The S6 will have the best battery life of all flagships this year, so stop complaining

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
That's a little harsh and I'm not a fan of HTC. They just did a GS5 type of incremental improvement.
Based on early reviews, the M9 took a step backwards. Worse battery life, same camera issues, same screen, more obtrusive HTC bloatware. There is nothing in the Sense 7 "enhancements" that looks at all useful. Just more crap that needs to be turned off or disabled. Major disappointment. That's why I'm looking at Samsung for the first time ever. Never thought I'd see the day.

KJ78

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah but they had the high accuracy mode on, who the heck does that unless you're traveling? I think it's outstanding considering that one factor, talk about a battery draining mode...shessh.

I leave high accuracy on now that android took away the gps toggle switch.

Posted via Android Central App

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
The M7 was really nice looking, but I thought the M8 (and by extension the M9) looked like a bar of Irish Spring. I'm honestly baffled by the oohs and aahs over the design.

agreed. like everyone else I was pumped after the evleaks design, then really disappointed after the reveal. I could deal with the same basic design, and probably would've gotten it had they improved on the battery and camera. unfortunately they dropped the ball in every category, especially the home screen options which is a huge step back. they're completely out of touch with their consumers, and will undoubtedly suffer the consequences as a result. I can't imagine what they've been doing this whole time, it's not like they have a ton of other products to put their resources into.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
did android do that? At least my Note 3 with Lollipop still have it on TW's pull down list..

I guess what he meant is switch to turn on/off only GPS in older versions before KitKat. Since KitKat this switch became just on/off toggle for location service at high accuracy mode. When toggled off, it's completely off without GPS, data for location. Need to go into location setting to choose other mode like battery saving (data only), GPS only. I normally put it in battery saving mode and use high accuracy only when using maps. High accuracy mode hurts stand by time a bit.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I guess what he meant is switch to turn on/off only GPS in older versions before KitKat. Since KitKat this switch became just on/off toggle for location service at high accuracy mode. When toggled off, it's completely off without GPS, data for location. Need to go into location setting to choose other mode like battery saving (data only), GPS only. I normally put it in battery saving mode and use high accuracy only when using maps. High accuracy mode hurts stand by time a bit.

Does it really affect standby time? Why does high accuracy mode hurt the battery at all when the GPS or any location service is not in use?

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Does it really affect standby time? Why does high accuracy mode hurt the battery at all when the GPS or any location service is not in use?

I don't have full understanding why it hurts. But that's pretty much fact from my experience with android phones I had. It's not like 2x difference, but I could notice it for sure.
My guess is that basic google service like play store, search, etc pulls location data in background in certain period and it uses whatever location mode it's currently set. Looking at info on location setting, battery usage page show that more power is used for location with high accuracy mode on. But if you disable basic google apps like search, maps, chrome, it will be much less issue I think.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

except it is in use, without your knowledge, by a host of apps and services. Hence the privacy concerns and battery woes.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
except it is in use, without your knowledge, by a host of apps and services. Hence the privacy concerns and battery woes.

The battery woes have never messed with me. I have always kept it like that and don't notice any significant drain .. but I also know what apps I have set to do what .. So I could see how some would have battery issues if they just let apps do whatever without checking.

Privacy.. for me .. meh.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
It's a pita to change it on and off each time. Why not?

Well, it drains the battery at a higher rate for one. Do what you want, I was just curious if you had some sort of app that needed the high accuracy on, most just turn it on for nav purposes.

nivekious

Mar 24, 2015
Visit site
Doesn't matter how long they claim the battery will last. My S4 lasts 8 hours on standby and a little over 2 with constant use at this point, and I'm sure it was rated way higher than that. If I can't have the peace of mind of carrying an extra couple of batteries with me they can forget about getting my business.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't matter how long they claim the battery will last. My S4 lasts 8 hours on standby and a little over 2 with constant use at this point, and I'm sure it was rated way higher than that. If I can't have the peace of mind of carrying an extra couple of batteries with me they can forget about getting my business.

Sounds like you've already made up your mind. With all the battery optimization efforts brought to bear, a smaller battery, to your point, based upon what we know so far, appears poised to do as well as it bigger brother in the GS5 even though the improved specs and performance would suggest otherwise. If this device isn't for you, there are rumors that Active will have the features that you are looking for possibly at the cost of the camera having OIS but lower specs as an example.

netzwurm

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. There is absolutely no reason a company should purposely make their phone battery worse than the previous version.

Do we know this? I would actually be curiuos to see what the S5's ratings would be on Lollipop. With all the battery drain issues people have reported for 5.0.2, I wouldn't be surprised if battery life hasn't actually decreased in terms of hardware. Then again, I never used a GS5 on Lollipop (switching to the GS6 from a Nexus 4), so this might not apply.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Do we know this? I would actually be curiuos to see what the S5's ratings would be on Lollipop. With all the battery drain issues people have reported for 5.0.2, I wouldn't be surprised if battery life hasn't actually decreased in terms of hardware. Then again, I never used a GS5 on Lollipop (switching to the GS6 from a Nexus 4), so this might not apply.

Recent reviews are trending toward comparable to slightly less. Review units mind you. The smaller battery is powering more powerful and efficient hardware with improved performance and features while bigger brother powers less efficient hardware and a more bloated UI with less firmware optimization. What I do know is...the Predators have clinched a playoff spot.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Any studies of battery life for S6 vs. S6 edge?

There have been a great deal of mention about battery life, but nothing definitive as testing results depend upon device set ups and firmware versions as well as the experience of the reviewer. Some have suggested that the battery life issues may be the result of Lollipop 5.0.2 which is supposedly addressed by version 5.1 and not necessarily due to design choices made by Samsung.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech