Hands-on experiences at brick and mortar stores--reader thoughts (S6/S6E preference)?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
If you've gotten a chance to get some hands-on time with the S6 and/or S6E, I'm interested in hearing what reader thoughts are on the two new phones. I'm leaning towards the S6E, but its cost bump and in-hand feel are leaving me somewhat undecided. Cost isn't that big of an issue and I'm hoping that a slim case will help with the "sharpness" of the edge and still keep the phone slim.

Honestly, the GS6 felt better in the hand than the Edge. The edge bezels had a definite edge feeling to them not knife edge sharp but enough to notice. Maybe i am too used to devices like the GS6 but the Edge had less of a solid premium feel to it. Ended up getting the AT&T 64GB black sapphire GS6 at Best Buy which comes with a free wireless charger and $50 gift card. Used to order at AT&T corporate stores or through their online process. After ordering my sons phone last year and now the GS6, Best Buy is the way to go.

tronandy_hi

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I've handled them. Where's the SD slot? Oh, there is none. How do you get the battery out? Oh, you don't.

No thanks. If they give me one free I'll put it on Swappa, but I wouldn't even waste time opening the box. And if that's the "next big thing" with Samsung - no SD card and no replaceable battery - I'll keep my current phone until there are some Project Ara phones available, or someone else comes out with a usable phone. (How do you reboot a hard-bricked phone without an external SD card? Oh, you don't, you just buy a new one. Not me.)

I could never understand people who go onto a thread and post a negative on something that they are not getting. Why? I don't care about your reasons on why you are not getting it especially since the thread is not asking that. I am here to read about peoples hands-on experience on the S6 or S6 Edge. Not someone who had no attention in buying one.

I will have to check with Best Buy this weekend to see the S6!

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I could never understand people who go onto a thread and post a negative on something that they are not getting. Why? I don't care about your reasons on why you are not getting it especially since the thread is not asking that. I am here to read about peoples hands-on experience on the S6 or S6 Edge. Not someone who had no attention in buying one.

I will have to check with Best Buy this weekend to see the S6!

Exactly. No idea why this guy posted this in this specific thread when it has nothing to do with the thread. Just makes him look petty and whiney.

Posted via the Android Central App

chickweedblur

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Posted a long-winded opinion in another thread but the short version is that both are beautiful phones but the regular S6 feels much better in the hand. The display on the Edge is really unique and the awkward bezel feel will probably be mute if you plan on putting it in a case.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Posted a long-winded opinion in another thread but the short version is that both are beautiful phones but the regular S6 feels much better in the hand. The display on the Edge is really unique and the awkward bezel feel will probably be mute if you plan on putting it in a case.

Agree that the GS6 feels better in the hand but I believe that a case will only accentuate the awkward feel. Both are great but GS6 seems a better value for the money.

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I think I understand the disappointment in not getting everything you want in a new phone. Even I was sadden when I watched the Samsung S6 Presentation but I got over it. Sometimes change is good and you have to adapt. Imagine if we were still using floppy disks or even CD's? Sometimes we have to look to the future. In 3 years, long life batteries and 128GB memory could be standard on phones.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I think I understand the disappointment in not getting everything you want in a new phone. Even I was sadden when I watched the Samsung S6 Presentation but I got over it. Sometimes change is good and you have to adapt. Imagine if we were still using floppy disks or even CD's? Sometimes we have to look to the future. In 3 years, long life batteries and 128GB memory could be standard on phones.

Totally agree. Embrace change. Change is not necessarily a bad thing.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I've handled them. Where's the SD slot? Oh, there is none. How do you get the battery out? Oh, you don't.

No thanks. If they give me one free I'll put it on Swappa, but I wouldn't even waste time opening the box. And if that's the "next big thing" with Samsung - no SD card and no replaceable battery - I'll keep my current phone until there are some Project Ara phones available, or someone else comes out with a usable phone. (How do you reboot a hard-bricked phone without an external SD card? Oh, you don't, you just buy a new one. Not me.)

I heard it doesn't even run iOS either!

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I heard it doesn't even run iOS either!

IF the GS6 and Edge meet some of the lofty sales projections and given the possible trend of excluding the slot and swappable battery in flagship devices that Samsung seems to be getting on board with, the op may have a lot of devices going to Swappa unopened. Samsung has made a calculated decision to go this way possibly which means the competition in the Android smartphone space may follow.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Just played it with at Best Buy for about 1:30 hours and my impressions:

- Screen is AMAZING, very bright, and noticeably brighter than my Xperia Z3 on 50%
- Speaker is definitely much louder than the S5
- Camera is the BEST camera I have ever used on a phone. The depth of field is perfect and its VERY FAST
- Wireless charging is almost instant once you place it on the wireless charger
- The Regular S6 feels better than the S6 Edge in the hand to me, the S6 Edge feels sharp on the sides, whereas the S6 regular is more smooth

Sample Photos I took....sorry that they are turned
20150328_170921.jpg20150328_170926.jpg20150328_171156.jpgDSC_0738.jpgDSC_0739.jpg

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

- Screen is AMAZING, very bright, and noticeably brighter than my Xperia Z3 on 50%
- Camera is the BEST camera I have ever used on a phone. The depth of field is perfect and its VERY FAST
- The Regular S6 feels better than the S6 Edge in the hand to me, the S6 Edge feels sharp on the sides, whereas the S6 regular is more smooth

View attachment 168468View attachment 168469View attachment 168470View attachment 168471View attachment 168472

You are off the chain. That's ok. Got my GS6 coming and the Predators have clinched a playoff spot.

lovenokia

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I played with 2 different S6's and S6E and the edge seemed to be slightly more laggy which I mean stuttering to be exact. Also when pulling down the notification center (dragging the entire way down not flicking) there seemed to be some stutter. I didn't notice this on the galaxy note 4, but it could be the demo software that is bogging the device down. Camera opened up very quickly, but I was most impressed by the build quality of the device, it felt better in hand than an iPhone 6. Best built Samsung device I have ever seen, very impressed by the build quality and design.

lovenokia

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

View attachment 168468View attachment 168469View attachment 168470View attachment 168471View attachment 168472

There is no such thing as "perfect" depth of field. The sgs6 happens to have a F1.9 aperture lens, and the DOF your describing is the bokeh.

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I played around with the S6 at Best Buy, and T-mobile. I came from using a S4, and a Note 3 and for like 2 days a Note 4 before buying an iPhone. Now I am waiting for more real life info on the S6 and more hands on. Also waiting for the Oneplus Two to be announced.
So far, I am not sure if I will get the S6 or keep the Iphone 6. Unfortunately cannot keep both.

Pro's:
* They have changed some of the animations out a bit compared to older phones (note 3/s5) to make switching pages, and popping in and out of applications quick yet seem smooth. Props to Samsung for optimizing touchwiz on the Note 4/S6.
* Camera app is very quick to get to as people have said. I wonder if having fingerprint security will impact this performance. The performance of the camera is very good, lots of detail. It has a slightly better depth of field than my iphone 6.
* Screen is awesome. Had a note 4 for a couple of days. Seems they're of the same quality just higher PPI on the S6. One of the best looking screens on the market
* Build quality is very good. Bit on the fragile side due to dual glass panels. Durability looks even worse on the s6e. Still very beautiful devices, such a shame about the huge camera lens/bezels. If it werent for that, I'd have to say it would tie for best looking smartphone with the HTC One M9. Instead I would place it 3rd place. (HTC/iphone 6
* Speaker is very good. Not BAD at all. Plenty loud and clear. Won't beat the HTC boomsound however.
* Under 1 hour charge (rep stated 40-60 minutes or so) for a full charge.
Cons:
* Touchwiz unfortunately still has some stuttering. It is specially so on the integrated flipboard app.
* Battery life was confirmed by Samsung reps to be not as good as the Note 4, however should last a day. Apparently they really are banking on the fast charge feature.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I played around with the S6 at Best Buy, and T-mobile. I came from using a S4, and a Note 3 and for like 2 days a Note 4 before buying an iPhone. Now I am waiting for more real life info on the S6 and more hands on. Also waiting for the Oneplus Two to be announced.
So far, I am not sure if I will get the S6 or keep the Iphone 6. Unfortunately cannot keep both.

Pro's:
* They have changed some of the animations out a bit compared to older phones (note 3/s5) to make switching pages, and popping in and out of applications quick yet seem smooth. Props to Samsung for optimizing touchwiz on the Note 4/S6.
* Camera app is very quick to get to as people have said. I wonder if having fingerprint security will impact this performance. The performance of the camera is very good, lots of detail. It has a slightly better depth of field than my iphone 6.
* Screen is awesome. Had a note 4 for a couple of days. Seems they're of the same quality just higher PPI on the S6. One of the best looking screens on the market
* Build quality is very good. Bit on the fragile side due to dual glass panels. Durability looks even worse on the s6e. Still very beautiful devices, such a shame about the huge camera lens/bezels. If it werent for that, I'd have to say it would tie for best looking smartphone with the HTC One M9. Instead I would place it 3rd place. (HTC/iphone 6
* Speaker is very good. Not BAD at all. Plenty loud and clear. Won't beat the HTC boomsound however.
* Under 1 hour charge (rep stated 40-60 minutes or so) for a full charge.
Cons:
* Touchwiz unfortunately still has some stuttering. It is specially so on the integrated flipboard app.
* Battery life was confirmed by Samsung reps to be not as good as the Note 4, however should last a day. Apparently they really are banking on the fast charge feature.

I wouldn't be bothered by the Flipboard issue as it depends I would think on the number of news and media sites being included in the feed. The more media sources the longer it takes to stream them all.

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't be bothered by the Flipboard issue as it depends I would think on the number of news and media sites being included in the feed. The more media sources the longer it takes to stream them all.

True enough however no excuse for a laggy/stuttering UI.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay