaking, with Verizon and AT&T taking up the rear. AT&T has been pretty abysmal with updates lately though.

Carriers are a bit slow which is why I hope they get better as there has been more of a clamor for faster updates. 5.1 will have been out for over a month at go live date which should give Samsung and the carriers to add their touches.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I would hope sammy work quickly, but take necessary time it need to make the update work.

Everybody knows how 5.0 was a disaster on battery for many devices, I was really worried too, turns out sammy pulled some remarkable tricks, my Tmobile note 3, updated to 5.0 (not 5.0.1 or 5.0.2), and battery improved by 10%, standby has been stellar (0-2% drop during 8 hr standby overnight).

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
A bug (memory leak) has already been identified in 5.1 and has been fixed internally, but not released publicly. That means there is likely another update coming from Google shortly. I actually hope Samsung and others hold off on these updates and ensure all the bugs are worked out. That is one of the reasons that OEMs take longer to get out updates, they have more work (due to their customization and carrier sign off) and more customer support issues to worry about.

Nexus owners will always be happy to get updates first and I used to love it too; however, lollipop on my Nexus 5 has changed that view somewhat for me.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Carriers are a bit slow which is why I hope they get better as there has been more of a clamor for faster updates. 5.1 will have been out for over a month at go live date which should give Samsung and the carriers to add their touches.

In AT&T's case they have slowed down the updates, though you could argue with the 5.0 updates bugging out they have been holding off on pushing the updates for their most popular devices (M8, S5, etc) until everything has ironed out. Plus, really, most average consumers don't have any idea about updates, or care all that much about them unless their phone is buggy.

As for the month timeframe, that is still really short. A .1 update is less work, but when I worked for Sprint a year or so ago I think most updates were in testing on their side for about a month if nothing went wrong.

All I really want is for the update to work. If that means I won't get 5.1 until late in the year, I'm good. 5.0 has just been too buggy all around for me to want the to rush or go fast.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
No Android 5.1 builds are under development for the Galaxy Note 4 or any other Samsung device

There seems to be some disagreement about the report :/. It's not surprising to me that Samsung hasn't started on 5.1 yet; waiting until the S6 is out for a bit and they can start seeing whatever bugs have cropped up with that release so they can fix it in a 5.1 update makes sense. Plus Google has not had the best track record with 5.0 updates, 5.1.1 might be right around the corner for all we know.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
No Android 5.1 builds are under development for the Galaxy Note 4 or any other Samsung device

There seems to be some disagreement about the report :/. It's not surprising to me that Samsung hasn't started on 5.1 yet; waiting until the S6 is out for a bit and they can start seeing whatever bugs have cropped up with that release so they can fix it in a 5.1 update makes sense. Plus Google has not had the best track record with 5.0 updates, 5.1.1 might be right around the corner for all we know.

Maybe a newb question, but the article references Samsung creating 5.1. Wouldn't Google be doing this?

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Maybe a newb question, but the article references Samsung creating 5.1. Wouldn't Google be doing this?

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

Probably just the way it's phrased in the story, but it likely just means Samsung has yet to start developing it's own build of 5.1 for it's phones. Or, in other words, Google builds the base, so to speak, and then Samsung goes in and starts making all those lovely changes to turn it into the glorious TouchWiz every loves/hates and they haven't started that yet.

Note 5 will likely launch with 5.1 or 5.1.X and the other phones will start getting it around that late summer time frame with the S6 up first. Not that that means anything as demonstrated by the AT&T S5 still stuck on KitKat long after 5.0 was widely released.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey