06-23-2015 09:25 PM
423 ... 56789 ...
tools
    Thanks for doing this, you guys rock!

Two questions:
    If you're using it on T-Mobile, does the S6 / S6 Edge actually utilize their Band 12 LTE service? My Nexus 6 just got support in the 5.1 update and it's made a huge improvement indoors - would hate to lose that if I switched to the S6 Edge.

For Looppay, I'm assuming that it's just coming in an update later this year? Does the Samsung Pay app work with NFC in its current state?
    Confirmed with Des from Tmobile that it supports band 12.
    SuperTongue likes this.
    03-26-2015 02:41 PM
    Is it possible to see roughly how large (MB) an average picture is?
    Looks like about 3MB to 7MB, depending on the scene and whether HDR is on. That's also shooting in 12MP 4:3, because 16:9 pictures suck :P. Expect the full 16MP 16:9 shots to be larger, of course.

i love these Q&A's, especially with this awesome phone.
    thanks!

Fingerprint reader work pretty quick and everytime?
    Seems to so far. Had one error where it said the fingerprint sensor wasn't working, but aside from that it's been good.

Smoothness wise, how does it compare with Nexus 6/Moto X, etc. Just with fluidity of swiping through and opening/closing apps.
    Seems pretty smooth going through the interface and opening/switching apps so far.

Thanks for this post Andrew, and for answering my question
    No problem.

Thanks for your previous answers Andrew! Looks like that new memory is definitely resulting in fast boot-up times!
    Seems so.

Since you have two 6S phones, is Android Beam still supported and working reliably? Does it work with other Android phones as well (i.e. Nexus 6 or Nexus 5).

My wife and I use this feature pretty frequently!
    NFC and Android Beam are right there. Not on by default, but simply toggled on.

If you had to just keep one regardless of price...which one? the S6 or S6 Edge?
    S6.

I have a subjective first impression question that you may or may not be able to answer. How do you feel this compares to the other new flagships like the M9 and Flex 2? ie if you were handling them side by side in the store, what do you think you'd get?
    In terms of hardware, the S6 feels up there with the M9 in terms of high-end feel and good looks. It's still very "Samsung" so that may hit you the wrong way, but there's nothing cheap feeling. The software experiences are drastically different between the three phones, though, and that's really going to be up to you which one feels right.

This sounds like the memory leak issue N5 users are experiencing is also in the latest phones as well....
    Not sure how you can look at one anecdotal post of current RAM usage on a phone and determine there's a memory leak.

Note 4-level camera experience?
    Seems so, but maybe with better indoor low light performance? More testing needed. It's the same sensor as the Note 4, so we're at least at that level.

Any word on the Gold Platinum or Emerald Green colors becoming available in the US, specifically for T-Mo?
    Gold platinum not gold. Aren't they different colors?
    There's just one gold color, and its available in the U.S. It's the bright blue and emerald green that are not in the U.S.
    STEVESKI07 likes this.
    03-26-2015 02:46 PM
    can you control tracks from the edge when playing music?
    03-26-2015 02:47 PM
    Will the Galaxy S6 Edge gold option be available for T-mobile pre-order? I see only black and white listed.

Also, Will there be an option to buy unlocked S6 edge directly from Samsung similar to iphones?
    03-26-2015 02:47 PM
    Samsung released details in their sdk on how to use the edge in the gs6 edge.
    I can't post links, it's on an android central article on March 10. You can also Google galaxy s6 edge sdk.
    Samsung updates Look SDK with Edge UX for Galaxy S6 edge | Android Central is what you're looking for.

Maybe I should've made my answer a bit more nuanced. There's no dedicated "edge screen" where developers can make panels or apps that sit there permanently and can be used separately. We've yet to see exactly what developers can do, but it doesn't look like a whole lot beyond make their apps do something interesting with the edge while they're open on the S6 edge.

can you control tracks from the edge when playing music?
    Nope.

Will the Galaxy S6 Edge gold option be available for T-mobile pre-order? I see only black and white listed.
    I don't know specifics on colors, sorry.

Also, Will there be an option to buy unlocked S6 edge directly from Samsung similar to iphones?
    Right now, Samsung has no information on an unlocked U.S. model.
    03-26-2015 02:49 PM
    Hey Andrew -- Quick Question...

What carrier are you testing it on and does the radio seem to be the same (signal strength wise) compared to your other phones?
    03-26-2015 02:54 PM
    Why would you pick the S6 over the Edge?
    Grey_girl likes this.
    03-26-2015 02:55 PM
    One quick Q:
    how high is the volume when listening to audio via the headphone jack on the galaxy s6/s6 edge? In comparison to other phones like the htc one m8.

