I have a Galaxy S6 and S6 edge, you have questions — ask me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
2015-03-26 08.04.18.jpg

Well, well, what do we have here on my desk? It's a pair of seriously anticipated phones — the Galaxy S6 and S6 edge. Yup I have both devices in for review, and I'd love to talk about them with you while I go through their finer points on the blog and work on a full review.

For a little background, both phones are white, 32GB storage, T-Mobile models. While we've covered a ton about these phones and written an extensive hands-on preview, if you have any questions or inquiries about the phones, I'd love to chat about them still.

So let's get to it!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Wow, so many questions, so little time! :S
OK... which one feels 'better'? Does the curved screen really make it that much different or is it just (yet another) gimmick? Is the system snappy and responsive? How much free space is there in the 32GB model? (Head explodes with the rest of the questions).

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Andrew. One quick question, are there more than the 3 themes installed out of the box?

One more -- if it was your personal daily driver, which one would you choose?

Thanks

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
So jealous!
Does the edge have any color distortion on the bends? Particularly white Web pages, etc?

I wouldn't say "distortion", but just like the Note Edge you can definitely see differences in brightness and colors around the bend because the light is coming through the glass at a different angle. Hasn't been bothersome so far — we'll see what it's like with more use.

mmark27

May 14, 2010
Visit site
What is the actual charging current from the Qi wireless charger (from Samsung and/or from a 3rd party pad) that the phone sees? not what the charger is rated, but use an app to determine the charge the phone is seeing.

Nexthis

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
From the specs, it lists the edge as being lighter but with a bigger battery. Is this true? Do you find the extra features with the edge to be worth the extra cost or wait til the price drops?

Posted via the Android Central App

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Wow, so many questions, so little time! :S
OK... which one feels 'better'? Does the curved screen really make it that much different or is it just (yet another) gimmick?

Well considering there isn't a whole lot you do with the curve, it's hard to say either way. The S6 edge just acts like any other phone most of the time, and happens to do a few cool things with swipes on the curve when you're on the home screen. I'd say the fact that it does less makes it less of a gimmick, actually, because what it does do is actually useful — it's not trying too hard.

Is the system snappy and responsive? How much free space is there in the 32GB model? (Head explodes with the rest of the questions).

Seems responsive so far — particularly launching apps and using the Recents menu, which has often been an issue on Samsungs. A few apps have had some jitters, but can't put my foot down on that performance just yet.

23.5GB free on the 32GB model after signing into a Google account and going through setup. I installed all of my usual apps and knocked another 8GB or so off of that.

Thanks Andrew. One quick question, are there more than the 3 themes installed out of the box?

There are 3 themes, with another 10 or so in the store.

One more -- if it was your personal daily driver, which one would you choose?

Thanks

Too early to tell. Been leaning toward the regular GS6 since day 1 when i used it before MWC.

Last edited:

jeep_man

May 8, 2013
Visit site
How is the fingerprint sensor? How many fingerprints can it store? Does it actually work or is it just a gimmick like on the note?

Grapir

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Does it have the same battery life as the S5 with a real world usage?

Are the issue regarding no responsive edges of screen fixed?

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
What is the actual charging current from the Qi wireless charger (from Samsung and/or from a 3rd party pad) that the phone sees? not what the charger is rated, but use an app to determine the charge the phone is seeing.

I'll have to test. It seems to charge at a pretty standard rate via Qi compared to my other Qi phones.

How is the battery life compared to the HTC one m8 of last year?

I've had it 22 hours, with a good portion of that spent sleeping. Can't quite be determined yet ;)

5.0.2 or 5.1?

How is the fingerprint sensor? How many fingerprints can it store? Does it actually work or is it just a gimmick like on the note?

Fingerprint sensor is dramatically improved from the swipe versions on the S5 and Note 4. Software experience for it is about the same — register multiple fingers, use them for unlocking the phone and sign-in in the Samsung web browser.

Fingerprint setup is actually part of the phone's initial setup, so hopefully more people will use it this time around.

Does it have the same battery life as the S5 with a real world usage?

see above comment on battery life.

Are the issue regarding no responsive edges of screen fixed?

Was there ever an issue with that? Seems plenty responsive here.

rcgaryk

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Does the swipe in from the side quick contacts on the 6 edge work with another launcher such as Nova installed or only on Touchwiz?

UpTheDumper

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
Does the edge seem like it will take some abuse? Like a drop from your lap onto some bad asphalt from the car?

I'm worries that it's going to be worse then a used iPhone leaving glass shards in every finger.

Posted from the commode, thanks to Samsung Galaxy S5a.

FreeWillyZ

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Also for the future review can u address if you experience any difference if any between a snapdragon processor and the exynos processor use in the real world? thanks... cant wait for the full review

robertc88

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
How is memory management? How much is the system using and with apps opened how much is still free?

And bloatware? Is it kept to a minimum and what can be disable?

Thanks much!

pgm131

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
What bothered me about touchwiz was all the unnecessary things they threw in. The persistent notification when I was on WiFi. The fact that they wouldn't let me use the camera after the battery was down to a certain point. The pop-up when I turned my headphones too loud. These are the rgjbgs that always made me hate touchwiz. Are these still present and have you found anything new? Can you turn any of these off?

Status
Not open for further replies.