The S6 will have the best battery life of all flagships this year, so stop complaining

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Saying the S6 has "the best battery life of all flagships" is just a way of saying "the least poor of all the poor performers." Smartphone battery life, across the board is frankly dismal compared to what is needed.

mjc
I wholeheartedly agree that we are not in the place we ought to be. Battery technology has not improved for decades now. And this is the first time I am aware, that both HTC and Samsung produced flagships with regressive battery performance.

On the other hand, the ship of s6 is set sale already. It is surely a major loss for swappable battery supporters, which I do consider myself one of them. But if the market rewards Sammy handsomely for s6, then it is probably a sign that the mass of the buyers don't care as much as we do. Since this is a for profit business, it is what it is, we should then accept defeat. Fortunately, there are still many, good ones, for starters, s5, g3 and note 4 are all great products.

BuffOrange

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
^^ I dunno, it seems to me battery life is one of the few things we talk about that the masses do care as much about as us. I've never met anyone IRL who complained about their camera; only the internet does that, lol.

John Kar

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
I found this from one of the members at XDA:

All right, an S6 edge battery stat, admittedly on lighter use, some short gameplay and photography, much browing and checking the usual suspects (weather, transit, email etc.), GPS high accuracy on, mostly on WiFi while connected to 4G network. Some app installing and themeing, an hour of calling and some chat.

screenshot_2015-03-23pfucn.pngscreenshot_2015-03-23iau3i.png

Definitely an improvement, although if you add more gaming, more time under the sun and some music streaming, I'd say the SoT would be an hour or so worse. Please note that I'm on March 1 SW.

With final version using Qualcomm modem, results should be much better.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Keeping my fingers crossed. While battery life is an important consideration, it shouldn't be the sole reason to get a phone with not so good performance and functionality. I'd rather have great performance and functionality with comparable battery life to a previous device.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Battery life should be one of the very most important concerns.
All the cool features (bells & whistles) don't work when the battery is dead.

Agreed. There is absolutely no reason a company should purposely make their phone battery worse than the previous version. At least HTC can blame the processor. Samsung only has themselves to blame if it's worse.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

This proves my initial calculation based on GSMarena's test rating, namely, s6 has bad standby performance. I have made some calculation based on this graph. It seems, the battery dropped 7.1% in 6.5 hr standby overnight, which translate into 1.1%/hr in standby. This is VERY high.

Good news is it can be avoided, it should either 1) be fixed by sammy; or 2) be fixed by users by turning off sync and data when in standby mode. The target should be 0.2%/hr.

Untitled-1.jpg

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
This proves my initial calculation based on GSMarena's test rating, namely, s6 has bad standby performance. I have made some calculation based on this graph. It seems, the battery dropped 7.1% in 6.5 hr standby overnight, which translate into 1.1%/hr in standby. This is VERY high.

Good news is it can be avoided, it should either 1) be fixed by sammy; or 2) be fixed by users by turning off sync and data when in standby mode. The target should be 0.2%/hr.

View attachment 167928

Yeah but they had the high accuracy mode on, who the heck does that unless you're traveling? I think it's outstanding considering that one factor, talk about a battery draining mode...shessh.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Yeah but they had the high accuracy mode on, who the heck does that unless you're traveling? I think it's outstanding considering that one factor, talk about a battery draining mode...shessh.

if the location service consume that much power in standby overnight, when it is not needed. That's something need to be fixed or disabled.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site

That should only matter when you are using an app that requires location services. It's easy to see when that is happening because an icon shows up in the status bar too. I used high accuracy on my GPS, but maybe that's just because my GPS and current phone is so old that I need it to get a decent location and within a decent amount of time.

John Kar

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site

View attachment 167928

Yes, and that is because Samsung's modems are worse than Qualcomm's. A better modem can fix the bad standby time, which is why I'm confident battery life figures will improve with the Qualcomm modem.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Techno Buffalo, likewise, ok battery. Not so good camera. Buy recommendation only if a fan but not for overall design, performance and functionality.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Yes, and that is because Samsung's modems are worse than Qualcomm's. A better modem can fix the bad standby time, which is why I'm confident battery life figures will improve with the Qualcomm modem.

what Samsung modem is using so much power in standby?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800