06-23-2015 09:25 PM
423 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    Andrew,

I preordered the 64GB black sapphire GS6 on AT&T. Two questions.

1) I am a klutz sometimes and plan on using a rugged case. The Defender or Lifeproof Frė. Will these cases impede the functionality of the NFC/MST and wireless charging?

2) Of all the US carriers, why is it possible for TMO to leap frog carriers like AT&T in releasing the GS6 and the Edge?

Thanks very much for your time and attention.
    03-28-2015 10:01 PM
    I noticed a slight issue on the edges with light reflecting when reading on the display model at Best Buy, but it didn't seem like a deal breaker at all to me. It was the best looking phone I'd ever seen and I can't wait to get it.

I guess this is why it's good we have options!
    I wonder if the light refraction is something a person would get used to over time, or if it would become more annoying with time?
    03-28-2015 10:05 PM
    On a scale of 1-10 (10 being the highest) how angry are you that you were given the white model to test

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
    racedog likes this.
    03-28-2015 10:08 PM
    I wonder if the light refraction is something a person would get used to over time, or if it would become more annoying with time?
    I only noticed it in landscape mode when watching a video. And it wasn't a huge deal. It was otherwise just a beautiful piece of tech. I don't have any regrets after playing with one other than not splurging for the 128gb.

Also, the guy let us use one right out of the box. So we got full use. No security lock or anything. Let us use the focus tracking on the camera, which worked fairly well, by the way.
    03-28-2015 10:08 PM
    I noticed a slight issue on the edges with light reflecting when reading on the display model at Best Buy, but it didn't seem like a deal breaker at all to me. It was the best looking phone I'd ever seen and I can't wait to get it.

I guess this is why it's good we have options!
    The issue with testing phones at Best Buy is they always have the phones on full brightness and plugged in. I have used the phone in multiple lighting conditions, and when using full brightness and auto. The shadowing tends to happen in low light and medium or lower brightness settings. The refraction issue happens predominantly with CFL lighting in a work environment. It is present, the question will be if it bothers you or not, for me it ruins what otherwise is the best display quality on a phone.
    03-28-2015 10:39 PM
    I only noticed it in landscape mode when watching a video. And it wasn't a huge deal. It was otherwise just a beautiful piece of tech. I don't have any regrets after playing with one other than not splurging for the 128gb.

Also, the guy let us use one right out of the box. So we got full use. No security lock or anything. Let us use the focus tracking on the camera, which worked fairly well, by the way.
    I've got a 128GB iPhone, and I don't regret splurging on it at all. I have 75 apps, almost all the photos I have and my entire music library installed and still have 12 or 13GB free.
    03-28-2015 11:10 PM
    How's the battery life? Is charging really as fast as they claim?
    03-28-2015 11:22 PM
    He mentioned early that charging is pretty fast, but battery life isn't that great.
    03-28-2015 11:29 PM
    Andrew,

I'm going to need some extra info or clarification about Clean Master.

I understand that it's built in and you can't remove it or disable it. But can you not use it? Is it going to annoy me with pop ups or tell me that my phone is running hot after I play a game?

I don't like the app at all and hate what it is doing to a friend of mine (he's so addicted to it. He uses it every hour on the hour). But I don't mind it if I can ignore it and if doesn't bother me with pesky notifications or pop ups.

Posted via Android Central App
    I too, dislike this intrusive app and would like to know the answer to this question.... Play a game or just if the phone heats up a little, get notifications and/or pop ups?...If you can help with an answer, Thanks very much.
    I haven't gotten any pop-ups or warnings from the Smart Manager (that's the utility) yet. So far it's been fine to just ignore the icon in the app drawer and not use it.

Are the finger hover and air gesture features still working on the S6? Can we still use the screen with a glove on?
    There are a few gestures available like turning the phone over to mute it, swiping your hand across the screen for a screenshot, and picking up the phone to your ear to make/answer calls. There's no additional hover options.

As far as gloves, I don't see the standard "increase touch sensitivity" option that's on the Note 4 and Galaxy S5... but I'm still able to use the phone through cloth. Maybe they just turned that high-sensitivity mode on all the time?
    japhule likes this.
    03-28-2015 11:33 PM
    He mentioned early that charging is pretty fast, but battery life isn't that great.
    Phone has Quick Charging, but Wireless charging is slow(it seems to initially charge quickly) and the phone gets quite warm when charming from my Nokia Wireless Charger.

Battery life is just okay, I would say the same as a Motorola X , not close to the Note 4
    03-28-2015 11:35 PM
    Andrew,

I preordered the 64GB black sapphire GS6 on AT&T. Two questions.

1) I am a klutz sometimes and plan on using a rugged case. The Defender or Lifeproof Frė. Will these cases impede the functionality of the NFC/MST and wireless charging?
    I see no reason why a case would get in the way of NFC or wireless charging. That's a pretty known quantity right now — most phones with those features work just fine through cases. As far as MST, I have no idea... Samsung Pay hasn't launched yet and isn't on the phone.

2) Of all the US carriers, why is it possible for TMO to leap frog carriers like AT&T in releasing the GS6 and the Edge?

Thanks very much for your time and attention.
    Not entirely sure. T-Mobile seems to do that a lot lately, they're just first out the door in having stock ready to go and getting it to customers. They just strike the right deals.

On a scale of 1-10 (10 being the highest) how angry are you that you were given the white model to test

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
    8. Really don't care for white phones :P — I don't like how the white bezel around the screen looks, tbh.

Not to be taken as gospel, but right now I'm looking at 12-14 hours use with ~2.5 hours screen on time at most on the GS6. That's about what I get on the Moto X 2014, for reference. We'll see if today's update improves that.

It charges fast, just like other phones with Quick Charge 2.0 charge fast... it just maybe feels a little faster because you're only charging a 2500mAh battery.
    jcp007 likes this.
    03-28-2015 11:37 PM
    I have a Note 2 in which I really like the speaker loudness and fullness(for music). I read where you didn't like the speaker to much for the S6. When comparing the S6 speaker against the Note 2's speaker, would they be on the same level for loudness and fullness?
    03-29-2015 12:49 AM
    I didn't see anyone ask this yet, but sorry if I missed it. Any news on a developer edition? I have to pay retail anyway. Might as well get a dev phone while I'm at it.

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-29-2015 01:28 AM

Not to be taken as gospel, but right now I'm looking at 12-14 hours use with ~2.5 hours screen on time at most on the GS6. That's about what I get on the Moto X 2014, for reference. We'll see if today's update improves that.
    And the screen brightness is set at?

You know that you got a broken phone when you are the only one who says such low screen on time. Believe me, I trust you more then other websites, but your listing half of what others are saying and even if you are using max brightness, something is wrong.

03-29-2015 05:22 AM

You know that you got a broken phone when you are the only one who says such low screen on time. Believe me, I trust you more then other websites, but your listing half of what others are saying and even if you are using max brightness, something is wrong.

Between these supposed performance issues and the battery, I'm starting to think you got a lemon.

03-29-2015 05:37 AM
    Hopefully the battery life isn't like the 2014 Moto X. That was the reason I sold mine, battery was horrendous.
    03-29-2015 06:36 AM
    갤럭시s6 엣지 드랍테스트:

Do I have to ask the question?

03-29-2015 08:02 AM
    The camera's only going to ratchet down to f/1.9 in super low light situations where it needs it. I haven't seen any "issues" there.
    Cool. I didn't realize the aperture wasn't fixed. So thought at 1.9 for everything it would be difficult to get some shots in focus. Thanks for the info!
    03-29-2015 10:09 AM
    I have a Note 2 in which I really like the speaker loudness and fullness(for music). I read where you didn't like the speaker to much for the S6. When comparing the S6 speaker against the Note 2's speaker, would they be on the same level for loudness and fullness?
    Sorry don't have a Note 2 to test next to... I can just say that the speaker gets loud, but it isn't at all full or pleasant at higher volumes. When you look at the size of the speaker you can see why.

I didn't see anyone ask this yet, but sorry if I missed it. Any news on a developer edition? I have to pay retail anyway. Might as well get a dev phone while I'm at it.

No word on that yet.

Auto brightness always.

Find it hard to believe that I have two phones that are "broken" in identically the same way. Like I said I haven't read the other coverage from people, but I see under no circumstances how you could get double the battery life of what I'm getting. 24+ hours out of this phone is impossible, even in Ultra Power Saving Mode.

And of course I could get more screen on time out of this phone, but then the total battery life numbers would be shorter. In my time with it, the best way I can describe this phone is 12-14 hours life, with up to 3 hours screen on. Naturally if my first 3 hours of using the phone are with the screen on 100% of the time that 12-14 hour number isn't going to happen — not to mention that it matters what you're doing when the screen is on. That's why the whole focus on screen-on time is kind of a misnomer.

Between these supposed performance issues and the battery, I'm starting to think you got a lemon.

As I note above, I find it hard to believe that I have two phones that are both "lemons" in the same way. Not to mention that I've done factory resets as well.

갤럭시s6 엣지 드랍테스트:

no.
    03-29-2015 10:19 AM
    Andrew

I was about to ask a notification light question but saw you answered that it has one. As a follow up can you set different colors for different apps or would I need to download something like Light Manager?

Sent from my Nexus 7
    03-29-2015 10:26 AM
    갤럭시s6 엣지 드랍테스트:

WTF did I just see?? It was like watching someone kick their dog.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    bjs188 likes this.
    03-29-2015 10:29 AM
    I can tell you that the T-mobile S6 comes with 5.0 but and update to 5.0.2 hits the phone out of the box
    03-29-2015 10:29 AM
    So based on the way you tested and with light to medium use (but little to no gaming/benchmarking), my m8 can get 30 to 40 hours with the same screen on time. I get more screen on time when gaming then you are with light to medium use.

I'm perplexed.

03-29-2015 11:10 AM
    So based on the way you tested and with light to medium use (but little to no gaming/benchmarking), my m8 can get 30 to 40 hours with the same screen on time. I get more screen on time when gaming then you are with light to medium use.

I'm perplexed.

Last year's tech better than this year's? No, I don't believe that for a second. If this is true then Samsung really screwed the pooch this year.

I can't believe they'd put anything less than the very best hardware/software in this device, including best possible battery.

03-29-2015 01:00 PM
    Last year's tech better than this year's? No, I don't believe that for a second. If this is true then Samsung really screwed the pooch this year.

I can't believe they'd put anything less than the very best hardware/software in this device, including best possible battery.

Go argue with Andrew then. I personally trust him highly.
    They are also on T-Mobile with a just released update.

I wanted this phone so bad, but I'm a medium to heavy user. It won't last me a trip to the mall or a picnic at the park. You can forget about going to an amusement park for the day unless you feel like being the only one with their phone sitting in the car charging.

03-29-2015 01:31 PM
423 ... 910111213 ...