I have a Galaxy S6 and S6 edge, you have questions — ask me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi!
Is the S6 better than Note 4 in daylight camera photos?
I think the N4's screen better suits me as I don't have a very good near sight vision, I have a little trouble sometime reading text on my M8's screen, do you think getting a S6 gonna help thanks to QHD or getting the N4 is still a better option?

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi!
Is the S6 better than Note 4 in daylight camera photos?
I think the N4's screen better suits me as I don't have a very good near sight vision, I have a little trouble sometime reading text on my M8's screen, do you think getting a S6 gonna help thanks to QHD or getting the N4 is still a better option?

The screens are identical in terms of quality and resolution... of course the Note 4's is just bigger.

In terms of camera, daylight performance is going to be very similar, if not identical.

slp15

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if anyone asked this question but does the S6 support Lollipop's feature of tap & go restore for setting up a new phone?

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
The screens are identical in terms of quality and resolution... of course the Note 4's is just bigger.

In terms of camera, daylight performance is going to be very similar, if not identical.

Thanks!
What about the audio quality and loudness with earphones (BT and wired)? Any differences with N4?

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if anyone asked this question but does the S6 support Lollipop's feature of tap & go restore for setting up a new phone?

Yup! Works just like on a Nexus w/ Lollipop.

Thanks!
What about the audio quality and loudness with earphones (BT and wired)? Any differences with N4?

Headphones seem fine. Haven't hooked up anything BT just yet.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Andrew,

I'm going to need some extra info or clarification about Clean Master.

I understand that it's built in and you can't remove it or disable it. But can you not use it? Is it going to annoy me with pop ups or tell me that my phone is running hot after I play a game?

I don't like the app at all and hate what it is doing to a friend of mine (he's so addicted to it. He uses it every hour on the hour). But I don't mind it if I can ignore it and if doesn't bother me with pesky notifications or pop ups.

Posted via Android Central App

docangle1

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I got to use both device for a day and my impression of the S6 Edge isn't good. The reason being if you spend a lot of time reading on your phone you will have to deal with shadowing on both edges and light refraction from strong room or natural lighting. Normally you can shift the angle of your device to compensate, but not on the Edge. Battery life isn't horrible but not great, if you are a power user you will not get a full day of usage.

Also, the Edge isn't that comfortable to hold, even using my Spigen case. It also has more of a polished edge like the Note 4 that is prone to scratching. The Standard S6 has a very small polished edge that will hold up better over time.

I am getting the normal TouchWiz delays once both devices had my apps loaded(approx. 60 apps.) I was a little let down by the new flash memory in this device, Google app updates are not any faster to install than the Note 4. Startup speed is a little faster, but most apps load about the same speed as the Note 4.

The Edge features are not worth the sacrafice of screen quality and usability. The glowing feature is cool and quick contacts access, but again if you use your device for reading you will not like the trade off.

The Standard S6 and Edge are surprisingly light, and the Standard S6 is very comfortable to hold and use one handed. The Edge I have is Black/Blue and the Standard is Pearl White. They are both finger print magnets, but the white model doesn't look so bad after usage.

I will probably keep the Standard S6, but really hoping battery life will improve with updates.

Cameras on both units are slightly better than the Note 4, in low light, but same quality in standard lighting.

Both units are TmobIle branded with the recently released update.

I have abut 2 hours left with the devices before I need to turn in the Edge model.

jexx

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Andrew,

I understand that it's built in and you can't remove it or disable it. But can you not use it? Is it going to annoy me with pop ups or tell me that my phone is running hot after I play a game?

I don't like the app at all and hate what it is doing to a friend of mine (he's so addicted to it. He uses it every hour on the hour). But I don't mind it if I can ignore it and if doesn't bother me with pesky notifications or pop ups.

I too, dislike this intrusive app and would like to know the answer to this question.... Play a game or just if the phone heats up a little, get notifications and/or pop ups?...If you can help with an answer, Thanks very much.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I got to use both device for a day and my impression of the S6 Edge isn't good. The reason being if you spend a lot of time reading on your phone you will have to deal with shadowing on both edges and light refraction from strong room or natural lighting. Normally you can shift the angle of your device to compensate, but not on the Edge. Battery life isn't horrible but not great, if you are a power user you will not get a full day of usage.

Also, the Edge isn't that comfortable to hold, even using my Spigen case. It also has more of a polished edge like the Note 4 that is prone to scratching. The Standard S6 has a very small polished edge that will hold up better over time.

