The S6 will have the best battery life of all flagships this year, so stop complaining

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I actually think the opposite. The title should be changed from "will have" to "has", because you are comparing to phones that are already released or are being released in the next couple weeks. A year is a long time in the Android world. There will most definitely be flagships that pack in much bigger batteries and have better battery life. Look at last years Droid Turbo or the Z3 for example. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if battery life isn't one of the things that other flagships look to attack the most this year, because it is the easiest to beat. Samsung has a better screen, chip, etc than any other phone will probably be able to put in their device this year. A battery is a battery. Flagships coming later this year's main tagline will be "lasts XXX longer than the Galaxy S6 and the iPhone 6" because that's really the only area that they can compete with the S6 with this year.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion a 2 hour difference is pretty much the same life for most people .. I mean it technically got it but .. If it got 10 hours more or something then I would be "wowd" but .. 2 hours is meh.

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I actually think the opposite. The title should be changed from "will have" to "has", because you are comparing to phones that are already released or are being released in the next couple weeks. A year is a long time in the Android world. There will most definitely be flagships that pack in much bigger batteries and have better battery life. Look at last years Droid Turbo or the Z3 for example. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if battery life isn't one of the things that other flagships look to attack the most this year, because it is the easiest to beat. Samsung has a better screen, chip, etc than any other phone will probably be able to put in their device this year. A battery is a battery. Flagships coming later this year's main tagline will be "lasts XXX longer than the Galaxy S6 and the iPhone 6" because that's really the only area that they can compete with the S6 with this year.

I agree with this and I'd bet that the Z4 will have impressive battery life. I wish that device had been announced at MWC as well so I could be looking at 3 devices right now, but so be it and I choose not to wait, so the S6 it is.

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
If Z4 comes with S810 + QHD LCD combo, I'm not so sure about that.

I'm still pretty sure. Even if it isn't as efficient as a set up, the Z3 had a 3100 mAh battery and I could see them still going bigger this year. Samsung is one of the first to actually go with a smaller battery compared to a previous model.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm still pretty sure. Even if it isn't as efficient as a set up, the Z3 had a 3100 mAh battery and I could see them still going bigger this year. Samsung is one of the first to actually go with a smaller battery compared to a previous model.

G flex 2 has the same chipset, 1080p screen and 3000mAh battery, but still falls short of S6. Now throwing in QHD LCD to it, I think it will need at least 3500mAh to come out better on battery life.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
If actual results bear out even comparable battery performance or slightly better than the previous model and the competition, the GS6, based on what we have heard or read, is powering a bigger display and faster processor as well as new and improved features at a level comparable to its bigger brother in the GS5. These items would normally scream for a much larger battery. Samsung has through architectural hardware choices and firmware, etc made a statement on how to squeeze the most performance and functionality with a minimal battery footprint.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion a 2 hour difference is pretty much the same life for most people .. I mean it technically got it but .. If it got 10 hours more or something then I would be "wowd" but .. 2 hours is meh.

If your on a long trip and your phone is about to die....that 2 hours will make a difference lol

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If your on a long trip and your phone is about to die....that 2 hours will make a difference lol

It really won't since I would have a battery backup if going on a long trip. It only benefits if you are un-prepared but .. a road trip I would know and have some type of backup (even a car charger).

Also that 2 hours is so subjective to each persons usage... They got 62 hours? Give me the phone .. I can drop it in 3. Promise :).

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
It really won't since I would have a battery backup if going on a long trip. It only benefits if you are un-prepared but .. a road trip I would know and have some type of backup (even a car charger).

Also that 2 hours is so subjective to each persons usage... They got 62 hours? Give me the phone .. I can drop it in 3. Promise :).

Gsmarena endurance rating includes standby. Rating is calculated assuming 1 hr of Web, talk, video per day.

If you usage habit is different, they also have a tool to customize your own rating based on your own usage habit.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Gsmarena endurance rating includes standby. Rating is calculated assuming 1 hr of Web, talk, video per day.

If you usage habit is different, they also have a tool to customize your own rating based on your own usage habit.

Everyone's usage is different .. No one does the exact same amount of everything. So my response was that 2 hours they claim .. won't apply to all. As he was implying ;).

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
With the M9 review embargo lifted, we are seeing the true battery life results of this device.

Here are three results from GSMArena:

View attachment 167841
View attachment 167842
View attachment 167843

The only area where the S6 falls behind is the talk-time, but no one cares about that. Who still uses their phone to make calls? It's all texting these days.
Considering the G Flex 2 had a 3000 mAH battery and the M9 had a 2840 mAH battery, it is unlikely that other flagships using the 810 will beat the S5 in battery life.
Yes, the S6 battery is slightly worse than the S5, but it will still have the best battery life.

If the Sony Z4 comes out with this snap 810. It will challenge the S6. Even if it is Quad HD.

Posted via the Android Central App

mjcecil

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Saying the S6 has "the best battery life of all flagships" is just a way of saying "the least poor of all the poor performers." Smartphone battery life, across the board is frankly dismal compared to what is needed. Ever since the advent of the modern smartphone, we've been conditioned to think that a workday off the charger and a night ON the charger, EVERY DAY is acceptable, as is carrying around a wall-wart charger and gord with which you will tether yourself to a power outlet mid-travels. We have done a fine job of forgetting just a few years back when most folks had flip-phones that could go a couple of days before needing a recharge. (All of which, BTW, had replaceable batteries.)

Yes, I get it. The smartphones of today are very powerful, and very busy machines, and necessarily will draw power far in excess of the dedicated phones of just a few years ago. And, the technology of Lithium-ion batteries hasn't changed appreciably since that time, so large-capacity batteries are necessarily off the table for a thin, powerful device.

Which is why I argue for the replaceable battery. It's awful hard to view a phone as "wireless" if it has to be attached to a wire half of the time. And, a replaceable battery is an efficient and highly portable way to get decent phone power, regardless of outlet or cord availability, and you simply don't have to wait to get a usable charge when you swap a battery out. 30 seconds or a minute of downtime, and, bang! full charge. Not that it's any more convenient than a portable charger (from a practical process perspective) to remember to keep a spare charged and slip one in your pocket on the way out the door, but it's certainly not any LESS convenient, either, and a replaceable battery is often smaller and lighter than its portable-charger counterparts.

Hey, maybe ubiquitous Qi mats will supplant the need for higher charge capacities... Or maybe somebody will make a graphene breakthrough. Until then, I'll pine for my replaceable battery.

mjc