I'm wondering because last time I had a galaxy phone(the s3) the volume levels were quite low, when listening via the headphone jack.. And this was a serious bummer for me..
    03-26-2015 02:59 PM
    Thanks for doing the qa!
    03-26-2015 03:07 PM
    Thanks for your time in answering everybody's questions.

Could you explain what the advantage is in disabling the installed apps as if they are still on the device, rather than completely uninstalled, aren't they still going to take up storage space.

Also, do, you feel Samsung have made an error in using a glass back which is fairly fragile compared to the M9 back and seems prone to showing finger marks/scratches?
    03-26-2015 03:08 PM
    Is it possible to create a theme identical to stock Lollipop (material design) and use that on the S6?
    03-26-2015 03:16 PM
    I read somewhere the App Drawer does not have an option to sort apps alphabetically. Any alphabetical sorting has to be done manually. The apps are ordered based on the order of download. I do not recall any Android phone without that capability. Is there an option to sort the app drawer alphabetically?
    haikallp likes this.
    03-26-2015 03:20 PM
    You can just use the Google Now Launcher...it's just an app download.
    03-26-2015 03:21 PM
    Hey Andrew -- Quick Question...

What carrier are you testing it on and does the radio seem to be the same (signal strength wise) compared to your other phones?
    T-Mobile. Seems to be equivalent to other phones on the carrier.

Why would you pick the S6 over the Edge?
    The S6 edge seems a bit too hard to hold comfortably and securely.

One quick Q:
    how high is the volume when listening to audio via the headphone jack on the galaxy s6/s6 edge? In comparison to other phones like the htc one m8.

I'm wondering because last time I had a galaxy phone(the s3) the volume levels were quite low, when listening via the headphone jack.. And this was a serious bummer for me..
    It goes up higher than I'd want to listen to music in headphones, and my hearing isn't all that great.

Thanks for doing the qa!
    No problem!

Thanks for your time in answering everybody's questions.

Could you explain what the advantage is in disabling the installed apps as if they are still on the device, rather than completely uninstalled, aren't they still going to take up storage space.
    Disabling just gets them out of the app drawer and stops them from running. When the apps can't be uninstalled, disabling is the next best thing.

Also, do, you feel Samsung have made an error in using a glass back which is fairly fragile compared to the M9 back and seems prone to showing finger marks/scratches?
    I think so. Glass in general looks/feels nice and allows wireless charging, where metal does not, but I do think that the flat glass is harder to hold onto and is more prone to breaking than other common phone materials. It's a tradeoff, of course, but I'm not really a fan of it.

Is it possible to create a theme identical to stock Lollipop (material design) and use that on the S6?
    Technically it seems so, but we're not sure how open the store is for people to submit their own themes. Right now the theme store just has what Samsung's launching it with.

I read somewhere the App Drawer does not have an option to sort apps alphabetically. Any alphabetical sorting has to be done manually. The apps are ordered based on the order of download. I do not recall any Android phone without that capability. Is there an option to sort the app drawer alphabetically?
    It's a bit annoying — you can sort alphabetically, but it only does it that one time. Meaning if you hit the A-Z button to sort them, and then download a new app, the new app just gets put at the end of the app drawer rather than alphabetically in place, and you have to hit the sort button again. I really hope this changes.
    03-26-2015 03:28 PM
    Have you had the chance to use it outdoors yet, and how does viewing the screen hold up to both direct & in-direct light? Is the speaker any good? I have the M8 & really like not having to cup my hands around the back of a phone when playing any type of audio.

Thanks,
    David
    03-26-2015 03:43 PM
    Have you had the chance to use it outdoors yet, and how does viewing the screen hold up to both direct & in-direct light? Is the speaker any good? I have the M8 & really like not having to cup my hands around the back of a phone when playing any type of audio.

Thanks,
    David
    Screen looks good in bright sunlight (as well as it can, we're still dealing with a reflective glass screen), just like the Note 4.

I gave some impressions on the speaker in an earlier reply — it's not very good. The speaker is coming out the bottom of the phone rather than the back, though, so no cupping needed really.
    03-26-2015 03:47 PM
    How's the GPS?
    What's the average accuracy?
    How fast to first lock when cold? warm?
    Any issues with it dropping?

