I have a Galaxy S6 and S6 edge, you have questions — ask me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
This is an awesome thread Andrew! I'm not super interested in either of the devices to buy, but I like to know as much as I can about all the flagships. I never know what might sway me to buy. I wish you guys did this Q&A with all flagships

We try when we can. We like seeing what people want to know, too.

Forgot one...

How long does it take to boot up from being completely off to being able to opening the AC app?

Completely off to opening an app on the homescreen was ~20 seconds on my S6 edge.

Does the Galaxy S6 and Edge have the download booster feature still?

Yup, at least on this T-Mobile version. It's off by default.

Valatar

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Is there mobeam support in the S6 or was it cut? One of the things I'm pretty fond of in my S4 is Beep n'Go, which uses some magic unicorn blood or something in the phone to work with old-style laser scanners.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Back to the Edge not working on different launchers. As far as you can tell, is this just the quick contacts? Do the rest of the Edge features work while the screen is off? I.e. the clock and quick notification check.

I think this really made up my mind on the regular S6.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Is there mobeam support in the S6 or was it cut? One of the things I'm pretty fond of in my S4 is Beep n'Go, which uses some magic unicorn blood or something in the phone to work with old-style laser scanners.

I have no idea about any of that, tbh

Back to the Edge not working on different launchers. As far as you can tell, is this just the quick contacts? Do the rest of the Edge features work while the screen is off? I.e. the clock and quick notification check.

I think this really made up my mind on the regular S6.

Well look at that, switched back to TouchWiz launcher, then back to Google Now Launcher again, and now the edge gestures work with the GNL. Bug? I guess so. Great news though. I'll go back and edit my prior answers to reflect this.

In either case, I see no issues using the lock screen night clock or any of that with the third-party launcher.

Does the home button look crooked? I noticed when i got my note 4 that the home button looked crooked. Thats just my OCD kicking in lol.

Nope.

oh and does the screen over saturate in bright light? such as sunlight. I noticed this on my Note 4 and it actually is quite helpful on a sunny day.

Yup known feature, and something this'll do, too. http://www.androidcentral.com/heres-why-your-galaxy-note-4s-display-looks-so-weird-direct-sunlight

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Well look at that, switched back to TouchWiz launcher, then back to Google Now Launcher again, and now the edge gestures work with the GNL. Bug? I guess so. Great news though. I'll go back and edit my prior answers to reflect this.

In either case, I see no issues using the lock screen night clock or any of that with the third-party launcher.

Thanks for the info!! I was all set to get the S6 over the Edge now after reading that. I HATE losing functionality with different launchers. Part of the reason I want the Edge is for the possible additions that could open up through future development. Thanks again and thanks for this thread!

catsgonomnom

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for doing this! It is awesome!

Samsung phones support multi-window and what not, do those features work only in touchwiz? What about in GNL?

Thanks again Andrew!

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for doing this! It is awesome!

Samsung phones support multi-window and what not, do those features work only in touchwiz? What about in GNL?

Thanks again Andrew!

Multi Window is a system-level feature. Works with other launchers — the limitation is whether or not the apps you're using have the ability enabled on their end.

Is it likely that samsung will add functionality to the screen edge? can app developers add functionality as well, or is this normally locked down.

This isn't open like the Note Edge was. You get what Samsung's put there, which is minimal and arguably useful, with no further expansion.

I don't want to direct anyone to another site, but I did read at Anandtech, in their brief preview, that the screen goes to ~600 nits in auto mode (Auto Boost) but you can only get it to about half of that in manual brightness. Apparently colors/saturation are not as good at that brightness, but that is crazy readable in sunlight. I currently have an m7, but it sounds similar to what you describe on your note 4.

Yeah it's just like what you get on the note 4. Super high brightness, and it drops the saturation down a bit as a result. Makes it much easier to see in direct sunlight. Only works when your brightness is on "auto" though.

Hey Andrew, does the double press home button action launch the camera when you're using a different launcher like google now launcher?

Cheers!

It works everywhere in every situation.

flamingoezz

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Is it likely that samsung will add functionality to the screen edge? can app developers add functionality as well, or is this normally locked down.

TPavey

May 23, 2014
Visit site
oh and does the screen over saturate in bright light? such as sunlight. I noticed this on my Note 4 and it actually is quite helpful on a sunny day.

I don't want to direct anyone to another site, but I did read at Anandtech, in their brief preview, that the screen goes to ~600 nits in auto mode (Auto Boost) but you can only get it to about half of that in manual brightness. Apparently colors/saturation are not as good at that brightness, but that is crazy readable in sunlight. I currently have an m7, but it sounds similar to what you describe on your note 4.

kgh00007

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Hey Andrew, does the double press home button action launch the camera when you're using a different launcher like google now launcher?

Cheers!

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
i love these Q&A's, especially with this awesome phone.

Fingerprint reader work pretty quick and everytime?

Smoothness wise, how does it compare with Nexus 6/Moto X, etc. Just with fluidity of swiping through and opening/closing apps.

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for your previous answers Andrew! Looks like that new memory is definitely resulting in fast boot-up times!

Since you have two 6S phones, is Android Beam still supported and working reliably? Does it work with other Android phones as well (i.e. Nexus 6 or Nexus 5).

My wife and I use this feature pretty frequently!

TPavey

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I have a subjective first impression question that you may or may not be able to answer. How do you feel this compares to the other new flagships like the M9 and Flex 2? ie if you were handling them side by side in the store, what do you think you'd get?

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
It doesnt work with third-party launchers. its a feature tied to the TW launcher.

I'd argue that "most" people don't know what a third-party launcher is, but I get your point.

Looks like it was a bug when first running GNL. I switched launchers back and back again, rebooted and now the edge screen swipes are there with a third-party launcher. Good news!

ref: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...-you-have-questions-ask-me-6.html#post4307727

Thank you!!!

Posted via Android Central App

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia