Galaxy Note 4 to Galaxy s6/s6 Edge?

uncledeewz

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I agree it would not be an upgrade but I'm making the switch. And the only reason I'm making the switch is because of size. As much as I love phablets they do hurt my hand after just a couple of minutes use. I'm not willing to give up one handed usability unfortunately which is a shame since I really love my Note 4. The only thing that worries me is battery life but from what I've seen I can live with it. A smaller battery is not a big problem when we have quick charging available. Some sacrifices must be made either way...

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
How many people are going from the Galaxy Note 4 to the Galaxy s6/s6 Edge and why?

I am not one of them but I have seen a number of them asking the same question. Some got the Note 4 because of its features and/or the GS5 didn't meet their needs. If I were one interested in the GS6, I would be looking at the faster processor, better camera in low light conditions, NFC/MST mobile payment, dual wireless charging standards built in, slimmed down UI, and improved fingerprint scanner. Some didn't really use the s pen but liked the screen real estate.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I agree it would not be an upgrade but I'm making the switch. And the only reason I'm making the switch is because of size. As much as I love phablets they do hurt my hand after just a couple of minutes use. I'm not willing to give up one handed usability unfortunately which is a shame since I really love my Note 4. The only thing that worries me is battery life but from what I've seen I can live with it. A smaller battery is not a big problem when we have quick charging available. Some sacrifices must be made either way...

Although I am not a GN4 owner, curious on why your guys don't see it as upgrade.

uncledeewz

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Although I am not a GN4 owner, curious on why your guys don't see it as upgrade.

I can only speak for myself but after reading you're response to OP it does seem like an upgrade after all. The reason I didn't see it as an upgrade is that the Note series is known for its specs and performance, and that it's on par or slightly ahead of the spring/summer releases. But yeah, it does look like an upgrade (except the battery).
Off topic: have to say that qualcomm has really gotten terrible this last year. The 801 was good in 1080 phones but struggled in the LG g3 and its 2k resolution. The 805 that's running my Note 4 is decent at best especially when you compare it to the exynos powered one. And the 810 seems to be a terrible chipset based on what I've read so far. I mean a m9 running 801 or 805 "may" have been a better choice. Especially considering battery life and heat but I'm just speculating...

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I used to love the Note series. I've owned many android phones in the past:

G1
Samsung Infuse
Note 2
Note 3
Note 4
Nexus 4
Nexus 5
Nexus 6
S5

Honestly out of all of those my favorite was the s5. It had a great camera, great feel in the hand, I could reach all quadrants of the screen one handed, etc. I loved my s5. I know plastic phones aren't popular here but it's not a big deal to me. As long as the plastic is quality, doesn't creak and isn't super greasy like the s4, it's good enough for me.

I was ultimately disappointed by the Note 4. The screen is nice and while the s pen functionality was improved, I use it much less than I did on my previous notes. For some reason, can't put my finger on it, I just didn't like my note 4 as much as my s5. I know I'll get flamed but there are experiences you can't qualify with spec sheets. I just never got the feeling for the note 4 that I did with the s5. I will say that the note 4 is a better phone. The finger scanner is more reliable (although I rarely had problems on my s5 but I don't have any on the note 4). The note 4 also has a much better camera, but again, the s5 was great too. The note 4 is a better phone than the s5 in literally every way but I can't help but love my s5 more.

This is why I'm excited about the s6, and I can't wait to get it. That said I'll still keep my note 4 around to compare.

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
My note 4 edge is a one of a kind phone so no I'll hold on to it but I'll trade my trusted gs4 for the gs6 hope att gets the gold ones

Posted via the Android Central App

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Im not a big fan of phablets, but last night while drooling over the S6 videos...it made me think "why wouldnt i consider the Note 4?". Ive never used a Note device, i know they're big and thats it. I was concerned/put off by the size of the screen but i do have big hands. I know the processor in the S6 is an improvement, but really...so go from the Note 4 to an S6? based on the comparisons regarding the camera and stress tests, the Note 4 is almost identical and with a much larger battery.

I was against phablets, but now i am really looking at both these devices closely.

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Im not a big fan of phablets, but last night while drooling over the S6 videos...it made me think "why wouldnt i consider the Note 4?". Ive never used a Note device, i know they're big and thats it. I was concerned/put off by the size of the screen but i do have big hands. I know the processor in the S6 is an improvement, but really...so go from the Note 4 to an S6? based on the comparisons regarding the camera and stress tests, the Note 4 is almost identical and with a much larger battery.

I was against phablets, but now i am really looking at both these devices closely.

This may make up your mind...

http://m.androidcentral.com/best-bu...laxy-note-4?utm_source=ac&utm_medium=dlvrit

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
The only downgrade is size, battery, and removable storage. Everything else is an upgrade. Screen, camera, processor, wireless charging, etc. And for me, I prefer the smaller size, and removable battery and storage aren't important. The Note 4 is an incredible device, but to flat out say going from Note 4 to S6 isn't an upgrade isn't even close to accurate.

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
If I lived in the USA I'd totally go with that deal

Posted via the Android Central App

Well, let me give you this tid bit of advice then...

I had a Note 3 for almost a year. Great device. But it developed a problem with the radio and would drop calls left and right. Long story short they let me "upgrade" to the S5 because of the problems.

I hardly noticed the smaller screen on the S5 to be honest. It was as good as the Note 3. And I found that I really didn't miss the S-Pen at all.

But here is the difference for you, in that you are looking at the Note 4 and S6.

When I got the S5 I still had removable battery and SD just like the Note 3. You go S6 you won't. Something to consider.

S5 and Note 3, IMO, if you disregard the S-Pen, are the same phone. Very similar software and performance, and camera quality as well.

The same can be said for the S6 and Note 4. What is more important? Smaller size and premium build? Or bigger size, S-Pen, removable battery, and SD?

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Well, let me give you this tid bit of advice then...

I had a Note 3 for almost a year. Great device. But it developed a problem with the radio and would drop calls left and right. Long story short they let me "upgrade" to the S5 because of the problems.

I hardly noticed the smaller screen on the S5 to be honest. It was as good as the Note 3. And I found that I really didn't miss the S-Pen at all.

But here is the difference for you, in that you are looking at the Note 4 and S6.

When I got the S5 I still had removable battery and SD just like the Note 3. You go S6 you won't. Something to consider.

S5 and Note 3, IMO, if you disregard the S-Pen, are the same phone. Very similar software and performance, and camera quality as well.

The same can be said for the S6 and Note 4. What is more important? Smaller size and premium build? Or bigger size, S-Pen, removable battery, and SD?

Removable battery and SD card are not selling points to me, 32GB is more than enough storage and I have not owned a removable battery device for a very long time. I also cant imagine the S Pen being a deal breaker, im not a stylus fan.

With that said, the bigger size screen is nice but not one of the major selling points either. The bigger battery is a definite selling point. Premium build is a nice add on but not a selling point with the S6, because of that camera lens it will NEED a case...even a thin clear one just to protect the lens. I currently have a Nexus 5, i love the screen size and any bigger im not sure if id like it...so this leaves me to believe the S6 is the better choice. The camera is also a deal breaker for me, the reviews out now say the Note 4 produces better pictures than the S6, eventhough they have the same lens. The Note 4 in Canada is $200 on contract, the S6 will be $250. A smaller screen, slightly improved processor, smaller battery for more money?...thats making me cringe a little.

robertc88

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
The Note 4 blows the S5 out of the water when it comes to performance. S5 doesn't not manage memory well at all.

As far as note 4 versus S6? Well one think to consider is the S pen. Many do not want to lose that capability. Nor would they really care to go back to a small screen.

KyleDC

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I am currently a Note 4 user and I'm seriously considering getting a galaxy s6. To be completely honest with you, I'm just not feeling the Note 4. Its mostly the size of the phone and the design that's making me consider changing. I originally thought that the size of the phone would be a huge plus since I'm constantly taking pictures, reading books, and most importantly watching videos. Yes its true this phone is great for those things but what about the basic features of the phone? Like texting, answering calls and checking social media? It's honestly a nightmare for me. When I'm on public transit (which I use more often than I would like), when I am on commute with a coffee in hand or anything in hand for that matter, and during many other situations, its nearly impossible to use my phone with a single hand. I'm always fumbling around trying to get the phone in the perfect position (which puts my phone in danger a lot of times), or swiping back in fourth trying to activate one hand reach-ability. Let me tell you this, the one handed reach-ability feature seems great, but since the phone is still so big I have to hold it differently and therefore the distance that I can cover with my thumb across the screen is decreased compared to if I was using a smaller device. Its completely unacceptable and the bigger display is more often a con than a pro. This phone just isn't for me, I need a smaller device. I'm sick of feeling crippled and looking like an *****. But I have to say, I'm seriously going to miss the S Pen!