Hands-on experiences at brick and mortar stores--reader thoughts (S6/S6E preference)?

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Can't answer that one. The demo unit that I tested in Best Buy had Flipboard and I saw no stutter. Don't know how demo units differ in terms of firmware from the unit that I preordered.

Honestly, I didn't see a bit of lag on the demo Edge or the S6 either

Posted via Android Central App

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Know if you talked to the Samsung Reps. That for now you rub your finger on the side of the screens edge and the apps come up.
And if the phone is laid on its face you can set it so the colors changes on the screen so you can see who is calling.
But he said they have more uses for the Edge later on.
The edge felt great in my hand. And I didn't seen any lag problems with it.
for the extra Hundred dollars I would move up from the 32Gb to the 64 GB.
If I was rich. I'd like one of each. just move my sims card back and forth.
I'd like more time with Both of them..

Did anybody hear about Samsung was going to give the end user some ability to remove some bloatware by deleting it.

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Know if you talked to the Samsung Reps. That for now you rub your finger on the side of the screens edge and the apps come up.
And if the phone is laid on its face you can set it so the colors changes on the screen so you can see who is calling.
But he said they have more uses for the Edge later on.
The edge felt great in my hand. And I didn't seen any lag problems with it.
for the extra Hundred dollars I would move up from the 32Gb to the 64 GB.
If I was rich. I'd like one of each. just move my sims card back and forth.
I'd like more time with Both of them..

Did anybody hear about Samsung was going to give the end user some ability to remove some bloatware by deleting it.

I believe you can disable the bloatware, but not remove it entirely from the phone.

Dell May

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
I'm interested to hear whether you all would pick the S6 or Note 4 now that you've had hands-on time with the S6.

I'm about to make a purchase and am deciding between the two. (In fact, I pre-ordered the S6. But Best Buy told me I can use my $50 down on either.)

Love the idea of the Note 4's screen real estate and think I'd use the stylus. My hold-up: it feels borderline too large in the hand and pocket once cased. I haven't had any "real world" hands-on time with it outside a retail store display. So I don't really know how practical it is on a daily basis.

S6 is definitely more future proof and appears to have a great camera (really important to me). It's similar in size to my S4, so I know better its feel in one hand. I can't really go wrong based on what I've seen and read.

Appreciate any insight you guys have.

Posted via the Android Central App

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm interested to hear whether you all would pick the S6 or Note 4 now that you've had hands-on time with the S6.

I'm about to make a purchase and am deciding between the two. (In fact, I pre-ordered the S6. But Best Buy told me I can use my $50 down on either.)

Love the idea of the Note 4's screen real estate and think I'd use the stylus. My hold-up: it feels borderline too large in the hand and pocket once cased. I haven't had any "real world" hands-on time with it outside a retail store display. So I don't really know how practical it is on a daily basis.

S6 is definitely more future proof and appears to have a great camera (really important to me). It's similar in size to my S4, so I know better its feel in one hand. I can't really go wrong based on what I've seen and read.

S6

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site

For the camera, only difference is the lens. Otherwise: Same OIS/Same sensor. There may potentially be IP changes as well but not sure. In any case it appears the lens+IP changes are helping it out a lot.

If you think you may use the s-pen a lot, there really isn't anything comparable right now to the note 4/s-pen functionality. I had a note 3 and loved it, I did have to rock it without a case for 10 months because using a case was too bulky for me. In the end the problem was that the GPS on it was wonky ever since 4.4.2~, and the camera always sucked indoors/lowlight situations (did fine outdoors in daylight).
I got the Note 4 for 2~ days, and found the camera to be excellent however during motion shots in okay to low lighting it would blur no matter what mode I used. Useless when capturing special moments with my loved ones and friends.
I will say battery life on the note 4 was EXCELLENT. Easily giving me 40%-60% battery life at the end of the day.
Unfortunately the note 4 can suffer in some intensive games, specially if they are not optimized for it.

I haven't seen any reviews use real life pictures with the S6/S6E in situations where there is a lot of movement in good to low light indoor situations (and low light outdoor situations), which is where the note 4 failed badly (and review sites kept favoring sun-lit categories over indoor photography to make assessments of picture taking with the Note 4).

Imho I'd wait for more people to get hands on with the devices before making judgement. Note 4 has better battery life, bigger screen, plus unbeatable s-pen. S6 has potentially better camera lens, potentially better UI, better speaker, better out of the box features (wireless charging, quicker charging, etc) and smaller footprint.

Last edited:

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
IF the GS6 and Edge meet some of the lofty sales projections and given the possible trend of excluding the slot and swappable battery in flagship devices that Samsung seems to be getting on board with, the op may have a lot of devices going to Swappa unopened. Samsung has made a calculated decision to go this way possibly which means the competition in the Android smartphone space may follow.

HTC did the same thing and they reversed their decision. Others who didn't reverse it are dying or have been sold off.

Of course you know better. We should adapt. (and in your line of reasoning, adapting equals spending more money to do what had been done in the past for cheaper.) why don't we just go backwards like Apple and have a 720 screen? The phone should adapt to the user, the user should never have to adapt to the product.

As for swappa, no not allot of phones today are SD slotless. And the ones who were was resold in most cases and replaced with phones who had them. Bad battery life and no SD slot has shown to be horrible for sales and keeping it long term for the above average user. Just look at all the people who came from a moto X 14 and jumped to the note 4 just 3 or 4 months later. Now ask them why.

This personally doesn't affect me much. But I see why it affects others.

Posted via Android Central App

Dell May

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
For the camera, only difference is the lens. Otherwise: Same OIS/Same lens. There may potentially be IP changes as well but not sure. In any case it appears the lens+IP changes are helping it out a lot.

If you think you may use the s-pen a lot, there really isn't anything comparable right now to the note 4/s-pen functionality. I had a note 3 and loved it, I did have to rock it without a case for 10 months because using a case was too bulky for me. In the end the problem was that the GPS on it was wonky ever since 4.4.2~, and the camera always sucked indoors/lowlight situations (did fine outdoors in daylight).
I got the Note 4 for 2~ days, and found the camera to be excellent however during motion shots in okay to low lighting it would blur no matter what mode I used. Useless when capturing special moments with my loved ones and friends.
I will say battery life on the note 4 was EXCELLENT. Easily giving me 40%-60% battery life at the end of the day.
Unfortunately the note 4 can suffer in some intensive games, specially if they are not optimized for it.

I haven't seen any reviews use real life pictures with the S6/S6E in situations where there is a lot of movement in good to low light indoor situations (and low light outdoor situations), which is where the note 4 failed badly (and review sites kept favoring sun-lit categories over indoor photography to make assessments of picture taking with the Note 4).

Imho I'd wait for more people to get hands on with the devices before making judgement. Note 4 has better battery life, bigger screen, plus unbeatable s-pen. S6 has potentially better camera lens, potentially better UI, better speaker, better out of the box features (wireless charging, quicker charging, etc) and smaller footprint.

Thanks for your advice. Good stuff.

Good point on battery life.

I am really active with my phone. Use it while jogging for GPS. Read and work with it. Plus have a kid who uses on occasion. So cases are essential. The trick with me getting a Note 4 is how it feels cased. Maybe I can talk my Best Buy rep to let me stick one in a case.

But really, a either N4 or S6 will be a great option.

uncledeewz

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

I have the Note 4 and I get why you're interested in that device. It's really good, probably Samsungs best device until the s6 drops. BUT if you care about using your devices with one hand or wear somewhat tight pants I would genuinely consider the s6 instead. I've pre ordered the s6 for that very reason. As much as I love the Note 4 it's just to big to be comfortable using it with one hand or in my pocket. I have medium sized hands and to me it's a two handed device. But if you like big screens and the s pen the Note 4 is a no brainer, just know that it's a big phone and that it will affect the user experience unless you don't mind using two hands or have big hands.

Dell May

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
I have the Note 4 and I get why you're interested in that device. It's really good, probably Samsungs best device until the s6 drops. BUT if you care about using your devices with one hand or wear somewhat tight pants I would genuinely consider the s6 instead. I've pre ordered the s6 for that very reason. As much as I love the Note 4 it's just to big to be comfortable using it with one hand or in my pocket. I have medium sized hands and to me it's a two handed device. But if you like big screens and the s pen the Note 4 is a no brainer, just know that it's a big phone and that it will affect the user experience unless you don't mind using two hands or have big hands.

You're really nailing the point for me, thanks.

I liked the idea of a multipurpose, productivity workhorse phablet that could be with me at all times. My work gave me an iPad Air 2, but that's not always with me.

