I have a Galaxy S6 and S6 edge, you have questions — ask me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for answering my previous question. Had another quick one: does the fingerprint scanner work for Play Store purchases (or anything else besides unlocking the phone/PayPal for that matter)?

Nope, that'd require Google partnering up with Samsung for that authentication. The fingerprint scanner can be used to unlock the phone, to authenticate you in PayPal, to authenticate you in the Samsung Apps store, and to sign you in to many websites if you use the stock browser.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Nope, that'd require Google partnering up with Samsung for that authentication. The fingerprint scanner can be used to unlock the phone, to authenticate you in PayPal, to authenticate you in the Samsung Apps store, and to sign you in to many websites if you use the stock browser.

Hmm hopefully Google will provide an api of some sort so that fingerprint scanners on phones can hook into it, since by end of this year or early next year more android phone will probably have the fingerprint scanner.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I am very interested in the S6 Edge , but when I went to Best Buy to get a feel for both the Edge and regular S6, I felt that the edges of the S6 Edge were too sharp and uncomfortable to hold vs the regular one being very comfortable.

My question is, has anyone put a slim case on an Edge to see if it makes it feel easier and more comfortable to hold?

Posted via Android Central App

Daspoo

May 27, 2013
Visit site

For those that have experience with Samsung smartphones, how is the browser? Just curious since I always seem to find my way back to Chrome vs. the manufacturer's browser.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Hmm hopefully Google will provide an api of some sort so that fingerprint scanners on phones can hook into it, since by end of this year or early next year more android phone will probably have the fingerprint scanner.

I would hope so. I mean currently Samsung has its APIs available for developers to have fingerprint scanning available to third-party apps... Google would just need to hook into that. Kind of how many of Google's apps have the proper hooks to work with Samsung's Multi Window feature.

Hi,

I am very interested in the S6 Edge , but when I went to Best Buy to get a feel for both the Edge and regular S6, I felt that the edges of the S6 Edge were too sharp and uncomfortable to hold vs the regular one being very comfortable.

My question is, has anyone put a slim case on an Edge to see if it makes it feel easier and more comfortable to hold?

I used it briefly with a case on it, but I don't think it at all helps with the sharp edges. Because of the design, the cases themselves can't really cover anything on the sides... all they do is grip the top and bottom of the phone then cover the back. Still plenty of sharp edges.

For those that have experience with Samsung smartphones, how is the browser? Just curious since I always seem to find my way back to Chrome vs. the manufacturer's browser.

The Samsung browser is decent. It's fast and it works just fine... it just isn't very good looking and of course doesn't have all of the Google Account sync that Chrome does.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I would hope so. I mean currently Samsung has its APIs available for developers to have fingerprint scanning available to third-party apps... Google would just need to hook into that. Kind of how many of Google's apps have the proper hooks to work with Samsung's Multi Window feature.

I used it briefly with a case on it, but I don't think it at all helps with the sharp edges. Because of the design, the cases themselves can't really cover anything on the sides... all they do is grip the top and bottom of the phone then cover the back. Still plenty of sharp edges.

The Samsung browser is decent. It's fast and it works just fine... it just isn't very good looking and of course doesn't have all of the Google Account sync that Chrome does.

Thanks Andrew! I really appreciate you taking the time to listen to us and answer some questions.

I think that seals the deal then, regular S6 for me. Now to pick a color...

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Just curious as to why you don't like 16:9 pics? And thanks for building this Q&A.

I prefer 16:9 pics for on device viewing personally because the photos don't get cropped. I can see for sharing why 16:9 might not be the best option though.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I take more portrait shots than landscape. 16:9 in portrait mode looks silly. I'd rather take landscape shots in 4:3 and crop them later if I want a widescreen look. 12mp 4:3 saves me 1-2mb in file size.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Just curious as to why you don't like 16:9 pics? And thanks for building this Q&A.

Most high-end camera sensors are natively 4:3 or 3:2 aspect ratio, so I'm used to it. I think that 16:9 looks very odd and really wide, and it just doesn't do justice to the frame you're shooting often.

Aegrum

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
Hey Andrew! Thanks for taking the time to answer the questions so far. With the S6 having Qi charging, does the Qi sensor have magnets in it like the Nexus 5 (and Nexus Qi charger) did? I ask because I have an AirDock, and am hoping it'll stay put through magnetism.

bjs188

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I heard from a Samsung Employee that the emerald green and the blue won't come to US until August. BUMMER! I would take either of those two in a heart beat.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Hey, Andrew. I also live in the Seattle area and currently use AT&T with my HTC One and am very happy with my LTE service. Do you think I should get the same signal strength and LTE service with the Galaxy S6 as with my HTC? I'm just a little concerned, since I haven't owned a Samsung phone in 5 years or so and I don't know if the radios are different, etc. that could affect service. Thanks!

bjs188

May 29, 2010
Visit site
So based on the way you tested and with light to medium use (but little to no gaming/benchmarking), my m8 can get 30 to 40 hours with the same screen on time. I get more screen on time when gaming then you are with light to medium use.

I'm perplexed.

no way does an M8 get 30-40 hrs per charge. I call BS on that.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Is there a double tap to wake feature on the GS6 and GS6 Edge? Does it use the home button?

No need for any kind of tap to wake features... just press the home button and the screen comes on.

Hey Andrew! Thanks for taking the time to answer the questions so far. With the S6 having Qi charging, does the Qi sensor have magnets in it like the Nexus 5 (and Nexus Qi charger) did? I ask because I have an AirDock, and am hoping it'll stay put through magnetism.

No magnets. The phone actually slides around off of chargers pretty easily, too... It's a total no-go on my Nokia DT910, and even Samsung's new Qi charger has a tough time holding onto it. It's like the Nexus 4 all over again ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1Azi87jhVA

Hey, Andrew. I also live in the Seattle area and currently use AT&T with my HTC One and am very happy with my LTE service. Do you think I should get the same signal strength and LTE service with the Galaxy S6 as with my HTC? I'm just a little concerned, since I haven't owned a Samsung phone in 5 years or so and I don't know if the radios are different, etc. that could affect service. Thanks!

I don't think you'll have any signal issues between the GS6 and any other modern phone.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if you've answered this before, you can ignore it if you have: If you had to buy one, would you get the S6 or the S6 Edge? Do you feel the Edge is a compelling enough difference (either by looks, feel or function) to get it over the standard S6?

Status
Not open for further replies.