03-22-2015 10:00 PM
113 12345
tools
    It might be fine but my GS4 looks out if the box new. After dings on multiple devices, no going commando for my devices.
    You keep your phones in pristine condition for the next person, I care less about the next person and pretty much thrash them and chuck 'em when I'm done.
    03-21-2015 09:11 AM
    You keep your phones in pristine condition for the next person, I care less about the next person and pretty much thrash them and chuck 'em when I'm done.
    In order to defray the cost of the next device, resale value is affected by the dings and cracks. Also....
    03-21-2015 09:30 AM
    Posted via the Android Central App
    03-21-2015 09:45 AM
    Lol, that's not "your hands" on. it means next to nothing for anybody not named android authority writer.

Thanks, but no thanks, I will take test reviews from gsmarena, ars and anandtech over these vague feelings any day of the week.
    Why would you rely on GSM Arena? They are usually completely inaccurate when it comes to battery life on devices because they don't go by real-world use.

Premium1 likes this.
    03-21-2015 09:46 AM
    Why would you rely on GSM Arena? They are usually completely inaccurate when it comes to battery life on devices because they don't go by real-world use.

Actually, I find just the opposite with them.

Posted via Android Central App
    03-21-2015 09:57 AM

First, everyone's "real world use" means next to nothing to others, because one person's "real world" may be 100% web, well another's maybe 3 days of standby with occasional call. I charge my phone every 2-3 days, use it for email primarily, i handle battery carefully and my battery drop 0-1% over 8 hr standby, tell me which "real-world use review" help me? If there isn't a clear definition of "real-world use", how exactly will any assessment be made?

These AC, AA verge, etc, reviews, basically saying absolutely nothing.

By relying on battery rundown test, GSMarena's results are great because:

1) it gives objective comparison between smartphones. If it says smartphone 1 is 50% better than smartphone 2, it is just that. Especially If I have smartphone 2 already, I would know exactly what I will get, with my own usage.

2) it offers individual personalized rating because on your own usage. You use 2 hr web a day instead 1? you do 5 hr video instead of 2? sure, adjust the slider for yourself.

3) it's test results matches my own battery calibration tests.
    berdinkerdickle likes this.
    03-21-2015 10:08 AM
    First, everyone's "real world use" means next to nothing to others, because one person's "real world" may be 100% web, well another's maybe 3 days of standby with occasional call. I charge my phone every 2-3 days, use it for email primarily, i handle battery carefully and my battery drop 0-1% over 8 hr standby, tell me which "real-world use review" help me? If there isn't a clear definition of "real-world use", how exactly will any assessment be made?

These AC, AA verge, etc, reviews, basically saying absolutely nothing.

By relying on battery rundown test, GSMarena's results are great because:

1) it gives objective comparison between smartphones. If it says smartphone 1 is 50% better than smartphone 2, it is just that. Especially If I have smartphone 2 already, I would know exactly what I will get, with my own usage.

2) it offers individual personalized rating because on your own usage. You use 2 hr web a day instead 1? you do 5 hr video instead of 2? sure, adjust the slider for yourself.

3) it's test results matches my own battery calibration tests.
    Good points all. Every thorough review no matter who does it occurs under different conditions and setting which are sometimes influenced by what they think their fans want to see or hear. Not saying that's the case here. Battery tests also occur under different firmware version and different device settings. Seems like sites like this one could influence minimum standards so that review comparisons can be more uniform.
    clevin likes this.
    03-21-2015 10:38 AM
    I agree, the posts here at AC are going to give a larger base of usage patterns.
    Every time I've bought off of AC user results - be it reception, stability, screen quality, picture guality, battery life, whatever, - I haven't regretted my purchase. You get the fanboys, complainers, and objective owners all in one place.
    03-21-2015 10:48 AM
    Nice looking device. I'd prefer the camera was less a protruberance and the backside less a finger print magnet and more matte, but oh well, just me.
    Didn't hear any comment on RF unless I missed it. Samsung is typically poor in this regard. Wondering if they figured out how to make it better.
    03-21-2015 11:37 AM
    The complaints about RF was mostly with the S3.
    The majority say Note2 - 4 have great reception.
    The same is said about in the S5 here in these forums.
    03-21-2015 12:33 PM
    Good to know. If Samsung has gotten their RF act better together I might consider this device. Looking forward to some time with the real world users and their reviews.
    03-21-2015 02:06 PM
    Lol, that's not "your hands" on. it means next to nothing for anybody not named android authority writer.

Thanks, but no thanks, I will take test reviews from gsmarena, ars and anandtech over these vague feelings any day of the week.
    yeah because running a video on screen and seeing how long it lasts is just such a true show of battery life..... Yeah um no. benchmarks for battery mean very little, just like benchmarks for performance.
    03-21-2015 02:21 PM
    yeah because running a video on screen and seeing how long it lasts is just such a true show of battery life..... Yeah um no. benchmarks for battery mean very little, just like benchmarks for performance.
    Every thing is relative and subjective in the eye of the beholder. Some reviewers have more overall and product specific experience that lends to more credible and informative reviews. Those are just the starting point. You need to get your hands dirty and consider them but ultimately need to make up your own mind on purchase or pass.
    03-21-2015 02:30 PM
    While I understand and agree with Android Central's philosophy on benchmarks I also like what Alex said in the latest podcast.
    Benchmarks can be important in order to backup your thoughts on a subject.

While benchmarks might not be important to you, they can be extremely important in finding out the answer to questions that you may have. They don't always tell the whole story, they might not always be fully useful. But they can answer questions about the phone that without them we would still have no idea if it is good or bad.

Posted via Android Central App
    03-21-2015 02:39 PM
    I can attest to the reception on my S5. It's easily one of the best reception phones I had and every bit as good as Motorola Razr HD I had before. And WiFi seems much better than Razr HD. I saw my friend's note 2 doing very well on reception too.

As for the battery reviews, the source I trust most is Anandtech. They show every detail on how they performed tests like firmware, carrier version, screen brightness, WiFi vs LTE connection, etc. They show easy to understand graphs on battery running time in hous for browsing, video under WiFi, LTE, HSPA connections. GSMarena is probably next best but they don't go into such details on testing methods and I don't think they do it as throughly as anandtech. Other reviewers mostly do only real world testing like normal users as they don't have resource, time and expertise like anandtech. But I understand that and I take both anandtech and real world results to judge battery life of phone I don't have yet.
    03-21-2015 03:40 PM
    This may be a silly question but will the S6 have the same capability to transfer files between Galaxy devices by touching the backs together like previous models had?
    03-21-2015 05:02 PM
    This may be a silly question but will the S6 have the same capability to transfer files between Galaxy devices by touching the backs together like previous models had?
    Why wouldn't it?
    03-21-2015 05:32 PM
    Why wouldn't it?
    Dont know..Didnt see that in any of the reviews so just checking.
    03-21-2015 05:41 PM
    Check some of the videos in the Hands on thread in this sub-forum that I started. It will help you get up to speed.
    03-21-2015 06:20 PM
    It's part of NFC.
    03-21-2015 06:55 PM
    It's part of NFC.
    The GS6 also uses NFC and MST for mobile payment activated and authenticated by the fingerprint scanner.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device
    03-21-2015 07:04 PM
    Man, the battery performance isn't that great. I'll wait until the S6 Active comes out before I make a final decision as to whether or not I should purchase the S6.
    03-21-2015 08:07 PM
    Man, the battery performance isn't that great. I'll wait until the S6 Active comes out before I make a final decision as to whether or not I should purchase the S6.
    Consider battery life with a grain of salt. Each reviewer has a different device setup and testing methodolgy as well as varying experience and knowledge. The GS6 has a smaller battery yet is powering a improved display and chipset that are more energy efficient . It has slimmed down TouchWiz and less Samsung bloat. UFS 2.0 for faster data storage. There are a host other performance and functional improvements. It is achieving comparable results as good as it's big brother powering the GS5 with less energy efficiency display and processor which is slower and much heavier TouchWiz footprint as well as a lot of bloat. The UI in the GS6 is more streamlined and unfied than in prior versions. If you want to wait, that's great. I did that with the GS5 and passed upon it. The GS6 is not an incremental update like the GS5 but a reboot that deserves more attention. I don't think you'll end up passing on the GS6. In the end, hear us but do your own testing and make up your own mind. Good luck.
    03-21-2015 08:31 PM
    I don't think you'll end up passing on the GS6. In the end, hear us...........
    Who's is "us"? You sound like you're from some kind of cult, trying to brainwash people with a deluge of opinions masquerading as facts.

I didn't realize Fanboyism had become such a scary prospect.
    03-22-2015 12:28 AM
    Who's is "us"? You sound like you're from some kind of cult, trying to brainwash people with a deluge of opinions masquerading as facts.

I didn't realize Fanboyism had become such a scary prospect.
    LOL...exactly. These samsung fanboys are hysterical. They are over on the M9 forum too. Every great thing that has been said about the S6 is gospel....but take the bad things with a grain of salt. Too funny. That being said, this is the first time I'm actually considering a Samsung phone (S6 edge). Between that and the M9.
    03-22-2015 12:37 AM
113 12345