Hands-on experiences at brick and mortar stores--reader thoughts (S6/S6E preference)?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
For me personally, the only drawbacks of the s6 compared to the Note 4 is battery life. I only wanted sd card compatibility with my phones cause of low internal memory, but that's been solved. But yeah, not an easy choice for sure! Have considered cancelling my pre order because of how good the Note is, but can't stand having pain in the hand and limited mobility with the phone in my pocket.

All I can say is good luck with whatever you choose, and if you can, play with both devices extensively so you can make the best decision for you!

Agreed. Keep in perspective that battery reviews are all over the map differing in firmware versions, device set ups , review methodologies, and don't account for mitigating factors like Lollipop 5.0.2 being associated with battery issues. Let's also remember carrier/Sammy bug fixes and Lollipop 5.1 may render theses issues mute. The battery on the GS6 is powering a better more feature rich and optimized device yet appears to be comparable or slightly less than its bigger brother powering a device with less of these elements and performance as well as a more bloated UI.

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
My biggest issues with the edge are the "sharper" feeling edges. Also standing under the bright lights in the best buy store put a nice glare where the screen curved on both sides of the phone making it virtually unreadable on those two bands. Definitely sealed my decision for the regular S6

RG129

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I spent some time with both phones at Best Buy today. I don't see anybody else mentioning this, but I feel for certain apps or certain tasks that I'm doing, the distortion from the sloped screen on the Edge would bug me.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Posted a long-winded opinion in another thread but the short version is that both are beautiful phones but the regular S6 feels much better in the hand. The display on the Edge is really unique and the awkward bezel feel will probably be mute if you plan on putting it in a case.

Putting it in a case may make it worse accentuating the issue making it more awkward in the hand. Only time will tell when we hear from an Edge owner.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
We got our demos in, I'll be giving my impressions later on here. I'll be testing battery ,camera and performance.

Posted via the Android Central App

dtblair24

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I am coming from an HTC M8 and Nexus 6. I am pretty impressed. Screen sh*ts on my N6 and M8.
I was a bit more impressed with the edge than I thought I would be. It just looks pretty slick, but that is about it. Would not be practical for me to splurge on that. But the regular one feels good in the hand. Pretty light weight but still solid.

Camera is also refreshing. My nexus 6 camera is mediocre and slow. M8 camera is not that slow but still takes mediocre shots.

But I am also having a hard time deciding which color. Like someone just said, the black and other colors have a nice reaction to light. But I also hate fingerprints.
Only thing that really pissed me off is the look of touchwiz. Icons look like crap but whatever.

Dell May

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Agreed. Keep in perspective that battery reviews are all over the map differing in firmware versions, device set ups , review methodologies, and don't account for mitigating factors like Lollipop 5.0.2 being associated with battery issues. Let's also remember carrier/Sammy bug fixes and Lollipop 5.1 may render theses issues mute. The battery on the GS6 is powering a better more feature rich and optimized device yet appears to be comparable or slightly less than its bigger brother powering a device with less of these elements and performance as well as a more bloated UI.

Thanks to you and uncledeewz. Good point about the battery and the fast charging is a good work-around. Because I pre-ordered, I'll get the wireless charger from Best Buy -- another nice perk.

I agree on SD. I bought an 32G SD because my S4 only had 16G. I came from Apple, so I'm used to working off internal memory. Cloud capabilities are simple on Android. I can get by without the SD. (I reserved a 64G S6.)

Either way, I can't go wrong. Luckily Samsung offered up a S6 that seems really capable and productive, just like the Note 4. I haven't yet heard a deal-breaking flaw in the S6, and my hands-on time didn't dissuade me either.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to you and uncledeewz. Good point about the battery and the fast charging is a good work-around. Because I pre-ordered, I'll get the wireless charger from Best Buy -- another nice perk.

I agree on SD. I bought an 32G SD because my S4 only had 16G. I came from Apple, so I'm used to working off internal memory. Cloud capabilities are simple on Android. I can get by without the SD. (I reserved a 64G S6.)

Either way, I can't go wrong. Luckily Samsung offered up a S6 that seems really capable and productive, just like the Note 4. I haven't yet heard a deal-breaking flaw in the S6, and my hands-on time didn't dissuade me either.

You are most welcome. I am glad that I was able to contribute something positive in your decision. I can't wait either and hope that it ships early.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Ok, First and foremost...I can't post pictures of the phones, Because I can lose my job if i do. People on here know im credible and you can also browse my past posts on other devices. If you need pictures to believe me, Then move on..

