I have a Galaxy S6 and S6 edge, you have questions — ask me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gravage

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
I just thought of another question and it may be the most important:

Does the GS6 lag when you tap on the photo preview from the camera or when you load the gallery directly? From the GS3 to the GS5 and all of the Notes, there was a HUGE delay when you tapped on the picture you just took or loaded the gallery for the first time. It was the most annoying thing ever.

TENYKS

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
View attachment 168199

Well, well, what do we have here on my desk? It's a pair of seriously anticipated phones — the Galaxy S6 and S6 edge. Yup I have both devices in for review, and I'd love to talk about them with you while I go through their finer points on the blog and work on a full review.

So let's get to it!

The phone that I use the most is the current Galaxy Note 4. I also carry two spare Samsung batteries. During a regular business day, I swap the batteries at least twice. (once just before lunch and again just before 5 pm) Granted, I use it for business and the apps require GPS(not for navigation) and a lot of math processing power.

One thing that I don't ever use is the Note 4's stylus. I have not pulled it out for at least 3 months. In fact, I almost forgot that it had one. Another thing is that I don't really need the 5.7-inch screen. I can use something with a smaller screen. The S6 is the latest Samsung phone and I wonder if it is a good fit for me. I know I can't do battery swaps... but I wonder how comfortable it will be to have a USB portable battery attached almost all day long?

Thanks!

AZbear

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Andrew, thanks for doing this. I know I can disable S-Voice and use Ok Google. If I do this can I use OK Google with the screen off?

Posted via the Android Central App

shuddle13

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Do you know if any manufacturers are planning making glass screen protectors for the Edge? I love them but can't imagine they're easy to manufacture.

Dell May

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
I'm very torn between buying the Note 4 and Galaxy S6. I love the idea of having more screen real estate with the Note 4 and think I would use the stylus. But I have worries about the Note 4's practicality (one-hand use after putting a case on, e.g.). After playing with the S6, can you share any insight into why the S6 or Note 4 may be a better choice?

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
When you tap to focus in the camera app, does it expose for the spot you tapped at the way iPhone, HTC, Nexus, etc do? None of my older Samsung phones offered tap-to-meter in the camera for some reason... Thanks!

In the auto mode it handles things on its own so you don't get to meter a specific point. If you switch to the "Pro" mode, you can choose the metering mode and have it meter on your focus point.

Thanks for answering all of the questions! Learning a lot about the phone. Maybe a odd question that most won't think of, but I'm also from Seattle (Bothell) and I'm a bit of a weather geek. The S4 had a barometer and thermometer sensor. Does the S6 include these? There are some great research apps (one from UW which is great) and you can help determine. weather forecasts. Thanks!

Think it has all of the same sensors as the last Galaxy phones.

Is the "Swype" keyboard available on the S6 or S6E ?

There's SwiftKey Flow swiping keyboard on by default with the stock keyboard. You can of course download another one of your choice that offers swiping too.

Andrew,

Do you have the pre-production model without the final software? Could that be the reason for the lag you are experiencing?

The phones are full-on production phones the same that people buying them from T-Mobile today have. That being said, I just got an OTA today. We'll see how that goes.

T-Mobile Galaxy S6 and S6 edge receive 177MB OTA with bug fixes, performance improvements | Android Central

I hope this hasn't already been asked, but is the S6 compatible with the Gear Neo 2?

-via Android Central App on GWaLL's S5

Yup.

I just thought of another question and it may be the most important:

Does the GS6 lag when you tap on the photo preview from the camera or when you load the gallery directly? From the GS3 to the GS5 and all of the Notes, there was a HUGE delay when you tapped on the picture you just took or loaded the gallery for the first time. It was the most annoying thing ever.

Samsung's working on that a bit. When you open the camera and take a picture, if you instantly tap the little preview to launch it, it'll be blurred out while the photo processes and loads, then come crisp when it's ready to view. It doesn't mean it's instantly available, of course, but now you don't get the feeling of lag. As for the Gallery app itself, it seems quick — though I haven't plugged any cloud accounts into it (the cause of lag for many people).

The phone that I use the most is the current Galaxy Note 4. I also carry two spare Samsung batteries. During a regular business day, I swap the batteries at least twice. (once just before lunch and again just before 5 pm) Granted, I use it for business and the apps require GPS(not for navigation) and a lot of math processing power.

One thing that I don't ever use is the Note 4's stylus. I have not pulled it out for at least 3 months. In fact, I almost forgot that it had one. Another thing is that I don't really need the 5.7-inch screen. I can use something with a smaller screen. The S6 is the latest Samsung phone and I wonder if it is a good fit for me. I know I can't do battery swaps... but I wonder how comfortable it will be to have a USB portable battery attached almost all day long?

Thanks!

