I have a Galaxy S6 and S6 edge, you have questions — ask me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TPavey

May 23, 2014
Visit site
This sounds like the memory leak issue N5 users are experiencing is also in the latest phones as well....

I just looked at my m7 with 5.02 and it is only using 508 MB for system, much lower. That said, is it just possible that it keeps more cached since more is available on the s6? Are we sure it's an actual memory leak?

Cyprian Bergonia

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
This isn't open like the Note Edge was. You get what Samsung's put there, which is minimal and arguably useful, with no further expansion.

Samsung released details in their sdk on how to use the edge in the gs6 edge.
I can't post links, it's on an android central article on March 10. You can also Google galaxy s6 edge sdk.

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for doing this, you guys rock!

Two questions:
If you're using it on T-Mobile, does the S6 / S6 Edge actually utilize their Band 12 LTE service? My Nexus 6 just got support in the 5.1 update and it's made a huge improvement indoors - would hate to lose that if I switched to the S6 Edge.

For Looppay, I'm assuming that it's just coming in an update later this year? Does the Samsung Pay app work with NFC in its current state?

Confirmed with Des from Tmobile that it supports band 12.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible to see roughly how large (MB) an average picture is?

Looks like about 3MB to 7MB, depending on the scene and whether HDR is on. That's also shooting in 12MP 4:3, because 16:9 pictures suck :p. Expect the full 16MP 16:9 shots to be larger, of course.

i love these Q&A's, especially with this awesome phone.

thanks!

Fingerprint reader work pretty quick and everytime?

Seems to so far. Had one error where it said the fingerprint sensor wasn't working, but aside from that it's been good.

Smoothness wise, how does it compare with Nexus 6/Moto X, etc. Just with fluidity of swiping through and opening/closing apps.

Seems pretty smooth going through the interface and opening/switching apps so far.

Thanks for this post Andrew, and for answering my question :)

No problem.

Thanks for your previous answers Andrew! Looks like that new memory is definitely resulting in fast boot-up times!

Seems so.

Since you have two 6S phones, is Android Beam still supported and working reliably? Does it work with other Android phones as well (i.e. Nexus 6 or Nexus 5).

My wife and I use this feature pretty frequently!

NFC and Android Beam are right there. Not on by default, but simply toggled on.

If you had to just keep one regardless of price...which one? the S6 or S6 Edge?

S6.

I have a subjective first impression question that you may or may not be able to answer. How do you feel this compares to the other new flagships like the M9 and Flex 2? ie if you were handling them side by side in the store, what do you think you'd get?

In terms of hardware, the S6 feels up there with the M9 in terms of high-end feel and good looks. It's still very "Samsung" so that may hit you the wrong way, but there's nothing cheap feeling. The software experiences are drastically different between the three phones, though, and that's really going to be up to you which one feels right.

This sounds like the memory leak issue N5 users are experiencing is also in the latest phones as well....

Not sure how you can look at one anecdotal post of current RAM usage on a phone and determine there's a memory leak.

Note 4-level camera experience?

Seems so, but maybe with better indoor low light performance? More testing needed. It's the same sensor as the Note 4, so we're at least at that level.

Any word on the Gold Platinum or Emerald Green colors becoming available in the US, specifically for T-Mo?

Gold platinum not gold. Aren't they different colors?

There's just one gold color, and its available in the U.S. It's the bright blue and emerald green that are not in the U.S.

jonty15

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
Will the Galaxy S6 Edge gold option be available for T-mobile pre-order? I see only black and white listed.

Also, Will there be an option to buy unlocked S6 edge directly from Samsung similar to iphones?

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Samsung released details in their sdk on how to use the edge in the gs6 edge.
I can't post links, it's on an android central article on March 10. You can also Google galaxy s6 edge sdk.

Samsung updates Look SDK with Edge UX for Galaxy S6 edge | Android Central is what you're looking for.

Maybe I should've made my answer a bit more nuanced. There's no dedicated "edge screen" where developers can make panels or apps that sit there permanently and can be used separately. We've yet to see exactly what developers can do, but it doesn't look like a whole lot beyond make their apps do something interesting with the edge while they're open on the S6 edge.

can you control tracks from the edge when playing music?

Nope.

Will the Galaxy S6 Edge gold option be available for T-mobile pre-order? I see only black and white listed.

I don't know specifics on colors, sorry.

Also, Will there be an option to buy unlocked S6 edge directly from Samsung similar to iphones?

Right now, Samsung has no information on an unlocked U.S. model.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Hey Andrew -- Quick Question...

What carrier are you testing it on and does the radio seem to be the same (signal strength wise) compared to your other phones?

Tswfootball

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
One quick Q:
how high is the volume when listening to audio via the headphone jack on the galaxy s6/s6 edge? In comparison to other phones like the htc one m8.

I'm wondering because last time I had a galaxy phone(the s3) the volume levels were quite low, when listening via the headphone jack.. And this was a serious bummer for me..

droitwichgas

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your time in answering everybody's questions.

Could you explain what the advantage is in disabling the installed apps as if they are still on the device, rather than completely uninstalled, aren't they still going to take up storage space.

Also, do, you feel Samsung have made an error in using a glass back which is fairly fragile compared to the M9 back and seems prone to showing finger marks/scratches?

Status
Not open for further replies.