The S6 will have the best battery life of all flagships this year, so stop complaining

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Cool. That's helpful when you're out.

Agreed. Phone will be great for 95% of the time, but in those emergencies or other unexpected scenarios, it really could suck. I know to have an external pack when traveling, etc. But I'm not carrying it around at all times just in case I need it

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Agreed. Phone will be great for 95% of the time, but in those emergencies or other unexpected scenarios, it really could suck. I know to have an external pack when traveling, etc. But I'm not carrying it around at all times just in case I need it

Quite. I ditched the LG G3 for the Sony Z3 for that reason. Anything other than being very careful with what I used my phone for - which is a bit pointless on a 'smartphone' - led the G3 to 10-12 hours maximum, which isn't much use if you're out from 6am.

I do think the S6 will likely last longer than that if I got one, but, other than one or two exceptions, the Z3 battery is untouchable in my experience.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
That's when you go into Battery Saving Mode, I guess.

However, I'm a bit concerned about the battery life too. "Decent" or "average" battery life isn't really enough these days given what we do with smartphones. When you consider this is a 2015 flagship, to have "average" battery life is quite abysmal sounding. I honestly could have done without the super hi resolution screen. If Samsung had just provided 1080p screen, and allowed the battery to power the device for longer (think Xperia Z3-like battery!) I would have been fine with that, too.

Either way, I hope the quick charge and wireless charging help stem this potential issue.

Can't wait for my Gold S6 to come! :)

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
That's when you go into Battery Saving Mode, I guess.

However, I'm a bit concerned about the battery life too. "Decent" or "average" battery life isn't really enough these days given what we do with smartphones. When you consider this is a 2015 flagship, to have "average" battery life is quite abysmal sounding. I honestly could have done without the super hi resolution screen. If Samsung had just provided 1080p screen, and allowed the battery to power the device for longer (think Xperia Z3-like battery!) I would have been fine with that, too.

Either way, I hope the quick charge and wireless charging help stem this potential issue.

Can't wait for my Gold S6 to come! :)

Obviously what battery life each individual gets is all in the tasting... what I call heavy another may call average and so on.

What I have noticed on reviews on the like of Android Central, Android Authority, Phone Dog etc. is what is classified as a 'Full-day', well, isn't. Often you'll see or hear them say that phone X got between 14-16 hours on a single charge so should see you through a full day. If you work, then I'd say 16 hours is the minimum 'Full-day' - that's 6am to 10pm. I think 18 hours is a more reasonable benchmark for this, as this would cover most peoples 'days'.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Obviously what battery life each individual gets is all in the tasting... what I call heavy another may call average and so on.

What I have noticed on reviews on the like of Android Central, Android Authority, Phone Dog etc. is what is classified as a 'Full-day', well, isn't. Often you'll see or hear them say that phone X got between 14-16 hours on a single charge so should see you through a full day. If you work, then I'd say 16 hours is the minimum 'Full-day' - that's 6am to 10pm. I think 18 hours is a more reasonable benchmark for this, as this would cover most peoples 'days'.

Yeah, battery is a really difficult thing to measure.

Another huge factor? Cell reception. When I had the Nexus 5, cell reception was utter garbage, and it would constantly struggle to get/keep a strong signal. It was a killer on the battery life. Depending on where people are, cell reception is such a variable, too.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, battery is a really difficult thing to measure.

Another huge factor? Cell reception. When I had the Nexus 5, cell reception was utter garbage, and it would constantly struggle to get/keep a strong signal. It was a killer on the battery life. Depending on where people are, cell reception is such a variable, too.

Very true. Some of my family live no more than 5 miles from me, and in their area my phone spends the whole time grabbing at reception and gets hot. It probably costs 2-3%ph more whilst I'm there.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I really hope this some bad results are T-mobile thing or something in early days. If AT&T one ends up like this and wide spread, that would be very disappointing.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
If you look at this thread over XDA you'll see that their Battery Life is very different than what it has been discussed here on AC, so definitely I'm sure that there are other factors that are affecting some users experience.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
If you look at this thread over XDA you'll see that their Battery Life is very different than what it has been discussed here on AC, so definitely I'm sure that there are other factors that are affecting some users experience.

Actually it's not that different. But they might have found the problem. Wifi calling turned on might be the issue. Without it over 5 hours of SoT is had but with only 12 hours of total. Still fast better than less than 4.

I'll have to read it further and see if tomorrow it looks even better.

Posted via the Android Central App

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Actually it's not that different. But they might have found the problem. Wifi calling turned on might be the issue. Without it over 5 hours of SoT is had but with only 12 hours of total. Still fast better than less than 4.

I'll have to read it further and see if tomorrow it looks even better.

Posted via the Android Central App

I was talking specifically about the guy that has posted the SoT screenshots and the last one I saw he had over 3 hours of SoT and still 49% available. That obviously is not what I'm expecting on this phone, but again, when people where getting 5 SoT with the S5 I was getting constantly over 6 hours, so by that logic, if this phone manages to get 4.5 SoT for most people, I'm sure that the way I set and use my phone I will get over 5 hours easily, and that is very good on my standards.