I have a Galaxy S6 and S6 edge, you have questions — ask me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ca_steve

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi Andrew - thanks for the extended Q&A!

When you do have a chance to get in a car, check out the power usage with the display on (daytime) and Google Map's turn-by-turn directions on. I found with the S4 the charger could not keep up with the battery drain. I had to let the display turn off in order to not drain the battery on longer trips. Hopefully, this is resolved on the S6.

speed13

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi Andrew - thanks for the extended Q&A!

When you do have a chance to get in a car, check out the power usage with the display on (daytime) and Google Map's turn-by-turn directions on. I found with the S4 the charger could not keep up with the battery drain. I had to let the display turn off in order to not drain the battery on longer trips. Hopefully, this is resolved on the S6.
Get Anker fast charger and you won't have that issue

2423dbee2eb8e4560193d2ca81e492c8.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1427833371013.jpg

copywrite

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I read through the thread and didn't see this asked, but sorry if i missed it. Can you comment on the earpiece volume while in calls. How loud is it in relation to your previous phones? Thanks for your time!

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Out of all the phones I've had (Androids, Blackberries and iPhones) I never ever had to get the battery replaced. And i kept a few of them over 2 years. What the heck are you putting these phones through?

There has been video and articles indicating the batteries can be replaced. It is just not as easy as popping off a removable back and sliding in a different battery.

ca_steve

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Get Anker fast charger and you won't have that issue
Qualcomm's list of Quick Charge 2.0 phones doesn't include the SGS4...and this Anker charger isn't on their approved list either. :) I'd post a link to the relevant Qualcomm page, but I don't have my 10 posts in...

speed13

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Qualcomm's list of Quick Charge 2.0 phones doesn't include the SGS4...and this Anker charger isn't on their approved list either. :) I'd post a link to the relevant Qualcomm page, but I don't have my 10 posts in...
It worked well for my Galaxy s4 never had issues

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
no way does an M8 get 30-40 hrs per charge. I call BS on that.
Just sold my M8 to get the edge. I am not a power user or gamer, but just an average user...GPS, wifi, LTE..few pictures a,d web browsing, email, texting and I will tell you that I only had to charge my phone every other day. Turned it of at night...but still only had to plug it in every other night. So I easily got 24+ hours all the time.

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
First of all, thanks so much for this thread! And I apologize if you already answered this and I overlooked it.
I just preordered the s6 edge from verizon and I am immediately thinking I made the wrong decision and should have gotten the s6 instead. Here is why. I am the clumsiest person in the world and I drop my phone A LOT. I currently have the s4 with a rhino shield which has saved me. I emailed rhino shield and they said they are working on one for the s6 but not for the edge in the near future. The screen protector options for the s6 edge as of now are not looking good. I have until the 17th to cancel my order so I was wondering what you think about the screen on the edge. There are conflicting drop test videos all over the place and I know I'm going to need a great protector. TL;DR Do you feel like the edges are prone to cracks? Does the way it sits in your hand make it more susceptible to drops?

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
First of all, thanks so much for this thread! And I apologize if you already answered this and I overlooked it.
I just preordered the s6 edge from verizon and I am immediately thinking I made the wrong decision and should have gotten the s6 instead. Here is why. I am the clumsiest person in the world and I drop my phone A LOT. I currently have the s4 with a rhino shield which has saved me. I emailed rhino shield and they said they are working on one for the s6 but not for the edge in the near future. The screen protector options for the s6 edge as of now are not looking good. I have until the 17th to cancel my order so I was wondering what you think about the screen on the edge. There are conflicting drop test videos all over the place and I know I'm going to need a great protector. TL;DR Do you feel like the edges are prone to cracks? Does the way it sits in your hand make it more susceptible to drops?

The things that you just stated was my reason to not get the edge.

jojen

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
How's the music player? I love the Walkman app the Xperia phones have, it's in my opinion the best built in music player of any android brand. Is it comparable?

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site

I think I can give you a good answer. I'm NOT a phone dropper, but my wife and her family (all on the same family plan) are constant phone droppers. I basically didn't even give them the option of getting the Edge when telling them about which phone to upgrade to. It doesn't matter which case you have on the Edge, if the phone lands on an uneven surface with the face down, it is going to hit the screen. If it lands on a flat surface, you'll be fine as there is a bezel covering everything, but if it hits the side of a stair or something, you're in trouble. I would not risk it unless you're really in love with the Edge version and you have insurance.

Get the regular S6. S6 edge users will be lucky if they survive a few drops on a rough surface throughout it's life. If dropping the phone is a regular thing, you'd be silly to get the Edge.

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
I think I can give you a good answer. I'm NOT a phone dropper, but my wife and her family (all on the same family plan) are constant phone droppers. I basically didn't even give them the option of getting the Edge when telling them about which phone to upgrade to. It doesn't matter which case you have on the Edge, if the phone lands on an uneven surface with the face down, it is going to hit the screen. If it lands on a flat surface, you'll be fine as there is a bezel covering everything, but if it hits the side of a stair or something, you're in trouble. I would not risk it unless you're really in love with the Edge version and you have insurance.

Get the regular S6. S6 edge users will be lucky if they survive a few drops on a rough surface throughout it's life. If dropping the phone is a regular thing, you'd be silly to get the Edge.

Thanks! You have been really helpful. I canceled my pre-order for the edge and ordered the s6 instead!

aallison1882

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

I think the most concerning thing when watching the drops video was the phone failed to turn on (or the display itself stopped working) when the front glass cracked. I know accidents happen but I need to know if one does that my phone will continue to work until I can get it replaced.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I think the most concerning thing when watching the drops video was the phone failed to turn on (or the display itself stopped working) when the front glass cracked. I know accidents happen but I need to know if one does that my phone will continue to work until I can get it replaced.

That's the difference between the internals of the screen breaking and the glass breaking. Usually the glass just breaks, but some times the actual digitizer or other parts of the screen can break internally. My wife dropped her S3 on the stairs and it looked fine, but the internals on the screen broke. Not much you can do about that.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
For Andrew if you're still taking questions...can you post what your cell standby % is? It seems like you were reporting worse battery life than pretty much every other review site and also the users that have their phones now seem to be getting similar battery life as you. It's sounding like the common denominator might be TMobile.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I got to use both device for a day and my impression of the S6 Edge isn't good. The reason being if you spend a lot of time reading on your phone you will have to deal with shadowing on both edges and light refraction from strong room or natural lighting. Normally you can shift the angle of your device to compensate, but not on the Edge. Battery life isn't horrible but not great, if you are a power user you will not get a full day of usage.

Also, the Edge isn't that comfortable to hold, even using my Spigen case. It also has more of a polished edge like the Note 4 that is prone to scratching. The Standard S6 has a very small polished edge that will hold up better over time.

I am getting the normal TouchWiz delays once both devices had my apps loaded(approx. 60 apps.) I was a little let down by the new flash memory in this device, Google app updates are not any faster to install than the Note 4. Startup speed is a little faster, but most apps load about the same speed as the Note 4.

The Edge features are not worth the sacrafice of screen quality and usability. The glowing feature is cool and quick contacts access, but again if you use your device for reading you will not like the trade off.

The Standard S6 and Edge are surprisingly light, and the Standard S6 is very comfortable to hold and use one handed. The Edge I have is Black/Blue and the Standard is Pearl White. They are both finger print magnets, but the white model doesn't look so bad after usage.

I will probably keep the Standard S6, but really hoping battery life will improve with updates.

Cameras on both units are slightly better than the Note 4, in low light, but same quality in standard lighting.

Both units are TmobIle branded with the recently released update.

I have abut 2 hours left with the devices before I need to turn in the Edge model.

This post seemed to be logical and similar to what I use my phone for.
This post convinced me to forego the sexines of the Edge and get the S6.
Thanks to Andrew for this thread and his time. And to docangle for this post.

aallison1882

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
That's the difference between the internals of the screen breaking and the glass breaking. Usually the glass just breaks, but some times the actual digitizer or other parts of the screen can break internally. My wife dropped her S3 on the stairs and it looked fine, but the internals on the screen broke. Not much you can do about that.

Yup. Between my wife and me we've shattered two phones' glass and both were still usable. One was a HTC droid DNA and the other amazingly was a Blackberry Storm, even with the sure press.

My point is that all 3 videos I've watched, the S6 broke internally at the screen when the glass shattered. That to me is concerning as most phones I've seen only shatter at the glass and can still be used until it can be fixed. Accidents happen but seems the S6 is a touch more fragile than other phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12