Samsung Galaxy S6 How many GBs will you get?

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Re: How many GBs will you get?

What if I decide to make a few 4k videos? Save a few HD movies for flights, etc? Store a bunch of music? I don't have an unlimited data plan so the cloud option, although I will back everything up on a few cloud services, won't be as valuable to me as far as storage is concerned. It's another $100. I a hundred bucks kills me, I shouldn't be buying a phone right? I would rather have it and not need it......

Posted via the Android Central App

Do you actually make videos or are even interested in making 4k videos? Isn't there a 5 minute limit to recording on the s6?

Sounds like bunch of random usage cases you made up to justify your choice.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

Do you actually make videos or are even interested in making 4k videos? Isn't there a 5 minute limit to recording on the s6?

Sounds like bunch of random usage cases you made up to justify your choice.

I'm not speaking for him, but...

Let's just say is Christmas and you take 6 5min 4k videos, and 20 pictures. That equals about 8gb on your phone.
That's about a 3rd of your available storage on a 32gb model.

Posted via Android Central App

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site

I'm not speaking for him, but...

Let's just say is Christmas and you take 6 5min 4k videos, and 20 pictures. That equals about 8gb on your phone.
That's about a 3rd of your available storage on a 32gb model.

Thank you. I don't see why I have to justify MY choice anyway. Lol

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

Some reference

a song, 3-15mb
a 90 min movie, at 600kpbs, 800 MB
a "HD" movie, 1.5-3g
homm3, 1g
map for the whole US, 4g
whole offline Wikipedia, 40g

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

Some reference

a song, 3-15mb
a 90 min movie, at 600kpbs, 800 MB
a "HD" movie, 1.5-3g
homm3, 1g
map for the whole US, 4g
whole offline Wikipedia, 40g

When you say a song, is that an mp3? because that doesn't sound like the size of a FLAC.

beatsandlife

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site

I usually transfer my pics and stuff. Also, I tend to delete apps that I no longer use.

Decided to go with 32

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

I was thinking 64 GB, but with the size of some of the games out there, and the possibility of wanting to use the GearVR device, I figured 128 GB would be playing it safer.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Thank you. I don't see why I have to justify MY choice anyway. Lol

No one is asking you to justify your choice and that is what it is. You have the disposable and preference for that much storage. I think or suppose that the question of using all that space and the associated incremental price increase. I have a GS4 with a 64 GB card which is nowhere near full. Improbably would have gotten the 32GB but with two gift cards and reselling my phone, I was able to choose the 64 GB option, to your point, if I need it's there.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

I was thinking 64 GB, but with the size of some of the games out there, and the possibility of wanting to use the GearVR device, I figured 128 GB would be playing it safer.

Too old for games on a smartphone. My son uses the xBox One for gaming which I think is the appropriate place for gaming. But, that's me showing my age.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Even with a 64 GB and traveling for business or pleasure, several movies should get me through most flights, airport waits and roadtrips with my family. With unlimited data, I can remove and download other movies if I get bored.

GentooHTF

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site

I went with 64 GB. I've never been able to store all my apps, music, and pictures on my phone. I'm interested in seeing if I can really make use of it. I also want bragging rights over most of my iPhone friends. :)

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site

I went with 32gb. With unlimited data I am not worried about streaming stuff, and for the rare time I'm out of signal I keep about 5 to 10gb of music on my phone. My photos all immediately go to both g+ and onedrive so don't need much storage for that, and I'm not much for gaming on my cell phone other than the occasional game of bejeweled or something like that. (I love gaming on PCs or consoles, just not on small screens.) And, if I am out of range and not in the mood for music then I would be more likely to read than watch videos so of course storage is really no issue there.

I've had a mix of 32gb and 64gb phones for my last 3 or 4 phones and never even used 32gb fully so at this point am pretty confident in my decision.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

Even with a 64 GB and traveling for business or pleasure, several movies should get me through most flights, airport waits and roadtrips with my family. With unlimited data, I can remove and download other movies if I get bored.

I figure if I'm gonna watch movies on a flight, I'm going to do it on my Galaxy Tab S instead. And games may end up on my Jide Remix (Tegra 4 after all). Still, the one device I'm always going to be carrying is the phone...

Juliann826

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site

I looked at 3 different 32GB phones at Best Buy, all only had 14GB left, (not the 23.5GB that reviews are saying). I'm wondering why that is, 23 vs 14 is huge. I'm now looking at the 64GB after running into this.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

I figure if I'm gonna watch movies on a flight, I'm going to do it on my Galaxy Tab S instead. And games may end up on my Jide Remix (Tegra 4 after all). Still, the one device I'm always going to be carrying is the phone...

That's the great thing about these forums. Different strokes for different folks. I have typically taken a tab on a flight but now I use Google Music to listen to at work.

Good for you. Got my GS6 coming and the Predators clinch a playoff spot.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power