I have a Galaxy S6 and S6 edge, you have questions — ask me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Have you used the HTC One M9? Which one feels better to hold in the hand in terms of grip, comfortable use.
M9, S6 or the Edge?

Posted via the Android Central App

sdsubball23

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
How smooth is the up/down and left/right scrolling in webpages and apps? Is it as smooth as the iphone 6/6+ and nexus 6? Is the scrolling jittery or laggy at all?

Thanks for answering questions

sandra211

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I have Verizon Edge after S4, no issues in setup, I really like having edge handle messages, calls while being free to continue doing whatever I'm doing on the phone. Because I do mPoints daily & maxx-out, I have long list of apps that are only opened briefly for pts then closed. That jumps number of apps to easily 550 & it's still snappy phone. I was surprised that I can add lots of icons to edge screens, making need for icons on screens much lower. I'm enthused re Edge!

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for doing this, you guys rock!

thanks, we try ;)

Two questions:
If you're using it on T-Mobile, does the S6 / S6 Edge actually utilize their Band 12 LTE service? My Nexus 6 just got support in the 5.1 update and it's made a huge improvement indoors - would hate to lose that if I switched to the S6 Edge.

T-Mobile and Samsung aren't listing bands since the phone isn't actually available quite yet. Would be hard to believe it doesn't have Band 12.

For Looppay, I'm assuming that it's just coming in an update later this year? Does the Samsung Pay app work with NFC in its current state?

Samsung Pay hasn't launched as a product yet.

What about notifications? Does it have a variant of "active notifications" like on the moto x or droids?

Nope.

Say you're laying in bed watching a YouTube video on the S6 Edge, would the top edge of the video be slightly blocked out of view due to the curve?

It's not dramatic enough of a curve that makes anything "blocked out of view" when viewing the phone at a normal angle. You will, however, notice where the curves are. In a dark room its less noticeable because there isn't much light to wrap around it and distort, but you can tell that you're not looking at a flat screen, regardless.

Question about the notification center. Can you disable the brightness slider or the S Finder/Quick Connect buttons? How about the toggles? I saw that you have tickboxes, so I figured that if you were to un-tick them all maybe the toggles could disappear altogether?

Thanks!

The S Finder and Quick Connect are there, as is the brightness slider. You can't turn any of them off — but as we've seen in previous phones this is probably going to be determined by the carrier you get the phone from.

The shortcut toggles are there and you get 10 to choose from, which you can view 5 at a time with a swipe. There's no more "expand all" view to drop them down and see all 16.

sandra211

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I disagree re: not much to do with curve. I've added my most often used icons to Edge so little need on screens. Very different way of using phone. It's snappy fast with 32GB phone & 64GB SD card, large # apps.

Eloquence

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Hey Andrew

I don't think anyone has asked yet, but to me this question is important since Verizon won't be getting the Gold color: will a Verizon nano-SIM work in this phone? If so, does everything work as you'd expect it to? Can you just pop in an old (LTE) SIM from another phone and not have to go through calling Verizon Wireless Customer Service Reps (CSRs)?

This is a huge dealbreaker for me if I can't do this!

Thanks,
-Elo

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried Nova launcher with it yet and if so do the sides work with that?

I know you tried the Google launcher already and it failed.

If it fails for all launchers and we are forced to use TW launcher, this will probably end up falling flat as most people want to replace the native launcher.

Posted via Android Central App

sandra211

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
on what device do you say battery can't be removed? Edge has removable battery. I saw Verizon guy take it from box & put in phone. Amazon sells the batteries along with case for it.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Is it as good as the iPhone 6? /s

Sorry couldn't help it:)

Note 4

Har.

Why didn't they go ahead and put the USB-C connector? Would this be the last flagship phone with the legacy USB port?

Can't say as I obviously don't know Samsung's plans, but chances are the S6 was in development plenty long enough to not be considered as a USB-C device. And considering how much of a flop the USB 3.0 port on the S5 was, I wouldn't be surprised if they were taking it easy on switching connectors.

I have a feeling we're gonna see many more phones released with standard Micro USB.

I know you don't drive much but how easy is it to use in car mode? If you receive a text, how easy is it to respond only with voice? Definitely don't want it to be a distraction. Currently have a Moto X and this is one feature that is extremely important for me.

I'll have to punt on this one for now. We'll see if I can test later.

Could you do a little scratch test on the back with keys maybe?

I don't plan on it. It's glass, it'll scratch. Its far more valuable for me to find out how easily it scratches after normal use, not some "test" where I force it.

Sorry if this was already asked, but does the glass on the back get fingerprints super easily that are noticeable (I'm guessing the answer is going to be different depending on what color you have)?

It gets quite fingerprinty. It won't change based on the color you have, really — it's the same glass regardless.

My S6 edge gets hot while updating apps and sometimes while switching networks. Does this happen to you guys as well?

It gets warm like any other phone gets warm. The glass back will definitely transfer heat a bit more than a thick plastic one would, though.

Thanks for answering all the questions as others have said.

doing my best.

But I need to know this asap for sure. How does the screen handle a sunny day? Back when I had the S4 I had to have the screen at max brightness to see ANYTHING when it was sunny out.

Just like the Note 4 it's pretty darn nice outdoors. Sunny day today in Seattle, I plan on walking around a bit to test more.

Are you finding the camera hump annoying

No more annoying than the camera hump on previous Samsung phones :)

Have you used the HTC One M9? Which one feels better to hold in the hand in terms of grip, comfortable use.
M9, S6 or the Edge?

I've touched the M9 for a short period. The M9 is easier in the hand considering its curved back. The flat glass on the back of the S6 is just has hard to hold as it was on the Nexus 4, Sony's Xperia phones and the Xiaomi Mi Note... it's just not super hand-friendly. The S6 edge is definitely a bit tougher to hold considering the lack of metal on the sides.

How smooth is the up/down and left/right scrolling in webpages and apps? Is it as smooth as the iphone 6/6+ and nexus 6? Is the scrolling jittery or laggy at all?

Thanks for answering questions

Web pages in Chrome seem pretty good, and that's taking into consideration that Chrome just isn't all that fast on mobile as we all know. Apps are quick, though I've seen a couple funky slowdowns in Hangouts — but that app is just not the fastest.

Pdarnall

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
OK it's truth time. I am not limiting my challenge to Samsung, but the entire industry.

Please do side-by-side battery testing on the S6/E, Note 4/E, S5 and large iPhone. No messing around with other crap like TouchWiz bashing, speed this or that.

Why you ask? Because it doesnt matter if your device has a dead battery! Every phone, tablet, watch or gadget battery has either failed or started to fail after 12 to 18 months of service in my devices. Prove to me it's OK to not worry about replacing the battery in 12 to 18 months.

Moreovere, I don't care if it take two seconds to recharge. Lot of good that will do you when a charge last for one second. At some point you won't be able to remove the charging device. You now have what's known as a land line. You can buy one of those for next to nothing....

I bought two new Samsung Note 4 last October for about $1,800. You can bet I'm planning on replacing the batteries next October when they start going down hill.

Again, prove to me why I should not worry about the non-replaceable S6/E battery. Will these devices turn out to be poor choices once the battery starts to go?

Philip

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Does the camera support RAW or shutter speed control?

No RAW that I can see. The "Pro" mode in the camera has manual metering, exposure, iso and white balance, but not shutter speed.

I disagree re: not much to do with curve. I've added my most often used icons to Edge so little need on screens. Very different way of using phone. It's snappy fast with 32GB phone & 64GB SD card, large # apps.

The S6 edge doesn't have a dedicated "edge screen" to use as an app launcher, it's different than the Note Edge.

Since you can't pull the battery if the phone gets locked up, is there a way to do a hard reset if you need to?

Just like other phones w/o removable, there'll be a key combo to do so. Usually its ~15 second hold of the power button.

Hey Andrew

I don't think anyone has asked yet, but to me this question is important since Verizon won't be getting the Gold color: will a Verizon nano-SIM work in this phone? If so, does everything work as you'd expect it to? Can you just pop in an old (LTE) SIM from another phone and not have to go through calling Verizon Wireless Customer Service Reps (CSRs)?

This is a huge dealbreaker for me if I can't do this!

Well yeah the phones take a nano SIM, but that doesn't mean you can just put a Verizon SIM in a non-verizon phone and have it work. First off the phones are all carrier locked, so you'd need to unlock it first. Second of all there are different SKUs of the phones, of which Verizon has a specific one to work properly with its network. Just buy the phone from Verizon.

Have you tried Nova launcher with it yet and if so do the sides work with that?

I know you tried the Google launcher already and it failed.

If it fails for all launchers and we are forced to use TW launcher, this will probably end up falling flat as most people want to replace the native launcher.

Posted via Android Central App

It doesnt work with third-party launchers. its a feature tied to the TW launcher.

I'd argue that "most" people don't know what a third-party launcher is, but I get your point.

Looks like it was a bug when first running GNL. I switched launchers back and back again, rebooted and now the edge screen swipes are there with a third-party launcher. Good news!

ref: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...-you-have-questions-ask-me-6.html#post4307727

on what device do you say battery can't be removed? Edge has removable battery. I saw Verizon guy take it from box & put in phone. Amazon sells the batteries along with case for it.

This is the Galaxy S6 edge. Think you're getting confused with the Note Edge.

Can you force the time and/or notifications on the edge to be on all the time even when not charging?

The edge will only show that clock/notification screen for a set amount of time (its not tied to charging), you can't force it to be on 24 hours a day.

Last edited:

Tutsumi

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
The S Finder and Quick Connect are there, as is the brightness slider. You can't turn any of them off — but as we've seen in previous phones this is probably going to be determined by the carrier you get the phone from.

The shortcut toggles are there and you get 10 to choose from, which you can view 5 at a time with a swipe. There's no more "expand all" view to drop them down and see all 16.

If you drag down from the top and then click on EDIT, you get all the toggles.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking that the visibility of the fingerprints would differ depending on the color.

Get the point. The glass is raised up above the color a bit, so I don't think it'll matter. Having handled the different colors, they all picked up fingerprints pretty heavily.

Really important - let's say Jerry took a selfie with the new camera. Is the lens wide-angled enough to capture ALL of his beard?

Thanks.

Definitely. And no matter what, you can always use the "wide selfie" mode to get more in ;)

2015-03-26 10.18.15.jpg

Is it double tap or double press the home button to launch the camera?

Double press. Click, click. There's no functionality to just tapping the home button.

If you drag down from the top and then click on EDIT, you get all the toggles.

Right, but that's really meant to be used to edit the position of them. Hence the "edit" button :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton