Android Authority Review: Samsung S6

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I've dropped my GS3 on cement, rocks, tile floors, wood floors, snow, and a ton of other materials (I work construction). It has the thinnest case made...no problems.

Not everyone else is so lucky. I dropped my S3 from knee high and it shattered 1/2 the screen. It all depends how it drops, where it lands and how lucky you're.

Posted via the Android Central App

FuzzyB

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Not everyone else is so lucky. I dropped my S3 from knee high and it shattered 1/2 the screen. It all depends how it drops, where it lands and how lucky you're.

I just dropped my s3 for about the 15th time a few days ago...waist high landed face down on my garage floor which is concrete. Didn't do a thing to it.

This device has been awesome for the last 2 years....I can only hope to say the same for my new s6 when the time comes!

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

I agree that with the right angle from the right height it can be damaged, but man...I've probably dropped it a legit 50 times in the past 3 years all with a lousy little case and it's been fine. That has to count for something.

One thing is for sure, I'd rather pay $700 than carry it around in one of those beastly massive cases out there.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I agree that with the right angle from the right height it can be damaged, but man...I've probably dropped it a legit 50 times in the past 3 years all with a lousy little case and it's been fine. That has to count for something.

One thing is for sure, I'd rather pay $700 than carry it around in one of those beastly massive cases out there.

Hey, watch it now. My phone resembles that remark. Luck has to count for something with the fact that your device was not damaged. My beastly massive case has helped from falls from high places and down a stairwell. When I go to sell it next month, it will look out of the box new.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site

Even a cheap lousy case is better than nothing...I'm referring to dropping the device with it naked. Any absorption the case will take makes a big difference. I've also dropped many sensitive phones, like the iPhone 5S, multiple times without a scratch.

What's actually funny is the only 2 phones I've had crack on me are both Samsung devices. The first was a Focus (WP) but the device cracking wasn't the phones fault, it dropped by the hands of an ***** drunk at a party and he managed to step on it stumbling to pick it up. Ya, never again would I be so kind. And the second was the S3, sitting down on a camping chair having a CIG....I was shocked how big the crack was but it did hit directly on the edge. Go figure I had a ottor box inside but hated it due to how bulky it made the phone look...needless to say that case went right on to hold the glass in place until I found someone to buy it.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
falls from high places and down a stairwell.

LOL...stairwell, well you got me there! All I can say is that as many times as I've dropped it along with the abuse it takes on a construction site it's held up fine with that thin case...probably jinxed myself tho, gotta be careful with it until the GS6 comes out.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I've dropped my S5 on the top right hand corner from table height onto a tiled floor and nothing happened to it. And it was out of it's case as well.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I've dropped my S5 on the top right hand corner from table height onto a tiled floor and nothing happened to it. And it was out of it's case as well.

It might be fine but my GS4 looks out if the box new. After dings on multiple devices, no going commando for my devices.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
It might be fine but my GS4 looks out if the box new. After dings on multiple devices, no going commando for my devices.

You keep your phones in pristine condition for the next person, I care less about the next person and pretty much thrash them and chuck 'em when I'm done.

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Lol, that's not "your hands" on. it means next to nothing for anybody not named android authority writer.

Thanks, but no thanks, I will take test reviews from gsmarena, ars and anandtech over these vague feelings any day of the week.

Why would you rely on GSM Arena? They are usually completely inaccurate when it comes to battery life on devices because they don't go by real-world use.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Why would you rely on GSM Arena? They are usually completely inaccurate when it comes to battery life on devices because they don't go by real-world use.

Actually, I find just the opposite with them.

Posted via Android Central App

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

First, everyone's "real world use" means next to nothing to others, because one person's "real world" may be 100% web, well another's maybe 3 days of standby with occasional call. I charge my phone every 2-3 days, use it for email primarily, i handle battery carefully and my battery drop 0-1% over 8 hr standby, tell me which "real-world use review" help me? If there isn't a clear definition of "real-world use", how exactly will any assessment be made?

These AC, AA verge, etc, reviews, basically saying absolutely nothing.

By relying on battery rundown test, GSMarena's results are great because:

1) it gives objective comparison between smartphones. If it says smartphone 1 is 50% better than smartphone 2, it is just that. Especially If I have smartphone 2 already, I would know exactly what I will get, with my own usage.

2) it offers individual personalized rating because on your own usage. You use 2 hr web a day instead 1? you do 5 hr video instead of 2? sure, adjust the slider for yourself.

3) it's test results matches my own battery calibration tests.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
First, everyone's "real world use" means next to nothing to others, because one person's "real world" may be 100% web, well another's maybe 3 days of standby with occasional call. I charge my phone every 2-3 days, use it for email primarily, i handle battery carefully and my battery drop 0-1% over 8 hr standby, tell me which "real-world use review" help me? If there isn't a clear definition of "real-world use", how exactly will any assessment be made?

These AC, AA verge, etc, reviews, basically saying absolutely nothing.

By relying on battery rundown test, GSMarena's results are great because:

1) it gives objective comparison between smartphones. If it says smartphone 1 is 50% better than smartphone 2, it is just that. Especially If I have smartphone 2 already, I would know exactly what I will get, with my own usage.

2) it offers individual personalized rating because on your own usage. You use 2 hr web a day instead 1? you do 5 hr video instead of 2? sure, adjust the slider for yourself.

3) it's test results matches my own battery calibration tests.

Good points all. Every thorough review no matter who does it occurs under different conditions and setting which are sometimes influenced by what they think their fans want to see or hear. Not saying that's the case here. Battery tests also occur under different firmware version and different device settings. Seems like sites like this one could influence minimum standards so that review comparisons can be more uniform.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
I agree, the posts here at AC are going to give a larger base of usage patterns.
Every time I've bought off of AC user results - be it reception, stability, screen quality, picture guality, battery life, whatever, - I haven't regretted my purchase. You get the fanboys, complainers, and objective owners all in one place.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Nice looking device. I'd prefer the camera was less a protruberance and the backside less a finger print magnet and more matte, but oh well, just me.
Didn't hear any comment on RF unless I missed it. Samsung is typically poor in this regard. Wondering if they figured out how to make it better.

Last edited:

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
The complaints about RF was mostly with the S3.
The majority say Note2 - 4 have great reception.
The same is said about in the S5 here in these forums.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2