This is not the phone for you. You will not be happy having a battery dangling off of this phone all day.

Hi Andrew, hope you are still answering and I'm not sure if this was asked before.

How loud and clear is the speaker(s), compared to the M8?

Speaker isn't great, to be honest. It comes out of the bottom of the phone instead of the back, which means it doesn't get muffled by the table or your hand, but the speaker still doesn't sound good. It's serviceable, but nowhere near the M8 or even the Moto X 2014.

Andrew, thanks for doing this. I know I can disable S-Voice and use Ok Google. If I do this can I use OK Google with the screen off?

Nope, OK Google with the Google Now Launcher will only let you wake it up when the screen is on or the phone is charging, just like any other phone.

Do you know if any manufacturers are planning making glass screen protectors for the Edge? I love them but can't imagine they're easy to manufacture.

I highly doubt that, and would be suspect of anyone who does. It's gonna be really hard to have one that works right on the S6 edge.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm very torn between buying the Note 4 and Galaxy S6. I love the idea of having more screen real estate with the Note 4 and think I would use the stylus. But I have worries about the Note 4's practicality (one-hand use after putting a case on, e.g.). After playing with the S6, can you share any insight into why the S6 or Note 4 may be a better choice?

If you're capable of handling the bigger screen on the Note 4 and like the idea of the extra room to view content and would maybe use the stylus, there's nothing wrong with the Note 4 at all. It doesn't have quite as nice of hardware as the S6 and the software is a version behind (surely to be updated later), but it's gonna have better battery life and of course the bigger screen.

I think the S6 is going to be a good choice for lots of people who want a smaller phone they can actually hold in one hand, and wouldn't ever need the bigger screen or the stylus on the Note 4 anyway. But they're giving up battery life and some of the extra big-screen features.

What is the difference between S5's and S6s camera

Different sensor, different lens, optical image stabilization. Different class of camera altogether. Expect better low-light performance, faster capture times and an overall better experience.

Maxi Payne

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Im curious about the trigger Command " hey galaxy " so i guess s voice Is the default voice command but could u disable it and use ok google as default ?

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for doing this Andrew, you were great on the podcast yesterday too.

Hilariously blunt and down to earth.

Hope you're on again

Darrkman

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I have a question about the messaging app that comes with the Samsung. How good is it compared to the Textra app? Can it handle group messaging *** well as Textra?

PS. If this question was asked already please point me in the right direction.

fjd726

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Andrew, In the podcast, you didn't sound like you were too impressed with either model in my opinion. Do you think this device has been over-hyped by several other outlets? I have an iphone 6 now but am intrigued by this new phone. Only thing I'm second guessing is TW.

juxt417

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
With Google now launcher I believe you said, don't know if that means all launchers will work. You would think it would. Can't wait to get this phone this past month has seemed like an eternity compared to the 2 years I've been waiting to upgrade

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for doing this Andrew, you were great on the podcast yesterday too.

Hilariously blunt and down to earth.

Hope you're on again

Appreciate it.

I have a question about the messaging app that comes with the Samsung. How good is it compared to the Textra app? Can it handle group messaging *** well as Textra?

PS. If this question was asked already please point me in the right direction.

Never used Textra before. As i mentioned earlier in the thread I use Hangouts for my Google Voice texting, so I hardly ever use built-in messaging apps either. FWIW the messaging app seems pretty good, but doesnt really have any advanced features.

Andrew, In the podcast, you didn't sound like you were too impressed with either model in my opinion. Do you think this device has been over-hyped by several other outlets? I have an iphone 6 now but am intrigued by this new phone. Only thing I'm second guessing is TW.

Yup, can't say I'm very blown away. I'm not entirely sure what other outlets are saying as I don't like to read coverage of a phone I'm reviewing, but everyone has their own opinions. It's clearly a good phone, and I think a lot of people will be happy with it... I'm just not sold that it's a breakhout amazing piece of phone. Really it comes down to the software as a sticking point... the hardware and camera are great.

from1 to 10 how you rate this?

Really don't like putting a single number on a product, as it really does a disservice to the different portions of a phone, particularly when you take into account that different features and components are more/less important to different people.

jexx

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Andrew-

Can you advise if the "Clean master" app is built into TouchWiz? If so, can it be uninstalled or at least disabled?

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Andrew-

Can you advise if the "Clean master" app is built into TouchWiz? If so, can it be uninstalled or at least disabled?

As we covered, the Clean Master stuff is part of a system-level utility that cannot be disabled or uninstalled.

http://www.androidcentral.com/some-samsungs-galaxy-s6-software-sends-mixed-message-about-performance

With the 1.9 aperture do you get any issues with the reduced depth of field?

The camera's only going to ratchet down to f/1.9 in super low light situations where it needs it. I haven't seen any "issues" there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol