I have a Galaxy S6 and S6 edge, you have questions — ask me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
what is the maximum screen time of s6 edge on continues use of gaming facebook etc ??

Posted via note 3

I mean there's a bigger question about what else you have installed, what network you're on, your screen brightness and about 100 other factors that answer the question of battery life.

Does foxfi work?

This is a T-Mobile phone and they don't block tethering, so I have no need for foxfi.

Which display provides a more immersive experience? Just looking at the display which would you prefer to live with?

I mean, they're both 5.1-inch AMOLED displays, neither one can be very immersive. The screen curves away from you on the S6 edge, so I guess that hurts immersiveness, but in either case it doesn't make a huge difference. There are usability concerns on the curved display because it's a bit awkward to hold and sometimes interact with, so if you're at all worried I think the S6 and its "traditional" form factor is a safe bet.

I read the specs online about the S6 models. I noticed that there is no external memory card slot and that the battery is not removable. If this is true, Samsung is trying to turn their flagship phone into the next iPhone! :mad: The reasons I bought the Samsung models in the past was because there was an SD slot to expand the phones memory and a removable battery! I am an electronics technician, and being able to remove a battery to sever connection to the mother board is essential. One of the things I tell people having trouble with their electronic devices is this: turn it off and unplug the power source (power cord or battery), and leave it unplugged for about a minute before reconnecting and powering back on the device. This is the only way to get rid of the extra 1's & 0's that cause problems in all electronic devices. Has Apple bought Samsung or has Samsung lost its identity and trying to be like the popular kids

I think you're over-thinking this.

Last edited:

Rydsmith

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Having gone through the pages there is one question I don't see asked.

For the S6 Edge, are the actions of the frequent contacts customizable at all? For example and I swipe out, can I use a different messenger than the stock one (such as Textra or the Google Messenger). Can I use Hangouts at all on the slide out also or am I stuck with stock phone and stock messages?

Thank You.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Does the phone have 4k video capture in both 30fps and 60fps, or just 30fps?

You can do 3840x2160 UHD, 2560x1440 QHD, 1920x1080 FHD video. Only FHD has an option to select 60fps.

Also when you go with the high fps or high resolution, you lose HDR video, video effects, video stabilization, pictures while recording video and tracking AF.

Having gone through the pages there is one question I don't see asked.

For the S6 Edge, are the actions of the frequent contacts customizable at all? For example and I swipe out, can I use a different messenger than the stock one (such as Textra or the Google Messenger). Can I use Hangouts at all on the slide out also or am I stuck with stock phone and stock messages?

Thank You.

You get three options when you choose the contact on the S6 edge contacts picker — call, message, email. When you select one, you get the same kind of prompt to select which app to complete the action with as you would anywhere else in Android. For example you'll get to choose Hangouts for your SMS or GMail for your email.

gravage

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Andrew,

1) Is there a slow motion video option in the camera?

2) About how fast is burst mode compared to the S5 (same, faster, MUCH faster)?

3) If you take a short video in 1080p and then try to share it as an MMS, does it offer to compress it for you, or simply tell you it's too large?

Thanks!

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I mean, they're both 5.1-inch AMOLED displays, neither one can be very immersive. The screen curves away from you on the S6 edge, so I guess that hurts immersiveness, but in either case it doesn't make a huge difference. There are usability concerns on the curved display because it's a bit awkward to hold and sometimes interact with, so if you're at all worried I think the S6 and its "traditional" form factor is a safe bet.

If this is going to be my daily phone, is watching things like Play Movies/TV, Netflix, YouTube really that awkward that it's difficult to use? That's one thing I use my phone for. I pre-ordered the Edge, because it's different and so damn pretty, but I also don't want the aesthetics to get in the way of enjoying some of the things I like to enjoy on my phone.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Andrew,

1) Is there a slow motion video option in the camera?

yup slow motion is one of the camera modes.

2) About how fast is burst mode compared to the S5 (same, faster, MUCH faster)?

Burst mode seems pretty damn fast. I never found the S5's to be very slow though.

3) If you take a short video in 1080p and then try to share it as an MMS, does it offer to compress it for you, or simply tell you it's too large?

Thanks!

It offers to "resize" the video and then inserts it in the message.

2015-03-27 21.30.35.jpg2015-03-27 21.30.49.jpg

If this is going to be my daily phone, is watching things like Play Movies/TV, Netflix, YouTube really that awkward that it's difficult to use? That's one thing I use my phone for. I pre-ordered the Edge, because it's different and so damn pretty, but I also don't want the aesthetics to get in the way of enjoying some of the things I like to enjoy on my phone.

