I have a Galaxy S6 and S6 edge, you have questions — ask me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Does the swipe in from the side quick contacts on the 6 edge work with another launcher such as Nova installed or only on Touchwiz?

The swipe-in gesture with quick contacts seems to be tied to the launcher. I installed Google Now Launcher and the swipes are gone.

Looks like it was a bug when first running GNL. I switched launchers back and back again, rebooted and now the edge screen swipes are there with a third-party launcher. Good news!

ref: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...-you-have-questions-ask-me-6.html#post4307727

How much space was free on the phone after you took it out of the box? Wondering how much of the 32gb it's using

Noted above — 23.5GB free after Google Account and phone setup.

Does the edge seem like it will take some abuse? Like a drop from your lap onto some bad asphalt from the car?

I'm worries that it's going to be worse then a used iPhone leaving glass shards in every finger.

Posted from the commode, thanks to Samsung Galaxy S5a.

The Gorilla Glass 4 is pretty strong, but I don't think it'll be any replacement for just having metal or plastic on the sides of the phone. The curved glass edges are definitely vulnerable to bumps and drops. My tip: don't drop your phone, regardless of what phone you have :p

Last edited:

Grapir

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Regarding the issue with edges of the screen

During MWC (search on youtube for "galaxy S6 & S6 Edge Touchscreen Issues totally Sucks!" (i can´t post links in the forum yet)

edges.JPG

Jarvis73

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Almost forgot will AT&T sell the phones in their native boxes or the infamous orange white boxes?

Posted via the Android Central App

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
How's the touch response, specifically with the keyboard? That's been a pain point for me on prior Samsung devices.

UpTheDumper

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
Well when you're a busy contractor things happen.. thanks for the review. I want the edge desperately, but the hardness of the s5 active will keep me from updating until "real world" issues arise.

So far what have you found to be the best feature of either phone?

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Also for the future review can u address if you experience any difference if any between a snapdragon processor and the exynos processor use in the real world? thanks... cant wait for the full review

Naturally I'll be talking about performance and how the phone operates with my usual use. Indications are this is just as fast — and remember there are plenty of previous Samsung phones internationally that shipped with Exynos.

How is memory management? How much is the system using and with apps opened how much is still free?

Just opened up my GS6 settings — System 1.3GB RAM, Apps 603MB, Free 740MB.

And bloatware? Is it kept to a minimum and what can be disable?

Thanks much!

There are a lot of apps pre-installed, as you would expect. Samsung has about a dozen apps. Microsoft has Skype, OneNote and OneDrive. Facebook has its main app, Instagram, Messenger and WhatsApp installed. T-Mobile has 6 apps, and Lookout. You can disable most of them.

What bothered me about touchwiz was all the unnecessary things they threw in. The persistent notification when I was on WiFi. The fact that they wouldn't let me use the camera after the battery was down to a certain point. The pop-up when I turned my headphones too loud. These are the rgjbgs that always made me hate touchwiz. Are these still present and have you found anything new? Can you turn any of these off?

Persistent Wifi notification is gone, but that one's going to be up to carriers most likely. Headphone pop-up is still there (and probably a good idea the first time you — or a child — crank your headphones up). It's mostly the same in terms of those little things. Samsung is still Samsung.

Floridadomer

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Is the Edge narrower than the the S6? Do you feel like you loose screen real estate width wise since it curves on both sides?
How much memory is left after the OS?

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Regarding the issue with edges of the screen

During MWC (search on youtube for "galaxy S6 & S6 Edge Touchscreen Issues totally Sucks!" (i can´t post links in the forum yet)

View attachment 168205

Haven't noticed that.

How long will it be before the carriers update the phones to 5.1?

Longer than you want, probably :(

Almost forgot will AT&T sell the phones in their native boxes or the infamous orange white boxes?

Hm, good question. AT&T used its own box on the Note 4. My T-Mobile ones are the "Samsung" box, but that was the case on older T-Mo Samsung devices before.

At least we know the fake wood grain boxes are gone, so in that respect we all win :)

How's the touch response, specifically with the keyboard? That's been a pain point for me on prior Samsung devices.

I think the issue is with the Samsung keyboard. It's pretty bad, and it has nothing to do with touch response of the phone. I've installed Google Keyboard.

How is the camera? Specifically vs HTC M9 and Note 4?

Only had a few snapshots, but it seems pretty good so far. It's fast and the interface is improved over what's on the Note 4. I'll have an M9 soon to compare, too.

Well when you're a busy contractor things happen.. thanks for the review. I want the edge desperately, but the hardness of the s5 active will keep me from updating until "real world" issues arise.

So far what have you found to be the best feature of either phone?

I like the double-press home button action to launch the camera from anywhere. The improved fingerprint sensor is also good.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
thank you for doing this Andrew. one question. aside from the difference indoors with the edge screen, is it even more distorted (for lack of a better word) outdoors?

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
So the response with the Google keyboard (which is my keyboard of choice) is just fine? I noticed a lag on my Note 4 with it.

TheIowaKid

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Andrew. Does the double tap to launch the camera work any and everywhere, even if you have a lock screen or pin enabled? Like if the screen was off and pin enabled, could I double tap straight out of my pocket and it goes straight to camera?

jeffisbiking

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
1. Does the S6/Edge support Quick Charge 2.0? Considering waiting on the rumored S6 Active for the bigger battery, but if QC2.0 is supported, I may grab that sooner.
2. Any plans to test Samsung Pay? I'm curious how well the Loop Pay portion of it works in real world use.

tazman69

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
How is signal strength/radio especially in marginal areas? My LG G3 constantly loses service in marginal areas where my HTC One M7 and iPhone 6 have no issues. I'm hoping it's decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.