The S6 fortunately comes with some nice advances, so I wouldn't feel shortchanged by getting it over the N4. It has many strengths of the N4. Plus the camera seemed fast, quick to activate and high quality. It isn't bulky in size. Speaker sound was adequate to good. Losing the SD card and having average battery capacity are bummers, but Samsung provided work-arounds. And it's not as though the screen is tiny.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I loved the feel in hand with playing with them in store. That being said, originally I was leaning towards the edge, but after playing with both in store, the s6 definitely felt better in hand and easier to hold compared to the edge. Both are nice phones, and the screen looked amazing, camera launched super fast, and the overall UI was pretty smooth, even for being a store demo model.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Oh one other thing I forgot to mention, they had one unit on the wireless charging pad. When I picked up the unit that was utilizing it, I noticed that it was considerably warmer than the other non wireless charging S6.
I'm assuming that's normal for wireless charging?
I think I'll skip it for now. It may have long term implications on battery health if your planning on keeping the phone for years to come.

Same thing I noticed. The wireless charging s6edge was a lot warmer than the s6 being plugged into charge.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I played with 2 different S6's and S6E and the edge seemed to be slightly more laggy which I mean stuttering to be exact. Also when pulling down the notification center (dragging the entire way down not flicking) there seemed to be some stutter. I didn't notice this on the galaxy note 4, but it could be the demo software that is bogging the device down. Camera opened up very quickly, but I was most impressed by the build quality of the device, it felt better in hand than an iPhone 6. Best built Samsung device I have ever seen, very impressed by the build quality and design.

Noticed the same thing with the 2 s6 edges that i played with. Stutter wasn't there with the regular s6.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
The white hides fingerprints better but isn't as beautiful to look at as the black sapphire.

The Black Sapphire has this deep blue colour when the light hits it which is really beautiful too look at.
It's a tough choice to make but at the moment I'm leaning toward the Black Sapphire version. The reflections produced on the Black Sapphire model are really a sight to behold.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

dtblair24

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I just got back from Best Buy and was able to spend some hands-on time with both the S6 and S6 Edge. Coming from the Nexus 6, the size difference is a bit of a shock, but both devices felt extremely premium. If you're coming from a phone with a curved back, the flatness of the S6/S6 Edge will take some getting used to, but there's no denying just how incredible these devices look and feel. As far as the Edge goes, the sides are slightly sharp, but I'd have to say that I wouldn't let that be a deterent from buying the device if you like everything else about it. The infinity pool look is striking in person. If you want a phone to turn heads, this phone will most certainly do that. Then again, so will the S6.

The display on both phones just isn't fair to other mobile displays. Absolutely puts my Nexus 6 to shame.
I am a little nervous doungrading in size from the Nexus 6. But I am thinking the Pros outweigh the Cons. I have been in the HTC camp since the M7 and M8 and I love my nexus 6 but the screens on those phones do not compare, cameras do not even come close. Tired of having phones with mediocre cameras.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I am a little nervous doungrading in size from the Nexus 6. But I am thinking the Pros outweigh the Cons. I have been in the HTC camp since the M7 and M8 and I love my nexus 6 but the screens on those phones do not compare, cameras do not even come close. Tired of having phones with mediocre cameras.

The pros definitely outweigh the cons. I'd be hesitant about it if the UI didn't feel as smooth/smoother than my Nexus. I think this is easily the fastest QHD phone out right now. The Exynos can handle pushing those pixels just fine.

uncledeewz

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
You're really nailing the point for me, thanks.

I liked the idea of a multipurpose, productivity workhorse phablet that could be with me at all times. My work gave me an iPad Air 2, but that's not always with me.

The S6 fortunately comes with some nice advances, so I wouldn't feel shortchanged by getting it over the N4. It has many strengths of the N4. Plus the camera seemed fast, quick to activate and high quality. It isn't bulky in size. Speaker sound was adequate to good. Losing the SD card and having average battery capacity are bummers, but Samsung provided work-arounds. And it's not as though the screen is tiny.

For me personally, the only drawbacks of the s6 compared to the Note 4 is battery life. I only wanted sd card compatibility with my phones cause of low internal memory, but that's been solved. But yeah, not an easy choice for sure! Have considered cancelling my pre order because of how good the Note is, but can't stand having pain in the hand and limited mobility with the phone in my pocket.

All I can say is good luck with whatever you choose, and if you can, play with both devices extensively so you can make the best decision for you!