Second, In the last 4 Months i have owned Droid Turbo, IPhone 6 Plus, Galaxy Note 4 and Nexus 6. (Played with HTC One M9 Demo)

Build Quality/Feel in Hand:

I will say this right now, I was concerned that with glass and metal this device would be slippery or uncomfortable to hold . Boy, I was wrong! The Galaxy S6 feels GREAT in the hand and for some reason, The phone feels small. Even though it's the same screen size as the 5, It feels like they did a great job in perfecting the size and shape. This phone EASILY is the best looking phone Android has seen IMO (I'm a Motorola/HTC guy too). People talk about how HTC has made such a iconic looking phone and what not and don't get me wrong, It's a beautiful phone, But the Speakers add to much height, The htc logo chin is ugly and the phone is simply not easy to hold/use in hand. Samsung has finally listened to us!

To add to the Build Quality, My Co worker and i did some drop tests. We dropped it from our ear, pocket & we dragged it on multiple surfaces. The phone showed NO signs of damage. There wasn't even a scratch! So im happy to see that the glass can hold it owns.

Performance

This is hands down the most important part of a phone to me. I want something that's Smooth, Fluid, Stable and still look good animation wise in doing it. This is the reason why i don't like Samsung phones, Because i simply dislike TW and every year it gets worse and worse. Don't get me wrong, I abuse Nova Launcher and i also like to Unlock/root/flash and what not, But i want to give my opinions of the S6 out of the box, Because most consumers don't do any of that.

I am happy to say that this phone is UNBELIEVABLY smooth. Samsung didn't do anything Major to TW, But it's clear that they did something in the background of TW, Because its like Butter to me. The animations do however make things seem like it could be even faster, but of course that can be changed under Developer options. So for those who don't like TW or who feel the Samsung can't make a smooth phone, The GS6 will change your mind! I also want to point out that when we receive the demos, We have to log into a special google account that VZW gives us and once we do that all the apps you damn customers dl on them when you come in restore on the device, So there was another 40 or more apps installed on stop of the 40+ that were on there. I'll cover more on the camera later, But i do want to say that the double tap home button feature to launch the camera is EXTREMELY FAST! BEST IDEA EVER! I prefer it over motos twist your wrist option and LGS back down button option.

Battery

I mentioned earlier that when we get demo devices in there's a lot of stuff that has to go on the device and set up before we can have it ready for launch. This includes downloading demo loops and installing them, setting up 1 gmail and 1 email, restoring a ton of apps and the biggest letting 12 employees play with it, try out features and learn them. From 10am to about 9pm, The phone started at 84% and by the end of the night the phone was at 24%. We were testing out the camera, Trying QHD videos to see how good the screen is, We were testing out the speaker and comparing it to the M9 and basic stuff like playing with it and just seeing how the phone operates. I believe the screen on time was around 5 hours. I actually took a screenshot and was going to send it to myself, But i forgot so i can't provide that just yet. I'm not going to go into anymore detail after just one day, But i expect the S6 to have GOOD battery life. I don't expect it to match the GS4, Turbo or G3, but it blew away the M9, Nexus 6 and S5.

Camera
My co worker is a photographer and really knows his stuff, He is writing out a review and i am going to post it when he finishes it, Because im a general picture taker and it's not fair to you guys if i give you my thoughts when to be honest, the camera is not the most important feature for me and i would never turn away a phone if the camera wasn't best of the best. Just give me good pictures, good low light photos, Don't lag when i want to take a picture (Here's looking at you Turbo!) & don't give me a clunky UI. So, Comparing the devices i have used, I would say that the S6 is better than the IPhone 6 plus, Htc One M9, Turbo, N6 & G3. I would say it's on par with the GN4 and that's probably, Because its close to the same camera accept for a lower f stop.

If you have any questions, Just ask. I am going to stop here for now, But i will add to this later.

(I was set on the M9, But here are 3 quick things that i noticed...The Battery is AWFUL, The Camera is worst in it's class and the UI features and dumb (Except for Blinkfeed and smoothness). Such a let down!

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Nice review.

I didn't really care for the edge design but I whole heatedly agree about the in hand feel. The S6 did feel larger than the Edge to me too. The Edge just feels a little small for me but I currently have the G3 so yea.

I can't comment about battery because I only spent 30 min with the phone. The fluidity on the other hand was impressive.

I didn't go to best buy to check out the S6, it just kinds caught my eye and I'm glad it did

Posted via Android Central App

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Ok, First and foremost...I can't post pictures of the phones, Because I can lose my job if i do. People on here know im credible and you can also browse my past posts on other devices. If you need pictures to believe me, Then move on..

Second, In the last 4 Months i have owned Droid Turbo, IPhone 6 Plus, Galaxy Note 4 and Nexus 6. (Played with HTC One M9 Demo)

I will say this right now, I was concerned that with glass and metal this device would be slippery or uncomfortable to hold . Boy, I was wrong! The Galaxy S6 feels GREAT in the hand and for some reason, The phone feels small. Even though it's the same screen size as the 5, It feels like they did a great job in perfecting the size and shape. This phone EASILY is the best looking phone Android has seen IMO (I'm a Motorola/HTC guy too). People talk about how HTC has made such a iconic looking phone and what not and don't get me wrong, It's a beautiful phone, But the Speakers add to much height, The htc logo chin is ugly and the phone is simply not easy to hold/use in hand. Samsung has finally listened to us!

To add to the Build Quality, My Co worker and i did some drop tests. We dropped it from our ear, pocket & we dragged it on multiple surfaces. The phone showed NO signs of damage. There wasn't even a scratch! So im happy to see that the glass can hold it owns.

Performance

This is hands down the most important part of a phone to me. I want something that's Smooth, Fluid, Stable and still look good animation wise in doing it. This is the reason why i don't like Samsung phones, Because i simply dislike TW and every year it gets worse and worse. Don't get me wrong, I abuse Nova Launcher and i also like to Unlock/root/flash and what not, But i want to give my opinions of the S6 out of the box, Because most consumers don't do any of that.

I am happy to say that this phone is UNBELIEVABLY smooth. Samsung didn't do anything Major to TW, But it's clear that they did something in the background of TW, Because its like Butter to me. The animations do however make things seem like it could be even faster, but of course that can be changed under Developer options. So for those who don't like TW or who feel the Samsung can't make a smooth phone, The GS6 will change your mind! I also want to point out that when we receive the demos, We have to log into a special google account that VZW gives us and once we do that all the apps you damn customers dl on them when you come in restore on the device, So there was another 40 or more apps installed on stop of the 40+ that were on there. I'll cover more on the camera later, But i do want to say that the double tap home button feature to launch the camera is EXTREMELY FAST! BEST IDEA EVER! I prefer it over motos twist your wrist option and LGS back down button option.

Battery

I mentioned earlier that when we get demo devices in there's a lot of stuff that has to go on the device and set up before we can have it ready for launch. This includes downloading demo loops and installing them, setting up 1 gmail and 1 email, restoring a ton of apps and the biggest letting 12 employees play with it, try out features and learn them. From 10am to about 9pm, The phone started at 84% and by the end of the night the phone was at 24%. We were testing out the camera, Trying QHD videos to see how good the screen is, We were testing out the speaker and comparing it to the M9 and basic stuff like playing with it and just seeing how the phone operates. I believe the screen on time was around 5 hours. I actually took a screenshot and was going to send it to myself, But i forgot so i can't provide that just yet. I'm not going to go into anymore detail after just one day, But i expect the S6 to have GOOD battery life. I don't expect it to match the GS4, Turbo or G3, but it blew away the M9, Nexus 6 and S5.

Camera
My co worker is a photographer and really knows his stuff, He is writing out a review and i am going to post it when he finishes it, Because im a general picture taker and it's not fair to you guys if i give you my thoughts when to be honest, the camera is not the most important feature for me and i would never turn away a phone if the camera wasn't best of the best. Just give me good pictures, good low light photos, Don't lag when i want to take a picture (Here's looking at you Turbo!) & don't give me a clunky UI. So, Comparing the devices i have used, I would say that the S6 is better than the IPhone 6 plus, Htc One M9, Turbo, N6 & G3. I would say it's on par with the GN4 and that's probably, Because its close to the same camera accept for a lower f stop.

If you have any questions, Just ask. I am going to stop here for now, But i will add to this later.

(I was set on the M9, But here are 3 quick things that i noticed...The Battery is AWFUL, The Camera is worst in it's class and the UI features and dumb (Except for Blinkfeed and smoothness). Such a let down!

Very nice review. Totally understand not being able to post pictures. Battery results are very encouraging. How current is the firmware version?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Performance

Battery

Camera

Your review is very thorough but could you summarize your findings and conclusions about the GS6. Thanks.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Your review is very thorough but could you summarize your findings and conclusions about the GS6. Thanks.

Performance on the GS6 is the best Samsung has done.

Battery is Above Average

Build Quality meets and beats Apple and any other Android Device

The Galaxy S6 is the phone to beat hands down.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Joe,

I've read your full review and thank you from the bottom of my heart. The battery results you talk about eases my doubts as lately I might have been mislead about poor results. I hope that in a day or so more will chime in and state the same.
I don't need the best battery life, but it can't be bad as what Andrew from this site has said or I just can't buy it. So with such use in your store I'm sure I'll be fine.

While I have not tested the camera yet on demo models at the stores, I too am impressed with the camera results online and I'm a retired photographer. The S6 clearly has the best camera in a smartphone today and is the new benchmark that all phones have to look up to. I'm looking forward to your friend results and review.

Again thank you

Posted via Android Central App

Joela44

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Couldn't agree more. Staying with my S5 with Google Now launcher. Those two items are the deal breaker for me. One of the best reasons to stay on Android is expandable storage and removable battery combo. Just can't beat it. Been with Verizon for 15 years now but thinking of buying outright and going with a different carrier. Thoughts?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084