Frandroid Galaxy S6 Review - Let's talk about battery life

John Kar

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Test du Samsung Galaxy S6

So like all the reviews of the S6 out there, the author mentions best display, best camera, insane UI speed (Possibly the smoothest phone out there), toned-down TW, impressive build quality, and other repeated-to-death pros about the S6.

Yeah, we know all that. What we really care about right now is the battery life.

Here are the battery life test results:

Untitled.png

I find it odd that this is the 2nd French site that said the S6 had better battery life than the S5 while 2 other non-French sites said the S6 had slightly worse battery life.

What do you think? Could Frandroid and geekandcom be using a different firmware?

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm, Im kind of skeptical that it says the S6 battery lasts longer than the Z3, which actually does last pretty long. A real life test will have to confirm that

Either way, I have no doubts about this phone...almost all the reviews have given it a great score overall....I think this will be the best phone of 2015

John Kar

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Hmmm, Im kind of skeptical that it says the S6 battery lasts longer than the Z3, which actually does last pretty long. A real life test will have to confirm that

Either way, I have no doubts about this phone...almost all the reviews have given it a great score overall....I think this will be the best phone of 2015

Yeah, this is really weird. Battery life figures for this phone are all over the place depending on reviewer.

Half is saying it's slightly worse than the S5 while the other half is saying it's significantly better.

In any case, there was an OTA update for the S6 today. Around 350 MB in size. Let's hope there are some battery-life optimizations in that update.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, this is really weird. Battery life figures for this phone are all over the place depending on reviewer.

Half is saying it's slightly worse than the S5 while the other half is saying it's significantly better.

In any case, there was an OTA update for the S6 today. Around 350 MB in size. Let's hope there are some battery-life optimizations in that update.

An OTA for the GS5 you mean?

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

So like all the reviews of the S6 out there, the author mentions best display, best camera, insane UI speed (Possibly the smoothest phone out there), toned-down TW, impressive build quality, and other repeated-to-death pros about the S6.

Yeah, we know all that. What we really care about right now is the battery life.

View attachment 167396

I find it odd that this is the 2nd French site that said the S6 had better battery life than the S5 while 2 other non-French sites said the S6 had slightly worse battery life.

What do you think? Could Frandroid and geekandcom be using a different firmware?

?? the battery test seems to be done in comparison with Z3, nexus 6, iphone 6, I don't see s5 in this chart. Are my eyes dying?????

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I've noticed a lot of reviews are using heavy usage as a benchmark, such as playing videos or games.

I hope it performs just as well using things like whatsapp, emails, phone calls and web browsing. These are the things I use my phone for

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed a lot of reviews are using heavy usage as a benchmark, such as playing videos or games.

I hope it performs just as well using things like whatsapp, emails, phone calls and web browsing. These are the things I use my phone for

Kind of my pint. Different test conditions and different testers. It depends upon what typical a use actually is. Typical use varies from person to person. If I want to do gaming, xBox One, or the occasional app. More often than not, emails, texts, social media, schedules and web browsing. I am also more cognizant of keeping my phone charged depending on need. If I know that I am going to be away from a charger, I make it's fully charged and would result to powering saving mode though that has never happened.

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site

View attachment 167396

I'm sorry but there's no way it last longer than the z3.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, it's all over the place so far. But I guess it's not too surprising because none of them has reviewed final carrier version yet. They took pre-production international version activated on each local carrier for testing. This factor alone could account for difference in stand by, talk time. Also they all use it differently with camera, benchmarks, games, videos that impacts screen time significantly. I think they will start getting final carrier version couple of weeks before release, so that's when it's giving us better pictures.

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site

Yeah if this bests the Z3 battery life that will be spectacular....skeptical though...

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Yeah if this bests the Z3 battery life that will be spectacular....skeptical though...

I wouldn't bet on it either. But I think it's not impossible to match Z3 depending on how well OS, radio firmware is optimized. S6 has 21% less battery size than Z3 but has 20~30% better hardware component in several places.

The worst report so far (GSMarena) puts it at about 10% below S5 before Lollipop. Best ones go up to 75% better. I think we can expect S5 level at the minimum with production versions.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't bet on it either. But I think it's not impossible to match Z3 depending on how well OS, radio firmware is optimized. S6 has 21% less battery size than Z3 but has 20~30% better hardware component in several places.

The worst report so far (GSMarena) puts it at about 10% below S5 before Lollipop. Best ones go up to 75% better. I think we can expect S5 level at the minimum with production versions.

Starting with a smaller battery than the GS5, as long as it meets or slightly exceeds the GS5 is great.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

Maxi Payne

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
U forgot to mention those result are obtained with full brightness
Wifi test : web page that refrech every minute with notification off
Video test : HD video

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I will wait for real life usage to see battery. Battery tests can give a general idea but .. nothing beats real world :).

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
There's a very good chance this phone ends up with just average-slightly above average battery life for most people, but on the plus side, there are now at least 2 sites that claim it has outstanding battery life. Whoever uses their devices similarly to the way these couple sites test their devices are going to be very happy!

If it wasn't for the GSM Arena rating, the general consensus on the device right now would be that battery life is very good. Let's all hope GSM Arena's rating was wrong!

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
There's a very good chance this phone ends up with just average-slightly above average battery life for most people, but on the plus side, there are now at least 2 sites that claim it has outstanding battery life. Whoever uses their devices similarly to the way these couple sites test their devices are going to be very happy!

If it wasn't for the GSM Arena rating, the general consensus on the device right now would be that battery life is very good. Let's all hope GSM Arena's rating was wrong!

Yep, and sadly, this should be end of discussion until the embargo is lifted

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463