Galaxy S6 review - Mobile Syrup

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
mmm.. they also mentioned worse than s5 battery....

obviously with all the pros as always, screen, cpu, design.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
As a caveat, he did say that he made it to 10pm every night. So while it may be worse than the S5, it's not the Nexus 5.

Kind of amusing that after reading a glowing review full of superlatives, the take away for a lot of people is, "battery kinda sucks".

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I've never heard anyone complain about battery life on the S5 until the botched update to 5.0 from Verizon. If the S6 is close to my S5 as far as the battery is concerned, I'll be satisfied

Posted via the Android Central App

DrAkO82

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm an Apple fan user (iPhone 6 plus, iphone 5S, 2 iPod, iPad mini, iMac, Apple TV) but this phone make me crazy...especially the Edge.

The Apple Watch disappointed me, especially the price (519$ for the 42mm here in Canada) + the price of the iPhone goes up by around 100$/125$ and the buggy iOS 8, i start to begin tired of Apple...

I would like to give a chance to Samsung (which i told in the past i never buy a Samsung phones) but i'm afraid to make a move and regret it later, especially when we are so invested in the family in Apple product. If i make a move, i'd probably buy the 32GB Edge + Gear Live.

I'm able to do around 36 hours with one charge on my 6 Plus (8-9 hours on-screen).

Sorry for my english, that's not my first language.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I've never heard anyone complain about battery life on the S5 until the botched update to 5.0 from Verizon. If the S6 is close to my S5 as far as the battery is concerned, I'll be satisfied

People,who want two days use after web browsing, playing games, texting , being on social media and talking til all hours wnat too much from a smartphone. Minimum expectation for the GS6 battery is equal to the GS5. Gravy would be anything that execceds last years model especially considering its a smaller battery powering a much better display, chipset, and other features not present in the GS5 or not included in it.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
He didn't state any detail on how he tested battery life or compared to S5. So I'm not sure how he could say it's worse than S5. But those battery stats pages seems to suggest it's similar to my S5 now. Mine had very good time with 4.4.2 initially but took some hit after 4.4.4. S5 actually has quite decent battery life, much better than S4, S3. So being similar is not bad thing. But I expected more for all those hardware improvements. Other things like screen, camera, speed seem all great though.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Just watched the review, avid viewer of the website being I'm Canadian. 3-4 hours onscreen with battery, really? I'm not freaking out over this at all, again I'm a nexus 5 owner so pretty much anything is better...but I was really hoping for 6-7 onscreen ...maybe with my very low brightness (keep my N5 at around 10% brightness) I will get better onscreen. Otherwise he loves the phone, good review.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
Optimism and Pessimism are nothing but that until we get a bulk of users giving their feedback.
When I researched the Note2, the posts were overwhelmingly good regarding reception and battery life.
So I bought it, and my experience is great reception and great battery life.
And that's why I've never been an early adapter with the regrets that come with making a hasty purchase.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Just watched the review, avid viewer of the website being I'm Canadian. 3-4 hours onscreen with battery, really? I'm not freaking out over this at all, again I'm a nexus 5 owner so pretty much anything is better...but I was really hoping for 6-7 onscreen ...maybe with my very low brightness (keep my N5 at around 10% brightness) I will get better onscreen. Otherwise he loves the phone, good review.

But you shouldn't have to cripple a device in order to get a days worth of battery life. At least I refuse to do so.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like it is reasonable to expect a full days use. It all depends upon whether you use auto brightness or what the screen brightness is set at. Do you enable GPS location on the phone, do you leave wifi on all the time. Do you have apps that are resource intensive and or are dependent on GPS? All these things and the combination thereof influence your overall battery up time. Sure, according to the article, there are a lot of Apple influences.Duh.... Without Apple you wouldn't have android or Samsung. Beyond the cosmetic similarities, there are a ton of things that make it the gold standard and not the iPhone which will spend the next couple of iterations catching up to where the GS6 is today. By then, the Design with a Purpose philosophy may bring us a even better successor to the GS6.

John Kar

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Not too confident about the battery life. I know that the reference ARM cores for 64-bit are very power hungry, and Samsung tried to alleviate this using their 14nm finfet fabs, but I don't think the efficiency of that node process was enough to overcome that power-sucking CPU cores.

The one thing that's pretty much guaranteed is that the S6 will have the best battery life out of all flagships released this year thanks to Qualcomm going with reference ARM cores manufactured on 20nm nodes. It's funny how every flagship this year will have lower battery life than its predecessor. Thankfully to those buying the S6, the S6's battery life won't be that much behind the S5. You'll probably get around 10-30 minutes less SoT.

The other flagships using the 810, however, are reporting 40-50% drop in battery life.

If you're patient, I would wait until next year for the S7. Now that Samsung has completed their 14nm finfet fabs and are ahead of TSMC, they can focus more on designing their own CPU and GPU cores, which they've been doing since 2013. This means moving away from the power-hungry ARM reference cores.
The Exynos 7420 is the first part of their 2-step plan to design mobile processors. The S7 will definitely have Samsung's custom CPU and GPU cores.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Very good points. According to AC review of G flex 2, some early reviews of M9, it seems they will have even worse battery life hit from their predecessors despite using the same resolution screens. I would avoid any phone with 810 for now.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else excited about how fast and smooth this thing is being said to be? I sure am.

There is definitely a lot to be excited about with this iteration. People need to appreciate what Samsung has accomplished in such a short time to rethink design philosophy and translate it into action.

TheMatrix31

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm blown away by people who get 6 or 7 hours of on-screen time. That's insane to me. I'll have to be taught how to do this if/when I get the GS6.

Right now on my One M7, GSAM tells me my average on-screen time is 1 hour and 50 minutes per charge. I mean, I've always wanted more, just don't know what else I can do.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm blown away by people who get 6 or 7 hours of on-screen time. That's insane to me. I'll have to be taught how to do this if/when I get the GS6.

Right now on my One M7, GSAM tells me my average on-screen time is 1 hour and 50 minutes per charge. I mean, I've always wanted more, just don't know what else I can do.

Again, take the battery results with a grain of salt. The results published so far, some very preliminary and very early while others are more recent, are not very consistent. The result vary so much, in this case, possibly due to settings, resource intensive apps, and leaving multiple things running, or, in others reviewed at the MWC, possible early firmware. Once production unit reviews make it out there, we will have a better idea and maybe the results will be more consistent. While battery life is important, it isn't the only thing to consider. Personal research and testing are the only true measures on whether to buy or pass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hisoka_Ryuzaki