Any chance of doing a thorough review of the GPS?
    03-26-2015 03:55 PM
    How's the GPS?
    What's the average accuracy?
    How fast to first lock when cold? warm?
    Any issues with it dropping?

Any chance of doing a thorough review of the GPS?
    GPS seems to work just fine. I open apps that need my location, and it knows where I am. That's what's important.
    03-26-2015 03:57 PM
    do you think this phone will have the antenna issues the Note edge had?
    03-26-2015 04:04 PM
    Hey Andrew, thanks for doing this - it's really helping me get a feel for what to expect from the phones before dropping the cash for one (probly the S6).

Regarding the camera, have you had a chance to snap any pics closeup - i.e., macro mode? Also could you maybe take a few pics, with each shot with varying focal points, so we can see how it handles those? The two pics you posted with the rear cam previously looked fantastic. (I'm rocking the M7 and am desperately looking forward to a better camera on my next phone...)

Cheers!

Posted via the Android Central App - booyah.
    03-26-2015 04:07 PM
    Hi Andrew,

Do you know if the storage is treated as one and not separated as it is on some phones, for example, you have 64GB internal storage but when you go into storage settings you see that about 10-15GB is separated for apps (not used, like a separate partition) while the rest of the storage is seen as an "SD Card" and is for media, files etc. I hope I explained that well ?

From what I could tell from the 32GB S6 screenshot of the Storage settings it seems to be treated as one.

The reason I ask is because If it were separate we'd only have a small amount of memory for apps and the apps themselves would see the rest of the storage as an SD Card, which, as you probably know, don't get the best support all the time (the SD Cards, not the apps).

Thanks in advance.

Dusan K.
    DukeofPhone likes this.
    03-26-2015 04:19 PM
    do you think this phone will have the antenna issues the Note edge had?
    Wasn't aware the Note Edge had antenna problems... and not sure how the curved screen would relate to that. The two S6's seem identical to me in that respect.

Hey Andrew, thanks for doing this - it's really helping me get a feel for what to expect from the phones before dropping the cash for one (probly the S6).

Regarding the camera, have you had a chance to snap any pics closeup - i.e., macro mode? Also could you maybe take a few pics, with each shot with varying focal points, so we can see how it handles those? The two pics you posted with the rear cam previously looked fantastic. (I'm rocking the M7 and am desperately looking forward to a better camera on my next phone...)

Cheers!

Posted via the Android Central App - booyah.
    Here are a few pictures I put on G+ today: https://plus.google.com/+AndrewMarto...ts/jebGWvPLL7u

And here's a macro shot I just took.

I have a Galaxy S6 and S6 edge, you have questions — ask me!-2015-03-26-14.25.04.jpg

It seems to be able to get up pretty close. The "Pro" camera mode lets you tap to focus with a wider range of focal points and a narrower aperture (apparently) so it should give you more of that "professional" look, but I haven't had a chance to tinker with all of the settings yet.

Hi Andrew,

Do you know if the storage is treated as one and not separated as it is on some phones, for example, you have 64GB internal storage but when you go into storage settings you see that about 10-15GB is separated for apps (not used, like a separate partition) while the rest of the storage is seen as an "SD Card" and is for media, files etc. I hope I explained that well ?

From what I could tell from the 32GB S6 screenshot of the Storage settings it seems to be treated as one.

The reason I ask is because If it were separate we'd only have a small amount of memory for apps and the apps themselves would see the rest of the storage as an SD Card, which, as you probably know, don't get the best support all the time (the SD Cards, not the apps).

Thanks in advance.

Dusan K.
    It's all one partition, as has been the case on most phones for the last couple years.
    dusanzk, Ry, Daspoo and 2 others like this.
    03-26-2015 04:30 PM
    The photos Andrew has posted so far look great! I have avoided Samsung since their last truly great phone (Galaxy S2) and look forward to returning for the S6. After using Motorola, HTC, and Nexus phones for the past several years, I have been dying for a truly great phone camera that won't be embarrassing next to my wife's iPhone cameras.
    Daspoo and Andrew Martonik like this.
    03-26-2015 04:38 PM
    Please prove how "it's just a gimmicks like on the Note 4."

How about real information such as how you defeated the system, etc.? What testing methods were use? Tell me how I can duplicate your results.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Please PROVE you aren't a Samsung hater trolling legit questions.
    Settle down beavis. Geez.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Inders99 likes this.
    03-26-2015 05:54 PM
    Hey Andrew,

What is it like to type with the S6 edge while in landscape? Does the curve affect the keyboard?
    03-26-2015 05:55 PM
423 ... 56789 ...