Galaxy S6 review - Mobile Syrup

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Also, if you were going to completely "make up" a review for the sake of getting youtube views and clicks to your website, without actually having a test unit, your guess would be it would have worse battery life due to the downgrade in size and more improved screen.

More of a reason to wait for those official reviews.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm blown away by people who get 6 or 7 hours of on-screen time. That's insane to me. I'll have to be taught how to do this if/when I get the GS6.

Right now on my One M7, GSAM tells me my average on-screen time is 1 hour and 50 minutes per charge. I mean, I've always wanted more, just don't know what else I can do.

first, disable sync and turn off data when not in use

second, clear running apps from time to time, use soft reboot app.

Third, reboot the phone when it got hot for no reason.

Lastly, on Amoles screen, use dark themed apps.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
first, disable sync and turn off data when not in use

second, clear running apps from time to time, use soft reboot app.

Third, reboot the phone when it got hot for no reason.

Lastly, on Amoles screen, use dark themed apps.

Another good tip. Turn off at night while charging. Turn on first thing to get updates. Rinse and repeat daily. No problems.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Another good tip. Turn off at night while charging. Turn on first thing to get updates. Rinse and repeat daily. No problems.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with sammy's lollipop update ( at least I hope so!)

After lollipop, my note 3 consumes precisely 0-1% battery overnight. So leaving it on overnight will not be as bad as before. GSMarena showed that current software on S6 may have bad standby, I am hoping either 1) my tips above would fix it; or 2) sammy will push out a 0-day software upgrade to fix it.

BTW, I always dislike overnight charging which keeps battery being at 100%/high voltage all night long. With fast charging, just charge it in the morning for half an hr is what I would recommend.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Have we now cleared up that frequent fast charging won't wear out the battery quicker?

Not sure we ever discussed this issue at all, maybe you should open a new thread on it.

On top of my head, I want to say no. Although frequent plugging in may damage usb port quicker.

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
It was a pretty heated debate in another thread.

Someone claimed that you shouldn't frequently rely on quick charge and only use it for desperate situations as it wears out the battery quicker.

Others naturally disagreed

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
It was a pretty heated debate in another thread.

Someone claimed that you shouldn't frequently rely on quick charge and only use it for desperate situations as it wears out the battery quicker.

Others naturally disagreed

a link please, i would love to read some of the argument.

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Sorry, I just can't find it. Had a good look and it could either be in the M9 or S6 forum.

It went on for at least 2 pages and most people disagreed it would effect the longevity of the battery

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think you will be pleasantly surprised with sammy's lollipop update ( at least I hope so!)

After lollipop, my note 3 consumes precisely 0-1% battery overnight. So leaving it on overnight will not be as bad as before. GSMarena showed that current software on S6 may have bad standby, I am hoping either 1) my tips above would fix it; or 2) sammy will push out a 0-day software upgrade to fix it.

Lollipop update seems to be all over the place for battery life, especially on samsung phones. It was not received very well on S5 and there are many unhappy S5 owners after that, especially on verizon. I guess samsung needs to push 5.02 or 5.1 out to fix it for S5. Good that your Note 3 is not such case. It seems Lollipop's impact on battery varies quite a bit with version, device. I hope google sorts it out with 5.1x and later.

Coney718

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Nice review. He had great things to say about the camera which makes me very happy. Easily the best camera Samsung has put in a phone to date. Not worried about battery life. My wife S5 lasts a full day. If the S6 is anywhere close to that I'll be satisfied. I have no problem charging my phone every night. Its become routine for me no matter what phone I have.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I never installed the Lollipop upgrade on my S5 because I didn't have enough free storage. Kind of glad I didn't, and with the S6 Edge around the corner, I'll just ignore the nag screens.

I'm expecting the S6 to dip a bit below the S5 in battery endurance, but not drastically so. With wireless charging, I will be able to top off throughout the day more easily. Right now, I have to open the flap to charge the phone and untether it when I get a call or step away from my desk. It's hassle enough that I often neglect to charge it throughout the day. My only concern is those times when I'm out and about all day snapping pictures and such -- that's when the spare battery really came in handy. I have a couple of portable chargers, but they're 10K mAh and kind of huge. I'll likely invest in something smaller and more portable for day trips.

The bottom line is, don't buy the S6 if your primary concern is battery life. At the same time, if the initial reviews are representative, it doesn't look like any of the Snapdragon 810 based phones (basically from LG, HTC, and eventually Sony) are going to have really good battery -- like the S6, they're going to be a step back from the previous generation. And that's without an increase in screen resolution.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Lollipop update seems to be all over the place for battery life, especially on samsung phones. It was not received very well on S5 and there are many unhappy S5 owners after that, especially on verizon. I guess samsung needs to push 5.02 or 5.1 out to fix it for S5. Good that your Note 3 is not such case. It seems Lollipop's impact on battery varies quite a bit with version, device. I hope google sorts it out with 5.1x and later.

Google's major update messes up system like all the time. People really should at least wipe the cache and reboot a few times, if not outright hard reset it.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
if the initial reviews are representative, it doesn't look like any of the Snapdragon 810 based phones (basically from LG, HTC, and eventually Sony) are going to have really good battery -- like the S6, they're going to be a step back from the previous generation. And that's without an increase in screen resolution.

i think s6 has exynos octa 14nm 8-cores.... lol... lot of cores.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
In the Frandroid review thread, screen ontime of up to 7 hours were reported and claims by Samsung rep of 17 to 19 hours of normal use. Take it with a grain of salt but those numbers sound pretty good.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Until Apple comes up with an iPhone that can get a solid 2 days, this is a non-issue. For now all of them only get the 1 day of use.

Its hard to believe considering Apples fixation on super thin/sleek design over longevity/consumption.

Posted via the Android Central App

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Exactly - anything can sound good or look good on paper. The end user has the final say. :)

Real world testing will be the ultimate review. As long as I get the day out of it I'm good to go, I have no intention trekking across the Congo watching vids, listening to 20,000 songs, and playing games (I'm miss the experience anyway if I did that).