It's something that you notice when watching full-screen video, for sure. If you really do that much media watching on your phone daily, don't buy the edge, honestly.

Just to clarify, you lose the software video stabilization but hardware OIS still works, correct?

Correct. OIS is always there, you just don't get additional software stabilization.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
It's something that you notice when watching full-screen video, for sure. If you really do that much media watching on your phone daily, don't buy the edge, honestly.

I don't do a ton of media watching, but I do some. Most of it I stream via Chromecast, but I do casually watch some stuff. That's definitely making me rethink my purchase, however. Thanks for the input.

Rydsmith

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I hope you're still doing answers and I didn't think of this before, but how are the included earbuds?

I've heard rumor that they are Sennheiser's which would be just amazing if they are (as Sennheiser is know for their quality).

Thanks for staying connected and how much longer will you be answering questions for?

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I Andrew, I saw in the latest Android Central podcast, you mentioned that the Galaxy S6 wasn't as smooth and consistent as the HTC One M8 on lollipop. You think this could be due to a rogue app slowing the phone down or anything? Is the S6 as fast/smooth/lag free as the One M9?

You also mentioned that Alex Dobie had similar comments about lag?

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I hope you're still doing answers and I didn't think of this before, but how are the included earbuds?

I've heard rumor that they are Sennheiser's which would be just amazing if they are (as Sennheiser is know for their quality).

Thanks for staying connected and how much longer will you be answering questions for?

I gave them a whirl and they actually sound pretty good. Not nearly as good as my Samsung Level In headphones, but of course these are much cheaper. They're shaped pretty nicely but aren't snug in the ear so they don't give any kind of sound suppression, so that's probably worth noting. They do have a play/pause and volume control, as well as an in-line mic.

I Andrew, I saw in the latest Android Central podcast, you mentioned that the Galaxy S6 wasn't as smooth and consistent as the HTC One M8 on lollipop. You think this could be due to a rogue app slowing the phone down or anything? Is the S6 as fast/smooth/lag free as the One M9?

You also mentioned that Alex Dobie had similar comments about lag?

I'm not entirely sure what's causing it, but there are small bouts of lagginess on the S6 in my past two days. Everything will be super quick, then you'll see animation stutter or the keyboard flake for a second.

I went through and disabled a bunch of the pre-installed apps that I won't be using (as you suggest), and it seems like it may have helped, but I'm still pretty safe in saying that it isn't as smooth as Lollipop on the One M8 — but then again, no other phones are that smooth. (I also don't think that disabling bloat should be a requirement of getting a smooth phone.)

I haven't yet used an M9 long enough to make a comparison, but based on what Phil's saying about that phone I'm inclined to think that it's the same situation as the M8.

donutrev

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
When you tap to focus in the camera app, does it expose for the spot you tapped at the way iPhone, HTC, Nexus, etc do? None of my older Samsung phones offered tap-to-meter in the camera for some reason... Thanks!

John OB

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for answering all of the questions! Learning a lot about the phone. Maybe a odd question that most won't think of, but I'm also from Seattle (Bothell) and I'm a bit of a weather geek. The S4 had a barometer and thermometer sensor. Does the S6 include these? There are some great research apps (one from UW which is great) and you can help determine. weather forecasts. Thanks!

Posted via the Android Central App

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I gave them a whirl and they actually sound pretty good. Not nearly as good as my Samsung Level In headphones, but of course these are much cheaper. They're shaped pretty nicely but aren't snug in the ear so they don't give any kind of sound suppression, so that's probably worth noting. They do have a play/pause and volume control, as well as an in-line mic.

I'm not entirely sure what's causing it, but there are small bouts of lagginess on the S6 in my past two days. Everything will be super quick, then you'll see animation stutter or the keyboard flake for a second.

I went through and disabled a bunch of the pre-installed apps that I won't be using (as you suggest), and it seems like it may have helped, but I'm still pretty safe in saying that it isn't as smooth as Lollipop on the One M8 — but then again, no other phones are that smooth. (I also don't think that disabling bloat should be a requirement of getting a smooth phone.)

I haven't yet used an M9 long enough to make a comparison, but based on what Phil's saying about that phone I'm inclined to think that it's the same situation as the M8.

Andrew,

Do you have the pre-production model without the final software? Could that be the reason for the lag you are experiencing?

GWaLL13

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I hope this hasn't already been asked, but is the S6 compatible with the Gear Neo 2?

-via Android Central App on GWaLL's S5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12