I have a Galaxy S6 and S6 edge, you have questions — ask me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
One thing I have trouble finding out about is headphone output power. I am used to HTC phones having terrific headphone sound, and my GF's Galaxy Note 4 doesn't come close. How about this Galaxy S6?

Headphones sound good to me. But I'm not really much of a sound snob — maybe not the right person to ask.

I haven't attempted to encrypt in a while, maybe the Android password requirements themselves have changed, but when I last tried the complexity rules kept me from logging in quickly. Does the S6 fingerprint get you into an encrypted device?

Awesome Q&A!

Thanks!
Scott

Looking at the settings there don't seem to be any weird encryption rules.

This is a T-mobile specific question but is there an option for a toggle for wifi hotspot in the notification shade? This is usually present on international unlocked versions of galaxy phones but for some reason T-mobile always removes it...

Or if not is it easy to turn on wifi hotspot with some kind of shortcut? Or do you have to go through the T-mobile app (it has been a while since I was on a T-mobile branded phone and this feature is extremely important to me.

Tethering can be turned on quickly from the settings, but no it's not in the notification shade shortcuts and can't be added.

hows SD810 (like M9) vs Exynos 7420 performance does it overheat like SD 810 devices?

I think your first mistake is saying "does it overheat like SD 810 devices?" as a definitive statement.

I don't have an M9 in hand yet, but comparing to other phones performance seems just fine on the S6 thus far.

osolot729

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Can you comment on the camera speed/shutter speed indoors and lower light, the s5 took forever in lower lights shots to take and process the photo....

Coney718

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
OK it's truth time. I am not limiting my challenge to Samsung, but the entire industry.

Please do side-by-side battery testing on the S6/E, Note 4/E, S5 and large iPhone. No messing around with other crap like TouchWiz bashing, speed this or that.

Why you ask? Because it doesnt matter if your device has a dead battery! Every phone, tablet, watch or gadget battery has either failed or started to fail after 12 to 18 months of service in my devices. Prove to me it's OK to not worry about replacing the battery in 12 to 18 months.

Moreovere, I don't care if it take two seconds to recharge. Lot of good that will do you when a charge last for one second. At some point you won't be able to remove the charging device. You now have what's known as a land line. You can buy one of those for next to nothing....

I bought two new Samsung Note 4 last October for about $1,800. You can bet I'm planning on replacing the batteries next October when they start going down hill.

Again, prove to me why I should not worry about the non-replaceable S6/E battery. Will these devices turn out to be poor choices once the battery starts to go?

Philip

Posted via the Android Central App

Out of all the phones I've had (Androids, Blackberries and iPhones) I never ever had to get the battery replaced. And i kept a few of them over 2 years. What the heck are you putting these phones through?

jeep_man

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Is there any thing to prompt notifications? Led light ? Screen flash? And way to know if you have a new email of SMS others than a sound...like if it is on silent mode?

Pdarnall

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I doubt if 1 percent of users will change the launcher. What do you base "most people" comment on?
I work in retail and see thousands of people use their phones and NEVER notice anything but stock launchers.

flamingoezz

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm wondering about battery life in s6 vs s6 edge. It's odd that they included an extra 50mah in the edge.

Does there seem to be a discernible difference is lasting power between the two devices? Do you think any edge features will conserve battery life?

dak74

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
>>Double press. Click, click. There's no functionality to just tapping the home button.

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

I've never had a Samsung Galaxy phone, but having read some of the articles like "First Thing to do when getting new Galaxy S5" type articles, they all say it will improve the responsiveness of the home button by disabling the double press to launch S Voice (I think it was that app), and it should be the first thing you do.

The double press to launch camera seems genuinely useful (as opposed to S Voice) does it still mean that the home button has this pause while it waits for the second press?

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
1. When you do your full review can you take some pictures of moving objects instead of only the still object shots? I don't know if you have kids but, if not, can you borrow a toddler from someone and try to take some photos of him/her doing something like going down a slide and see if it can produce clear photos unlike other phones? :)

2. Have you noticed the Auto-HDR mode working or being effective?

3. Does the glass over the camera lens seem tough and scratch resistant? Do you know if it's sapphire glass?

4. When recording video, can you touch the screen to snap a photo? Is it a quality photo? How does the audio sound in the playback of the video (my nexus 5 produces distorted audio in busy environments).

5. How is Google Now incorporated? Does the Google launcher need to be installed to use Google Now? Does "OK, Google" work from anywhere in the OS as long as the screen is on?

6. Since the phone has fairly flat edges, can you stand it up on it's side on a desk when in landscape mode, or will a kickstand case be necessary to do this? I know this one is a longshot...

Last edited:

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
This is an awesome thread Andrew! I'm not super interested in either of the devices to buy, but I like to know as much as I can about all the flagships. I never know what might sway me to buy. I wish you guys did this Q&A with all flagships

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Internal of 174 though?

For the chip itself? Hard to say without having more technical details of the chip. IIRC Intel CPU's can go up to 90C before hitting thermal shutdown. I know, not a direct comparison, just saying.

There are almost certainly protections in place and if no on screen warning popped up I wouldn't worry about it personally. The battery temp is what was mentioned specifically, and 100F (~37.7C) is not terribly warm for a battery.

Pdarnall

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I live in the desert and see temp up to 125 degrees in the summer. The headliner in my car was damaged, one LG phone started to melted with the AC running and I crazed a pair of Rx glasses in my car. My BMW plastic transmission oil pan has warped three times at $800 per repair. No more BMW for my family!

My Note 8 battery didn't last 18 months. I replaced the battery last month and all is well for now.
My S4 needed topping off after 11 months.... The wife's iPhone needed constant recharging after about 13 months.
We have "Battery Anxiety!"

Attachments

• 2015-03-26 11.15.31.jpg
    2015-03-26 11.15.31.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 94

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Is there any thing to prompt notifications? Led light ? Screen flash? And way to know if you have a new email of SMS others than a sound...like if it is on silent mode?

Multicolor LED left of the sensors at the top of the phone.

on the t-mobile version... is VoLTE enabled? how is cellular reception?

I actually don't see any settings for turning on/off VoLTE... but I'd be shocked if it didn't have it considering the GS5 on T-Mo does. There is also Wifi calling of course.

Cellular reception and speeds seem just fine to me.

I'm wondering about battery life in s6 vs s6 edge. It's odd that they included an extra 50mah in the edge.

Does there seem to be a discernible difference is lasting power between the two devices? Do you think any edge features will conserve battery life?

The battery life is going to be nearly identical. The edge doesn't do much more than the regular S6 aside from the desk clock functionality, which uses a negligible amount of battery. 50mAh — aka 1.9% — more isn't going to be noticeable.

I've never had a Samsung Galaxy phone, but having read some of the articles like "First Thing to do when getting new Galaxy S5" type articles, they all say it will improve the responsiveness of the home button by disabling the double press to launch S Voice (I think it was that app), and it should be the first thing you do.

The double press to launch camera seems genuinely useful (as opposed to S Voice) does it still mean that the home button has this pause while it waits for the second press?

I haven't noticed the issue, actually, but theoretically it'll be the same as S Voice before — the phone has to know whether you're pressing twice for the camera or once for home. But considering that I haven't seen any unresponsiveness when pressing home they must be doing something right.

1. When you do your full review can you take some pictures of moving objects instead of all the still object shots? I don't know if you have kids but, if not, can you borrow a toddler from someone and try to take some photos of him/her doing something like going down a slide and see if it can produce clear photos unlike other phones? (I'm looking at you Nexus 5).

Not sure about "borrowing" a toddler, but I'll see what I can do :p

2. Have you noticed the Auto-HDR mode working or being effective?

I've only left it in Auto HDR so far, and just like the Note 4 it seems to choose properly most of the time. Need to do a lot more testing though.

3. Does the glass over the camera lense seem tough? Do you know if it's sapphire glass?

Seems tough to me — though I haven't ever had another phone with a scratched camera lens. I don't know either way on the sapphire glass question.

4. When recording video, can you touch the screen to snap a photo? Is it a quality photo? How does the audio sound in the playback of the video (my nexus 5 produces distorted audio in busy environments).

I have yet to do video testing just yet. But yes you can capture stills with a capture button during video recording. The images it captures seem to be full resolution, which is nice, but of course its just going to be an "Auto" mode picture with no extra tweaks.

5. How is Google Now incorporated? Does the Google launcher need to be installed to use Google Now? Does "OK, Google" work from anywhere in the OS as long as the screen is on?

Google Now is accessed with a long press of the home button, just like prior Samsung phones. You just need the Google app to have Google Now, which is pre-installed. Of course you can install the Google Now Laucher, too, if you want that as well.

Samsung has its own hot word detection with a customizable phrase. It'll launch S Voice at any time, even when the phone is turned off. As for Google Now hot word detection, yeah that'll work with GNL installed.

6. Since the phone has fairly flat edges, can you stand it up on it's side on a desk when in landscape mode, or will a kickstand case be necessary to do this?

Oh god please don't try to balance this on a desk in landscape mode.

Does it have a notification light?

Top left of the screen, next to the sensors on the front.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
OK it's truth time. I am not limiting my challenge to Samsung, but the entire industry.

Please do side-by-side battery testing on the S6/E, Note 4/E, S5 and large iPhone. No messing around with other crap like TouchWiz bashing, speed this or that.

Why you ask? Because it doesnt matter if your device has a dead battery! Every phone, tablet, watch or gadget battery has either failed or started to fail after 12 to 18 months of service in my devices. Prove to me it's OK to not worry about replacing the battery in 12 to 18 months.

Moreovere, I don't care if it take two seconds to recharge. Lot of good that will do you when a charge last for one second. At some point you won't be able to remove the charging device. You now have what's known as a land line. You can buy one of those for next to nothing....

I bought two new Samsung Note 4 last October for about $1,800. You can bet I'm planning on replacing the batteries next October when they start going down hill.

Again, prove to me why I should not worry about the non-replaceable S6/E battery. Will these devices turn out to be poor choices once the battery starts to go?

Philip

have u not read the 10 other responses that said he hasn't had it for 24 hours and it's too early to determine? and he has to "prove" something to you? here's an idea, if you want a removable battery, don't get the S6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc