Does anyone know if Samsung's super fast charging will cause the battery to degrade faster than normal?

Posted via Android Central App
    03-24-2015 08:08 PM
    Does anyone know if Samsung's super fast charging will cause the battery to degrade faster than normal?

Posted via Android Central App
    Why would they introduce rapid charging? Tongue planted firmly in cheek.
    ShaunAFC3 likes this.
    03-24-2015 08:14 PM
    No, no one actually knows. No matter what they're about to tell you to convince you that they do know. They can theorize, speculate, pontificate, bloviate, and fornicate to their hearts content, but no one's actually gone and tested it long-term (at least no one allowed to come and tell us the results anyway).
    ShaunAFC3 likes this.
    03-24-2015 08:26 PM
    In theory, yes, in practice, probably not noticeable.
    ShaunAFC3 likes this.
    03-24-2015 08:30 PM
    No, no one actually knows. No matter what they're about to tell you to convince you that they do know. They can theorize, speculate, pontificate, bloviate, and fornicate to their hearts content, but no one's actually gone and tested it long-term (at least no one allowed to come and tell us the results anyway).
    Exactly. We need to wait and see. I can't help but think that there a few bright people at Samsung who have figured this out. It would be a huge fail if the rapid charging and wireless charging would degrade their own product.
    ShaunAFC3 likes this.
    03-24-2015 08:33 PM
    Exactly. We need to wait and see. I can't help but think that there a few bright people at Samsung who have figured this out. It would be a huge fail if the rapid charging and wireless charging would degrade their own product.
    Very possible. But also remember, sometimes technical people build something, and document the caveats (like not overusing a feature because it causes excess wear) but then the marketing and documentation departments downplay the caveats, or outright "forget" about them (trust me, I've seen it, it's so damn frustrating). That's why we'll have to wait and see.
    03-24-2015 08:48 PM
    Very possible. But also remember, sometimes technical people build something, and document the caveats (like not overusing a feature because it causes excess wear) but then the marketing and documentation departments downplay the caveats, or outright "forget" about them (trust me, I've seen it, it's so damn frustrating). That's why we'll have to wait and see.
    But they're Korean, come on.
    03-24-2015 09:04 PM
    It depends on when and how much it degrades when compared to "regular" charging batteries. All batteries degrade. If it's only a small amount more than normal, it probably won't be perceivable to the user and to them it's a moot point. What I plan on doing and recommend everyone else doing is only using the fast charger when you need to. I plan on using the wireless charging for my over night charging and probably the same at work if I need it. The quick charger will be in my kitchen/living room which is usually where I am when I realize I need some juice before going somewhere.
    ShaunAFC3 likes this.
    03-24-2015 09:11 PM
    It depends on when and how much it degrades when compared to "regular" charging batteries. All batteries degrade. If it's only a small amount more than normal, it probably won't be perceivable to the user and to them it's a moot point. What I plan on doing and recommend everyone else doing is only using the fast charger when you need to. I plan on using the wireless charging for my over night charging and probably the same at work if I need it. The quick charger will be in my kitchen/living room which is usually where I am when I realize I need some juice before going somewhere.
    Talked to the Samsung sales rep at Best Buy. He actually said that it would charge so fast that it would be sitting on the pad fully charged for hours.
    ShaunAFC3 likes this.
    03-24-2015 09:13 PM
    Talked to the Samsung sales rep at Best Buy. He actually said that it would charge so fast that it would be sitting on the pad fully charged for hours.
    Once it is charged it can sit on the pad indifferently, it will not over charge. Regulator circuit will prevent this.
    03-24-2015 10:22 PM
    Once it is charged it can sit on the pad indifferently, it will not over charge. Regulator circuit will prevent this.
    Not saying it would over charge.
    03-24-2015 10:24 PM
    Quick charging 2.0 has been around for a bit and I have never seen any true degradation from using that charging on my M8 I have had access to a wall / car charger that was 2.0 for some time and my battery experience was nearly the same for the last year. Even with 5.0 update I have never seen any difference in using a quick charging circuit. Given this is not a 2-5 year test results but I have been using it DAILY for a very LONG period of time so I think I can give my feedback on my device.
    ShaunAFC3 likes this.
    03-24-2015 10:52 PM
    Quick charging 2.0 has been around for a bit and I have never seen any true degradation from using that charging on my M8 I have had access to a wall / car charger that was 2.0 for some time and my battery experience was nearly the same for the last year. Even with 5.0 update I have never seen any difference in using a quick charging circuit. Given this is not a 2-5 year test results but I have been using it DAILY for a very LONG period of time so I think I can give my feedback on my device.
    First, your battery will degrade over time, quick charge or not. It would be supernatural if it doesn't.

Only reliable way you can be sure there is no difference, is to have two phones, one with quick charge on, one off. Then do battery calibration on both every 3 months and have a record (like this: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...reference.html ). Thats a long and expensive experiment for sure.
    03-25-2015 06:28 AM
    Someone buy me 2 S6`s and I volunteer to do the experiment.
    clevin likes this.
    03-25-2015 06:40 AM
    Someone buy me 2 S6`s and I volunteer to do the experiment.
    I am glad to help too! and I have experience!
    03-25-2015 07:20 AM
    I am glad to help too! and I have experience!
    Count me in. My wallet would certainly appreciate it. It would be great having a backup device of the same model.
    clevin likes this.
    03-25-2015 07:27 AM
    it's been more than half a year since this thread started...

just wondering if you folks noticed any difference? does fast charging decrease the longevity of the internal battery?
    10-08-2015 12:51 AM
    I have a Galaxy S6 and I am in the same boat as you!

I am wondering about Fast charging will degrade my bettery life much more faster then the standard charging!!

Can someone tell us please??!!
    10-06-2016 10:24 AM