03-21-2015 11:58 AM
57 123
tools
    Test du Samsung Galaxy S6

So like all the reviews of the S6 out there, the author mentions best display, best camera, insane UI speed (Possibly the smoothest phone out there), toned-down TW, impressive build quality, and other repeated-to-death pros about the S6.

Yeah, we know all that. What we really care about right now is the battery life.

Here are the battery life test results:

Frandroid Galaxy S6 Review - Let's talk about battery life-untitled.png

I find it odd that this is the 2nd French site that said the S6 had better battery life than the S5 while 2 other non-French sites said the S6 had slightly worse battery life.

What do you think? Could Frandroid and geekandcom be using a different firmware?
    03-18-2015 11:05 PM
    Hmmm, Im kind of skeptical that it says the S6 battery lasts longer than the Z3, which actually does last pretty long. A real life test will have to confirm that

Either way, I have no doubts about this phone...almost all the reviews have given it a great score overall....I think this will be the best phone of 2015
    03-19-2015 12:39 AM
    Hmmm, Im kind of skeptical that it says the S6 battery lasts longer than the Z3, which actually does last pretty long. A real life test will have to confirm that

Either way, I have no doubts about this phone...almost all the reviews have given it a great score overall....I think this will be the best phone of 2015
    Yeah, this is really weird. Battery life figures for this phone are all over the place depending on reviewer.

Half is saying it's slightly worse than the S5 while the other half is saying it's significantly better.

In any case, there was an OTA update for the S6 today. Around 350 MB in size. Let's hope there are some battery-life optimizations in that update.
    03-19-2015 12:43 AM
    Yeah, this is really weird. Battery life figures for this phone are all over the place depending on reviewer.

Half is saying it's slightly worse than the S5 while the other half is saying it's significantly better.

In any case, there was an OTA update for the S6 today. Around 350 MB in size. Let's hope there are some battery-life optimizations in that update.
    An OTA for the GS5 you mean?
    03-19-2015 01:10 AM
    An OTA for the GS5 you mean?
    No, for the S6.

Frandroid Galaxy S6 Review - Let's talk about battery life-update.jpg
    03-19-2015 01:12 AM
    No, for the S6.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	update.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	345.1 KB 
ID:	167397
    Ok. Just checking.
    03-19-2015 01:21 AM
    No, for the S6.

Name:	update.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	345.1 KB 
ID:	167397
    Snappie of the back of the phone?
    03-19-2015 01:21 AM

So like all the reviews of the S6 out there, the author mentions best display, best camera, insane UI speed (Possibly the smoothest phone out there), toned-down TW, impressive build quality, and other repeated-to-death pros about the S6.

Yeah, we know all that. What we really care about right now is the battery life.

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	152 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	167396

I find it odd that this is the 2nd French site that said the S6 had better battery life than the S5 while 2 other non-French sites said the S6 had slightly worse battery life.

What do you think? Could Frandroid and geekandcom be using a different firmware?
    ?? the battery test seems to be done in comparison with Z3, nexus 6, iphone 6, I don't see s5 in this chart. Are my eyes dying?????
    03-19-2015 03:46 AM
    I've noticed a lot of reviews are using heavy usage as a benchmark, such as playing videos or games.

I hope it performs just as well using things like whatsapp, emails, phone calls and web browsing. These are the things I use my phone for
    03-19-2015 04:43 AM
    I've noticed a lot of reviews are using heavy usage as a benchmark, such as playing videos or games.

I hope it performs just as well using things like whatsapp, emails, phone calls and web browsing. These are the things I use my phone for
    Kind of my pint. Different test conditions and different testers. It depends upon what typical a use actually is. Typical use varies from person to person. If I want to do gaming, xBox One, or the occasional app. More often than not, emails, texts, social media, schedules and web browsing. I am also more cognizant of keeping my phone charged depending on need. If I know that I am going to be away from a charger, I make it's fully charged and would result to powering saving mode though that has never happened.
    03-19-2015 06:13 AM

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	152 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	167396

I'm sorry but there's no way it last longer than the z3.
    03-19-2015 07:30 AM
    I'm sorry but there's no way it last longer than the z3.
    it seems his Z3 results are incorrect. Z3 should have much better battery than Nexus 6 and iPhone 6, if you take Z3 results out, the left over comparison may be valid.
    Alex_NJ likes this.
    03-19-2015 07:37 AM

Yeah, it's all over the place so far. But I guess it's not too surprising because none of them has reviewed final carrier version yet. They took pre-production international version activated on each local carrier for testing. This factor alone could account for difference in stand by, talk time. Also they all use it differently with camera, benchmarks, games, videos that impacts screen time significantly. I think they will start getting final carrier version couple of weeks before release, so that's when it's giving us better pictures.
    03-19-2015 08:47 AM

Yeah if this bests the Z3 battery life that will be spectacular....skeptical though...
    03-19-2015 08:52 AM
    Yeah if this bests the Z3 battery life that will be spectacular....skeptical though...
    I wouldn't bet on it either. But I think it's not impossible to match Z3 depending on how well OS, radio firmware is optimized. S6 has 21% less battery size than Z3 but has 20~30% better hardware component in several places.

The worst report so far (GSMarena) puts it at about 10% below S5 before Lollipop. Best ones go up to 75% better. I think we can expect S5 level at the minimum with production versions.
    03-19-2015 09:50 AM
    I wouldn't bet on it either. But I think it's not impossible to match Z3 depending on how well OS, radio firmware is optimized. S6 has 21% less battery size than Z3 but has 20~30% better hardware component in several places.

The worst report so far (GSMarena) puts it at about 10% below S5 before Lollipop. Best ones go up to 75% better. I think we can expect S5 level at the minimum with production versions.
    Starting with a smaller battery than the GS5, as long as it meets or slightly exceeds the GS5 is great.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device
    03-19-2015 10:15 AM
    U forgot to mention those result are obtained with full brightness
    Wifi test : web page that refrech every minute with notification off
    Video test : HD video
    03-19-2015 11:00 AM
    I will wait for real life usage to see battery. Battery tests can give a general idea but .. nothing beats real world .
    Inders99, smooth4lyfe and neiljay6 like this.
    03-19-2015 11:20 AM
    There's a very good chance this phone ends up with just average-slightly above average battery life for most people, but on the plus side, there are now at least 2 sites that claim it has outstanding battery life. Whoever uses their devices similarly to the way these couple sites test their devices are going to be very happy!

If it wasn't for the GSM Arena rating, the general consensus on the device right now would be that battery life is very good. Let's all hope GSM Arena's rating was wrong!
    03-19-2015 01:27 PM
    There's a very good chance this phone ends up with just average-slightly above average battery life for most people, but on the plus side, there are now at least 2 sites that claim it has outstanding battery life. Whoever uses their devices similarly to the way these couple sites test their devices are going to be very happy!

If it wasn't for the GSM Arena rating, the general consensus on the device right now would be that battery life is very good. Let's all hope GSM Arena's rating was wrong!
    Yep, and sadly, this should be end of discussion until the embargo is lifted
    03-19-2015 02:37 PM
    Yep, and sadly, this should be end of discussion until the embargo is lifted
    I don't think the S6 has one since everyone is showing / talking about it.
    03-19-2015 03:05 PM

na, GSMarena's rating is the only one so far make sense, the french review showing 75% better score is for CPU power efficiency, rather than common task battery rundown, which usually include web, video, talk, and don't stress cpu that much. The OP's battery chart doesn't even include s5, so no comparison is made here at all.

I think more realistic hope right now, is not GSMarena being wrong, rather, is somehow sammy can work hard and push out a 0-day patch to improve battery performance to be closer to s5 than it is now. I think its doable.
    03-19-2015 03:17 PM
    I don't think the S6 has one since everyone is showing / talking about it.
    Samsung does have an embargo. It's set to lift early April.
    It's just that all the reviews out so far are praising it to high heaven, so why in the world would you want them taken down?
    Alex_NJ likes this.
    03-19-2015 03:19 PM
    It's just that all the reviews out so far are praising it to high heaven, so why in the world would you want them taken down?
    How do you know this? And the reviews haven't been completely glowing, the one showing worse battery life isn't saying it is the greatest. Samsung could have killed that review or come out with a defense.
    03-19-2015 03:22 PM
    I am not finding anywhere about an embargo. I could be wrong .. but searching around I am not finding anything about it.
    03-19-2015 03:24 PM
57 123