This is NOT a review of the S6. This is a first impression with a hands on with the S6.

My wife and I were out shopping today and one of the items on our agenda was to shop for a new cellular company. We ended up at a retail store and were talking with a salesperson about pricing and services and I told the salesperson that I wanted to wait until the new S6 and M9 were out before deciding to switch. While we were there a guy came in in dress attire and was talking to someone else there about three feet away from us. When I mentioned wanting to see the new S6 he looked over and said "you mean like this one" and handed me an S6 phone. I was startled and asked if he worked for Samsung and he told me that he did. I was able (with his permission) to look at, and handle the phone, go online with it and to work a few apps and do a little bit of my own quick tests.

The phone was a black S6 and he had it set up with a plain black background instead of some graphic type of wallpaper. I can tell you that this phone is absolutely as gorgeous looking as you've heard. I brought up some websites and then scrolled through them by swiping my thumb on the screen. There was no stutter or lag whatsoever and the scrolling was amazingly fast. I have an M8 and that has been my standard for a lag and stutter free phone and I can tell you that the S6 had no lag and no stutter and the scrolling was faster than my M8. The screen is nothing short of unbelievably bright sharp and clear. The phone itself looks every bit as high end as anything out there. I wasn't sure if I would like the glass back, from what I had seen in pictures if looked great but, in person and hands on, I loved everything about this phone. All the first impressions that have said how good this phone looks were not kidding and they are not wrong.

I had decided to hold off buying anything until the S6 and the M9 were both out, but today I decided to pick up the s6 as soon as it is available.

I had a good conversation with the guy talking about my background and when I was about to leave he handed me his business card saying that he never handed out his card to the general public but wanted me to have one and to contact him after I got the S6. I didn't look at the card until we got home and it turns out the guy (not giving his name out here) is Field Marketing Manager for Samsung Telecommunications America.

This in not intended to be any kind of review, it is only a first hands on impression of the S6. For me there is no longer any question of my next phone. Oh, and wait until you see the S6 Edge. Got to see it but didn't really get to play with it, but it is pure eye candy and if it runs as well as the S6 it is sure to be a phone to beat from the standpoint of both looks and function.
    03-18-2015 06:09 PM
    Sounds like you had an awesome shopping trip. And for what it's worth, the S6 and M9 both launch on April 10th.

Posted via S5 or Turbo.
    mango1228 likes this.
    03-18-2015 06:45 PM
    That's a cool story. You never know who you can run into these days

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-18-2015 06:52 PM
    Have to say I'm a bit jealous

But I already knew I'd be getting the S6 without having held one in my hands. Nobody makes better phones than Samsung anymore, it's not even close IMO.. coming from SII>S3>Note3>S5>Note4>Note Edge experience, and having owned all the Nexus and HTC phones along the way (yes I love tech). The S6 is going to be the phone that proves it to the doubters.

Can't wait to see the Note 5 too lol

On that "Note" Samsung makes the best tablets now too (have the Tab S 10.5) and watches IMO (Gear S here)

I guess I'm now a "fanboy", but Samsung has earned it, even with their less than stellar customer service (I mean seriously..)
    vegasdroid likes this.
    03-18-2015 07:00 PM
    So jealous. Was this at a carrier retail store....if so which one?
    03-18-2015 07:25 PM
    Sounds like you had a great experience. You won't be disappointed with the GS6.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device
    03-18-2015 07:47 PM
    So jealous. Was this at a carrier retail store....if so which one?
    I'm betting it was Best Buy. At least the local store has a Samsung area where they showcase all their goodies.
    03-18-2015 08:35 PM
    Awesome! I'm curious as to where you were able to test it out as well.
    03-18-2015 08:54 PM
    In Europe the Samsung experience locations you can test out the s6 in store, not yet in the us though.

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-19-2015 08:13 AM
    We are currently on Verizon and while their coverage is great, their attitude and customer service is not. We had shopped TMO who had sent out and iPhone 5s for us to test for 30 days. In our rural area the coverage was so bad that we took it back in to the store in just 3 days. Yesterday, we had gone to Sprint although I had serious misgivings I still wanted to see what they offered. The pricing and packages weren't so terrible but the people in their store (Manhattan, KS) were. We had left there and my wife spotted a US Cellular store so we went in there. It was in US Cellular that we met up with the guy from Samsung. He was talking to them about order numbers and placement.

No need to be jealous, I was only able to have the phone in my hands for about 20 minutes and I didn't get any offers of a free phone or an early buy. ;-)

This was not a demo unit, it was his personal phone so I didn't feel comfortable doing much with it. I wasn't about to open his contacts etc. I did ask permission to try out the browser to see how fast it responded and drew the webpages and then how fast they would scroll. As I stated earlier that speed of this phone is crazy fast with no lag and no stutter. Also, since it was his personal phone I wasn't about to ask if I could shoot a picture and then check it out in the gallery, so nothing to offer there.

But, the one thing I didn't mention yesterday that I do want to comment on is just how light and comfortable this phone felt in my hand. I have always loved how fast the M8 is but it is a tall phone and it is somewhat heavy. The S6 was incredibly easy to use one handed even though I don't have large hands and the light weight of the phone surprised me right off when he handed it to me. It is also very thin compared to my M8 and it is even smaller and more comfortable compared to my wife's S5. Samsung has really put out an amazing phone with the S6 and I'll be coming over to Samsung when this phone is released. I hadn't made up my mind but I had been thinking that I would be going with the M9 just because I liked the M8 so well, but that won't be happening now.

These are strictly my impressions and, as always, YMMV! I've been in the tech business for a long time (before retiring) and usually don't get all that excited about this kind of stuff, but I have to admit that even I am chomping at the bit now to get my hands on an S6 for myself even to the point of getting eye rolls from my wife.
    lindseybp likes this.
    03-19-2015 10:49 AM
    It is also very thin compared to my M8 and it is even smaller and more comfortable compared to my wife's S5.
    I thought the S6 and S5 were about the same size? Frankly, my only concern (apart from dismal battery life but that seems unlikely) is the overall size of the device. I'm not particularly fond of large phones and would probably go as big as a Nexus 5 but not much more than that.

Does it fit in jean pockets easily?
    03-19-2015 11:11 AM
    The S6 is a full 2mm narrower and 1.4mm thinner. It doesn't sound like much, but they make a huge difference in the way it feels in the hand. For instance take the back cover off of the S5 and see how that feels. That's roughly the difference in thickness between the S5 and S6.
    03-19-2015 11:31 AM
    I thought the S6 and S5 were about the same size? Frankly, my only concern (apart from dismal battery life but that seems unlikely) is the overall size of the device. I'm not particularly fond of large phones and would probably go as big as a Nexus 5 but not much more than that.

Does it fit in jean pockets easily?
    If you are comfortable with the Nexus 5, here is a size comparison for you.
    Visual Phone Size Comparison
    Note that you can choose "View Layered" button beneath the images to see the devices layered on each other. Additionally, for scaling purposes you could select your own phone, hold it up to your monitor, and calibrate the image (Calibrate button at top of image).
    jcp007 and dynot like this.
    03-19-2015 11:37 AM