I am getting the normal TouchWiz delays once both devices had my apps loaded(approx. 60 apps.) I was a little let down by the new flash memory in this device, Google app updates are not any faster to install than the Note 4. Startup speed is a little faster, but most apps load about the same speed as the Note 4.

The Edge features are not worth the sacrafice of screen quality and usability. The glowing feature is cool and quick contacts access, but again if you use your device for reading you will not like the trade off.

The Standard S6 and Edge are surprisingly light, and the Standard S6 is very comfortable to hold and use one handed. The Edge I have is Black/Blue and the Standard is Pearl White. They are both finger print magnets, but the white model doesn't look so bad after usage.

I will probably keep the Standard S6, but really hoping battery life will improve with updates.

Cameras on both units are slightly better than the Note 4, in low light, but same quality in standard lighting.

Both units are TmobIle branded with the recently released update.

I have abut 2 hours left with the devices before I need to turn in the Edge model.
I noticed a slight issue on the edges with light reflecting when reading on the display model at Best Buy, but it didn't seem like a deal breaker at all to me. It was the best looking phone I'd ever seen and I can't wait to get it.

I guess this is why it's good we have options!

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Andrew,

I preordered the 64GB black sapphire GS6 on AT&T. Two questions.

1) I am a klutz sometimes and plan on using a rugged case. The Defender or Lifeproof Frė. Will these cases impede the functionality of the NFC/MST and wireless charging?

2) Of all the US carriers, why is it possible for TMO to leap frog carriers like AT&T in releasing the GS6 and the Edge?

Thanks very much for your time and attention.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I noticed a slight issue on the edges with light reflecting when reading on the display model at Best Buy, but it didn't seem like a deal breaker at all to me. It was the best looking phone I'd ever seen and I can't wait to get it.

I wonder if the light refraction is something a person would get used to over time, or if it would become more annoying with time?

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if the light refraction is something a person would get used to over time, or if it would become more annoying with time?
I only noticed it in landscape mode when watching a video. And it wasn't a huge deal. It was otherwise just a beautiful piece of tech. I don't have any regrets after playing with one other than not splurging for the 128gb.

Also, the guy let us use one right out of the box. So we got full use. No security lock or anything. Let us use the focus tracking on the camera, which worked fairly well, by the way.

docangle1

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

The issue with testing phones at Best Buy is they always have the phones on full brightness and plugged in. I have used the phone in multiple lighting conditions, and when using full brightness and auto. The shadowing tends to happen in low light and medium or lower brightness settings. The refraction issue happens predominantly with CFL lighting in a work environment. It is present, the question will be if it bothers you or not, for me it ruins what otherwise is the best display quality on a phone.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I only noticed it in landscape mode when watching a video. And it wasn't a huge deal. It was otherwise just a beautiful piece of tech. I don't have any regrets after playing with one other than not splurging for the 128gb.

Also, the guy let us use one right out of the box. So we got full use. No security lock or anything. Let us use the focus tracking on the camera, which worked fairly well, by the way.

I've got a 128GB iPhone, and I don't regret splurging on it at all. I have 75 apps, almost all the photos I have and my entire music library installed and still have 12 or 13GB free.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Andrew,

I too, dislike this intrusive app and would like to know the answer to this question.... Play a game or just if the phone heats up a little, get notifications and/or pop ups?...If you can help with an answer, Thanks very much.

I haven't gotten any pop-ups or warnings from the Smart Manager (that's the utility) yet. So far it's been fine to just ignore the icon in the app drawer and not use it.

Are the finger hover and air gesture features still working on the S6? Can we still use the screen with a glove on?

There are a few gestures available like turning the phone over to mute it, swiping your hand across the screen for a screenshot, and picking up the phone to your ear to make/answer calls. There's no additional hover options.

As far as gloves, I don't see the standard "increase touch sensitivity" option that's on the Note 4 and Galaxy S5... but I'm still able to use the phone through cloth. Maybe they just turned that high-sensitivity mode on all the time?

docangle1

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
He mentioned early that charging is pretty fast, but battery life isn't that great.

Phone has Quick Charging, but Wireless charging is slow(it seems to initially charge quickly) and the phone gets quite warm when charming from my Nokia Wireless Charger.

Battery life is just okay, I would say the same as a Motorola X , not close to the Note 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer