The S6 will have the best battery life of all flagships this year, so stop complaining

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
He's probably talking about the M9 review.

While,you guys have talking battery life, I took time to watch the M9 reviews on Anandtech, The Verge, and Techno Buffalo to get a sense of the reviewer community on the battery and overall opinion of the M9 as it is one of the devices whose battery stats are part of this thread. Consensus seems to indicate that size doesn't matter as battery life is ok. It could be the chipset and firmware but I got the sense that the review versions were pretty close to final.

mjcecil

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
If it lasts a full day use for me, then that's all I'd want.

I think you're probably not alone in that thought. I'd wager most people only hope for a full day, knowing they will be on a charger at night. But I think that's shortsighted thinking.

We tend to not think of our smartphones as a necessity, and we really use them as convenience devices. Remember that they are serious emergency tools, too. They can summon help, call for transportation, or find your way when you are lost. And the times when you really NEED your phone are invariably the times when we will find ourselves at the lowest in our battery reserves.

So, I encourage the thought that this "one day" benchmark ought not to be for sporadic use, but for a full day of pretty much constant screen-on, GPS-active use, with a reasonable reserve at bedtime.

I don't consider plugging the phone in with 2% left at the end of the evening a comfortable full day's use. That's using the device out to the limit (if it were a motorcycle, you'd have used your tank and drained your reserve, too). I want to know that if I have to use the phone an unusual amount, to unusual hours, or in a later evening emergency, that it will work, and I won't have to worry about it conking out because the battery's only good for squeaking by to the end of the day.

uncledeewz

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I can't verify that statement myself but last year we saw something similar. Remember MKBHD reviewed the Korean version of the Note 4 and said it had terrible battery life. A couple of weeks later he got an American unit and his complaints were no longer valid. I'm not sure how much better the battery life will be with the correct modems but I've seen differences before. So far I've seen SoT's around the 4 hour mark and MAYBE they'll creep up to mid 4 hours or something, which would be decent comparing the specs and battery size. Anyways we'll just have to wait and see!

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I can't verify that statement myself but last year we saw something similar. Remember MKBHD reviewed the Korean version of the Note 4 and said it had terrible battery life. A couple of weeks later he got an American unit and his complaints were no longer valid. I'm not sure how much better the battery life will be with the correct modems but I've seen differences before. So far I've seen SoT's around the 4 hour mark and MAYBE they'll creep up to mid 4 hours or something, which would be decent comparing the specs and battery size. Anyways we'll just have to wait and see!

As more current reviews come out, hopefully the review units will have more current firmware which may lead to better results.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Probably their own Exynos modem 300 that they're planning on using for the Korean market.
It's their first LTE modem, so I don't expect them to beat Qualcomm.

mmmm... do you have a link for this?

I am just wondering because I understand in the past, sammy has been using Qualcomm components in US market, but this time around, they switched many things to exynos, including cpu and chipset. Its strange to think somehow LTE antenna is Qualcomm.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm confident the Sony Z4 will blow anything Samsung or HTC can do battery-wise away.

Regardless of SD810's, or the Samsung chip, QHD and so on, last years iterations didn't had that much difference in Mah batteries, but the Z3 just goes on, and on, so willing to take a punt that Sony can work their battery magic again in 2015.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm confident the Sony Z4 will blow anything Samsung or HTC can do battery-wise away.

Regardless of SD810's, or the Samsung chip, QHD and so on, last years iterations didn't had that much difference in Mah batteries, but the Z3 just goes on, and on, so willing to take a punt that Sony can work their battery magic again in 2015.

Z3 was good, but its really not magic, considering it has a 3100mAh battery for a 5.2' screen. And its even with s5 after proper lollipop update.

What sony did right, is a large battery with phenomenal standby performance, that is something sammy, LG and HTC should learn.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Z3 was good, but its really not magic, considering it has a 3100mAh battery for a 5.2' screen. And its even with s5 after proper lollipop update.

What sony did right, is a large battery with phenomenal standby performance, that is something sammy, LG and HTC should learn.

I agree it's not magic literally - that would mean David Copperfield ACTUALLY made the Statue of Liberty disappear...

I have the Lollipop update flashed to the Z3, and have also seen a slight improvement in battery (maybe 5-10%).

It's all horses for courses. I've used Sammy & HTC on and off (mostly off, due to the batteries), and know many others who have, and none have got even close to the Z3 for my day-to-day usage. If I hammer my phone, I'll unplug at 7 am, and still get to 11pm with 15-25% left. I've done the same with the S5, and it was dead by 6pm.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
mmmm... do you have a link for this?

I am just wondering because I understand in the past, sammy has been using Qualcomm components in US market, but this time around, they switched many things to exynos, including cpu and chipset. Its strange to think somehow LTE antenna is Qualcomm.

I think Exynos 7 chip doesn't include integrated modem yet like Snapdragon does. So it must be paired with separate modem chip.

Qualcomm offers separate modem chip (MDM series) along with fully integrated Snapdragon (MSM series). Apple is using their A series AP with qualcomm modems in iPhone too.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
HTC really dropped the ball this year. From the camera, to the battery life. Maybe next year they will finally get it right.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
That's a little harsh and I'm not a fan of HTC. They just did a GS5 type of incremental improvement.

S5 didn't have a worse camera and way worse battery though. I'm not bashing the design, I'm talking the total package.

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
That's a little harsh and I'm not a fan of HTC. They just did a GS5 type of incremental improvement.

Unfortunately HTC did worse. Even though s5's design change is incremental, it did improved upon s4 in all aspects, and battery is much much improved. M9, on the other hand, regressed in the screen and battery with nothing significantly better to show for.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
He's being kind, this debacle will put severe financial distress on the company.

They are already there. They lack the financial resource mojo of Samsung. The M9 failed to meet expectations and will sell a lot devices, maybe not as much as the M8. Samsung should take advantage to assimilate their manufacturing resources?

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
They are already there. They lack the financial resource mojo of Samsung. The M9 failed to meet expectations and will sell a lot devices, maybe not as much as the M8. Samsung should take advantage to assimilate their manufacturing resources?

Actually, they even lack the resources of LG these days. HTC may have trouble surviving this decision.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Actually, they even lack the resources of LG these days. HTC may have trouble surviving this decision.

That's why we take them now and gain their ability to push their manufacturing processes to the max and we gain help,with device design. Maybe? Maybe not?

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
The M7 was really nice looking, but I thought the M8 (and by extension the M9) looked like a bar of Irish Spring. I'm honestly baffled by the oohs and aahs over the design.