03-22-2015 10:00 PM
113 1234 ...
tools
    So it looks like if you want to go caseless you might want to get insurance. Cracking the camera lens after a week or two of usage and just by tipping over is not reassuring.
    03-20-2015 01:33 PM
    He cracked the camera glass. Oh dear......

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-20-2015 02:16 PM
    He cracked the camera glass. Oh dear......

Well no wonder he's putting the phone on cement, ledges, concrete statues. Surprised the entire device didn't shatter.
    03-20-2015 03:03 PM
    Just another note on the battery life. Most (or all) of these reviews over here in the US/Canada aren't using carrier branded devices. I'd guess that if Josh was using an AT&T S6 that was optimized for their network, the battery could definitely be improved. It's also probably not final software. I'd expect the battery life to be better than the S5, but by how much I'm still not sure.

Jdroids likes this.
    03-20-2015 03:05 PM
    Well no wonder he's putting the phone on cement, ledges, concrete statues. Surprised the entire device didn't shatter.
    I've dropped my GS3 on cement, rocks, tile floors, wood floors, snow, and a ton of other materials (I work construction). It has the thinnest case made...no problems.
    03-20-2015 03:08 PM
    Can we expect more reviews over the weekend?
    03-20-2015 03:55 PM
    "Finally when it comes to the battery, the Galaxy S6 packs a relatively small 2,550 mAh battery, and, on top of the fact that the battery is now not replaceable, it’s quite easy to dismiss the battery life as subpar. What I haven’t mentioned in the performance section is the processor being fabricated with a 14 nm process. Moving down to 14 nm basically means that data is transmitted across a smaller distance, which should lead to better power consumption. With this said, I found that battery life remains in line with the Galaxy S5, rather than get better than before.

As such, the Galaxy S6 battery performs just about how you would expect. A bit over a full day of work for the typical user, with the power user probably having to rely on the power saving modes and the occasional connection to a fast charger. To say that it’s a bummer the Galaxy S6 isn’t an overachiever in the battery life department is unfortunate, but the fact that it is an average performer at best is something we, quite frankly, expected.

Wireless charging is also available with the Galaxy S6 now, and the best part being is that the S6 is compatible with the two major wireless charging standards currently available."

I'm sold! Man the wait for this phone is killing me!
    It's about time that some of you are starting to come around to getting past the battery and expandable storage so that we can get to discussing all things we are getting not having them. The reviewer even repeated points that I have previously posted before, namely not missing the sad card and not having swapped out a battery.
    03-20-2015 04:38 PM
    seems consensus is forming.

S5 may have set too high a standard, lol
    The point is that when you consider the more energy efficient QHD display and possibly 30% more efficient 14 Nom chipset as well as all the other goodies packed into such a thing frame, the smaller battery is cranking out enough juice and is performing at a level comparable, by some opinions, or slightly better by others, than it's larger brother powering last years device.
    03-20-2015 04:45 PM
    It's about time that some of you are starting to come around to getting past the battery and expandable storage so that we can get to discussing all things we are getting not having them. The reviewer even repeated points that I have previously posted before, namely not missing the sad card and not having swapped out a battery.
    Wait!
    The S6 doesn't have Expandable Storage and a Swappable Battery?!!
    03-20-2015 05:00 PM
    Wait!
    The S6 doesn't have Expandable Storage and a Swappable Battery?!!
    I know. Amazing, isn't it? Even AA while lamenting their exclusion wasn't really that whacked out about it. It has been never that I have seems a battery getting swapped. It's been so long since I stored anything on my sd card that I don't even miss it. With 64GB model and less of a TouchWiz footprint, there should more than enough useable storage for the vast majority do users. We need to get away from being digital packrats and travel only with what we absolutely need storing the rest. We need to realize that having a smaller battery cranking out enough juice to power a higher performing and feature packed device than it's bigger brother powering last years device at a comparable is not a bad thing. Moreover, we have rapid charging and wireless charging built right in. Good bye swap pale battery and sd card.
    03-20-2015 05:10 PM
    A consensus definitely seems to be forming on the battery life, we're looking at 6-8 hours of SoT apparently. Max. I'm assuming less if you start stressing the big cores.
    03-20-2015 05:14 PM
    A consensus definitely seems to be forming on the battery life, we're looking at 6-8 hours of SoT apparently. Max. I'm assuming less if you start stressing the big cores.
    When you think battery life as we get more reviews, context is important. Smaller battery powering better device at a level comparable to bigger brother in last years device which had a lower resolution screen and was slower. Battery life should more than sufficient for most users.
    03-20-2015 05:18 PM
    I think 6-8 would be indeed max number, the way everybody has been using s5, id say most people should expect 3-5 hr sot with s6, 100-20% from bed to bed.
    03-20-2015 05:45 PM
    When you think battery life as we get more reviews, context is important. Smaller battery powering better device at a level comparable to bigger brother in last years device which had a lower resolution screen and was slower. Battery life should more than sufficient for most users.
    The most important figure for most people is going to be screen-on-time. That's the time people spend actually using their device for "stuff." And given that the screen is usually one of the largest battery drains on a device, it's also fairly consistent from device to device, from workload to workload. "Light" and "Heavy" might differ a lot, but screen on time is consistent...light users have the screen on less less in a 24 hour period, heavy users have it on more in a 24 hour period, but it's all about the time you have the device on for "active" use. That's why most reviews try to at least give an approximate figure on that.

Frankly, 6-8 screen-on hours is well above average, which tends to be between 3 and 5.
    03-20-2015 07:34 PM
    Very good and honest review

03-20-2015 07:50 PM
    I've dropped my GS3 on cement, rocks, tile floors, wood floors, snow, and a ton of other materials (I work construction). It has the thinnest case made...no problems.
    Not everyone else is so lucky. I dropped my S3 from knee high and it shattered 1/2 the screen. It all depends how it drops, where it lands and how lucky you're.

03-20-2015 07:51 PM
    Not everyone else is so lucky. I dropped my S3 from knee high and it shattered 1/2 the screen. It all depends how it drops, where it lands and how lucky you're.

I just dropped my s3 for about the 15th time a few days ago...waist high landed face down on my garage floor which is concrete. Didn't do a thing to it.

This device has been awesome for the last 2 years....I can only hope to say the same for my new s6 when the time comes!
    03-20-2015 08:26 PM
    It all depends how it drops, where it lands

Exactly. Huge factor on how it drops and lands. Hitting face down vs hitting on an edge would many times yield different results.
    03-20-2015 08:32 PM

I agree that with the right angle from the right height it can be damaged, but man...I've probably dropped it a legit 50 times in the past 3 years all with a lousy little case and it's been fine. That has to count for something.

One thing is for sure, I'd rather pay $700 than carry it around in one of those beastly massive cases out there.
    03-20-2015 08:36 PM
    I agree that with the right angle from the right height it can be damaged, but man...I've probably dropped it a legit 50 times in the past 3 years all with a lousy little case and it's been fine. That has to count for something.

One thing is for sure, I'd rather pay $700 than carry it around in one of those beastly massive cases out there.
    Hey, watch it now. My phone resembles that remark. Luck has to count for something with the fact that your device was not damaged. My beastly massive case has helped from falls from high places and down a stairwell. When I go to sell it next month, it will look out of the box new.
    03-20-2015 10:48 PM
    i enjoy the touchwiz, and anyone gets the S6 edge
    03-21-2015 12:17 AM

Even a cheap lousy case is better than nothing...I'm referring to dropping the device with it naked. Any absorption the case will take makes a big difference. I've also dropped many sensitive phones, like the iPhone 5S, multiple times without a scratch.

What's actually funny is the only 2 phones I've had crack on me are both Samsung devices. The first was a Focus (WP) but the device cracking wasn't the phones fault, it dropped by the hands of an ***** drunk at a party and he managed to step on it stumbling to pick it up. Ya, never again would I be so kind. And the second was the S3, sitting down on a camping chair having a CIG....I was shocked how big the crack was but it did hit directly on the edge. Go figure I had a ottor box inside but hated it due to how bulky it made the phone look...needless to say that case went right on to hold the glass in place until I found someone to buy it.

03-21-2015 05:43 AM
    falls from high places and down a stairwell.
    LOL...stairwell, well you got me there! All I can say is that as many times as I've dropped it along with the abuse it takes on a construction site it's held up fine with that thin case...probably jinxed myself tho, gotta be careful with it until the GS6 comes out.
    03-21-2015 06:57 AM
    I've dropped my S5 on the top right hand corner from table height onto a tiled floor and nothing happened to it. And it was out of it's case as well.

03-21-2015 07:11 AM
    I've dropped my S5 on the top right hand corner from table height onto a tiled floor and nothing happened to it. And it was out of it's case as well.

It might be fine but my GS4 looks out if the box new. After dings on multiple devices, no going commando for my devices.
    03-21-2015 09:07 AM
113 1234 ...