Android Authority Review: Samsung S6

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
We've all been excited by some tech before and I remember, in my youth, championing a product or two.

♻from the n.4 Prime✒??????

Other than possibly battery life, what has been hyped? Are we possibly expecting too much from a slimmer UI and less bloat and more efficient QHD display and new chipset? It should perform better all with a battery smaller than its predecessor. It has a number of built in features and a new LTE radio. Are we underestimating the overall device that it can overcome excluded features despite new features, better performance, and premium build materials?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Other than possibly battery life, what has been hyped? Are we possibly expecting too much from a slimmer UI and less bloat and more efficient QHD display and new chipset? It should perform better all with a battery smaller than its predecessor. It has a number of built in features and a new LTE radio. Are we underestimating the overall device that it can overcome excluded features despite new features, better performance, and premium build materials?
Tech evolves. With the S6, Samsung's S line has evolved. To me, this product is not revolutionary but simply evolutionary. I'm not crediting you with hyping the device. Championing it? Yes. Hyping it? No. Is it better in some ways than its predecessor though? Yes. Yes indeed.

EDIT: Grammar

Last edited:

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Tech evolves. With the S6, Samsung's S line has evolved. To me, this product is not revolutionary but simply evolutionary. I'm not crediting you with hyping the device. Championing it? Yes. Hyping it. No. Is it better in some ways than its predecessor though? Yes. Yes indeed.

♻from the n.4 Prime✒������

Thanks. I have simply tried to keep an open mind and form a decision based upon facts or findings in reviews and going into the store to test for myself which I hope to do soon. My point all along has been to give this thing a chance and see if the improvements and new features value outweighs the exclusion of the numerous features that we have been hearing about for weeks. Is the GS6 revolutionary? No, it will take a lot more than what presently exists now and in the very near future. I am also glad that Samsung has taken a step toward the future though I would preferred a leap.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Consider battery life with a grain of salt. Each reviewer has a different device setup and testing methodolgy as well as varying experience and knowledge. The GS6 has a smaller battery yet is powering a improved display and chipset that are more energy efficient . It has slimmed down TouchWiz and less Samsung bloat. UFS 2.0 for faster data storage. There are a host other performance and functional improvements. It is achieving comparable results as good as it's big brother powering the GS5 with less energy efficiency display and processor which is slower and much heavier TouchWiz footprint as well as a lot of bloat. The UI in the GS6 is more streamlined and unfied than in prior versions. If you want to wait, that's great. I did that with the GS5 and passed upon it. The GS6 is not an incremental update like the GS5 but a reboot that deserves more attention. I don't think you'll end up passing on the GS6. In the end, hear us but do your own testing and make up your own mind. Good luck.

I work in the field in the middle of nowhere for 10 hours a day. I cannot afford to have a phone die on me after six hours because I have nowhere to charge the phone. A 2550 mAh battery is way too small. I don't care how efficient the device is.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I work in the field in the middle of nowhere for 10 hours a day. I cannot afford to have a phone die on me after six hours because I have nowhere to charge the phone. A 2550 mAh battery is way too small. I don't care how efficient the device is.

9000 mAh power bank?

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Cool. You already know the specs of the new Nexus device, the LG G4, and the Note 5? Do share with us.

Jury is still out for M9 battery life. Strangely M9 review is much fewer than S6 despite being closer to launching. But I don't expect it to match M8 based on early reviews so far. G4 is even more concerning due to 5.6" QHD LCD screen. If battery life is your no. 1 priority you better go with Note 4 now or Note 5 later if you can hold out till Fall.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Cool. You already know the specs of the new Nexus device, the LG G4, and the Note 5? Do share with us.

Present company for the most part excluded, it's ironic that we may not have seen a review with more current firmware and people are jumping before we have seen them. As US preorders with Best Buy, possibly other major US carriers on March 27th, it would stay to reason that more reviews and updated reviews are coming out that might help the battery folks. Battery life is important but based on what we have seen to date, there is little to make pass on the GS6 after passing on the GS5 and its competition.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Whoa back the sarcasm train up. It's his opinion in response to yours. That's called a conversation.

You can't claim one phone is going to be the best of the year when there's still 8 1/2 months to go in the year and the biggest flagships haven't even been announced yet.

There's opinion, and then there's logic.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
You can't claim one phone is going to be the best of the year when there's still 8 1/2 months to go in the year and the biggest flagships haven't even been announced yet.

There's opinion, and then there's logic.

Logic and opinion are not mutually exclusive. You state your opinion and back it up in a civil manner and he does the same. That's how differing opinions can logically exist in the open exchange of ideas and thoughts.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Logic and opinion are not mutually exclusive. You state your opinion and back it up in a civil manner and he does the same. That's how differing opinions can logically exist in the open exchange of ideas and thoughts.

I'm not sure fanboys fanatics can see logic.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site

If you're okay with a bigger phone, get the Note 4. If you're on Verizon, get the Droid Turbo. If battery life is truly THE most important factor in your phone, then get a phone that will definitely have outstanding battery life. Battery life is one of the biggest factors for me as well and I am considering the Turbo even though tech wise it is inferior in pretty much every way. Still a very nice phone though with wireless charging, quick charging, and some nice Moto apps. The camera is also a very important factor for me as well and given that, it will probably result in me getting the S6. The camera on the Turbo isn't anything special and I'm getting tired of crappy cameras on my phone that can't take a decent picture indoors.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
If you're on Verizon, get the Droid Turbo.

I had the Turbo on Verizon but I hated that camera. I opted for the Nexus 6 on AT&T. I concede my argument. The S6 is a great phone for the average consumer and I hope you guys enjoy it. I'll personally be looking out for a phone with a bigger battery. The S6 Active announcement caught my eye because of its rumored massive 3500 mAh battery and its durability.

I keep forgetting that we all have our likes and instead of tearing each apart other over the differences, we should all be celebrating that we're on Android and not Apple.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I had the Turbo on Verizon but I hated that camera. I opted for the Nexus 6 on AT&T. I concede my argument. The S6 is a great phone for the average consumer and I hope you guys enjoy it. I'll personally be looking out for a phone with a bigger battery. The S6 Active announcement caught my eye because of its rumored massive 3500 mAh battery and its durability.

I keep forgetting that we all have our likes and instead of tearing each apart other over the differences, we should all be celebrating that we're on Android and not Apple.

Looks like you'll be getting the Lollipop 5.1 on your Nexus 6. In the spirit of the moment, I would differ slightly that the GS6 would only appeal to the average consumer. Case in point, until late last year, my dad never had a smartphone and insisted that he wanted the GS5. That's not exactly the first one to get. While it has brought us and his grandson closer together as he learns how to use a smartphone, I would counter that Apple would have been a better first phone and is one that appeals to the masses who want standardized ecosystem where every thing is done for you and you are told what you need. Not much for the patrician nature of Apple. The average consumer, we are not, does not have the interest in customization and the implications of new hardware, chipsets and UI and camera specs. That said, I think it will be a surprise to some when actual battery stats and performance reviews start filtering out post-release in the US.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463