Samsung Galaxy S6 wow - first impressions

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Went to Best Buy today. Played with the S6 and Edge. I don't like the Edge as much, the edge where the curve meets the metal is sharp.

The regular S6 is smooth and amazing. There is a slight curved glass edges like the Nexus 4 that makes swiping off screen feel great. The in hand feel is amazing. The curves on the metal band feels so great.

The phone is ridiculousness fast. Camera, swiping through apps everything is just fast and smooth. Camera pops up in a split second and takes photos super fast too. I was impressed by the video editing ability. Trimming, slow motion control, etc. And it just looks intuitive too.

Speaker is loud. Seems clear to me as much as it could be inside a best buy.

I am so pumped for this phone. Love it

Posted via the Android Central App

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Re: wow - first impressions

Does the white leave less visible fingers prints on the glass than the black? I dont forsee myself using it with a case due to the camera lens but was curious if anyone who tested both noticed.

SharkyNY

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site

I think Samsung did a great job with the ergonomics of the phone. It feels light, yet solid. And I love the 2.5D glass. I wonder why manufacturers started to go away from having the glass slope at the edges. It's one of my favorite things about my Nexus 4.

I had almost forgotten about the double press to open the camera app. It wasn't until the Samsung rep told me about it that I tried it. Did it a few times and I'm really impressed by how fast it opens up the app. And it was fast every time.

Speaking of speed I really like how fluid the new TW is. Samsung did a great job of trimming it down both in terms of bloat and design.

Also plugged in my headphones to see how the S6 sounded. And not that I listened for very long, but I thought the sound was crisp and clean.

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Does the white leave less visible fingers prints on the glass than the black? I dont forsee myself using it with a case due to the camera lens but was curious if anyone who tested both noticed.

I didn't notice much more to be honest. Both were about the same in that lighting at Best Buy

eds817

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

I was considering going from my Note 2 to the S6 until I found out Samsung did away with the SD storage and removable battery. I'm now looking at the HTC One M9.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

checked em out today. first impression was a good one, though there's no doubt Samsung has their footprint all over it. at least most preinstalled apps can be disabled.

the edge display is noticeably narrower than its counterpart, and I don't see how a case is gonna be able to fit. they're also extremely light and ridiculously thin.

for a glass phone, and I'm comparing it to the nexus 4, the grip isn't bad at all. it's definitely a gorgeous phone, but Samsung led us to believe there would be less bloat, and I'm just not seeing it. that said, it's a big improvement from the TW of a few years ago.

overall, they're both extremely fast and the display blows every other phone out of the water. I was hoping for 1080, thinking the difference is minimal and I'd rather less battery drainage. I might still prefer the extra battery strength, we'll soon see, but there is a very noticeable difference, the screen, and the phone for that matter definitely has the wow factor.

obviously not perfect, we all know it's short comings, but Samsung is definitely back in a big way!

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

When you consider HTC stuck with 1080p and included a bigger battery only to come away with significantly worse battery life than the M8, count your blessings.

Even pared down or whatnot, those TW Launcher icons are still fugly. I'm surprised they didn't redesign the icons with the phone.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site

I thought the Edge was amazing. The regular s6 is nice, but it didn't leave me with a feeling like the Edge did. One thing I did notice about the edge that wasn't pleasant was the bloatware. I feel like there was some dishonesty there. Maybe it's because I was at a AT&T store, and it was a AT&T phone, but it was loaded up with all kinds of crap. Didn't think to see if I could delete though. One thing that was odd is I couldn't figure out how to demo the Edge screen. I did what the video "reviews" on youtube did, I rubbed the active edge when the display was asleep but all it did was invoke the annoying demo mode all over again.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Preordered,the AT&T 64GB black sapphire GS6 at Best Buy. Got the wireless charging pad and $50 gift card.

I then went over to the demo area and played with the GS6 and the Edge. The black sapphire has a premium highly polished powder coated look that is great. The GS6 felt better in the hand than the Edge and had a more solid premium feel. The bezels on the Edge are definitely finely machined edge not razor sharp just sharp enough to be noticed and that there was less than solid feel to it. Both were wicked fast. No noticeable lag at all. smooth as butter. Samsung has a potential hit on their hands.

kollarism

May 13, 2012
Visit site

Preordered,the AT&T 64GB black sapphire GS6 at Best Buy. Got the wireless charging pad and $50 gift card.

I then went over to the demo area and played with the GS6 and the Edge. The black sapphire has a premium highly polished powder coated look that is great. The GS6 felt better in the hand than the Edge and had a more solid premium feel. The bezels on the Edge are definitely finely machined edge not razor sharp just sharp enough to be noticed and that there was less than solid feel to it. Both were wicked fast. No noticeable lag at all. smooth as butter. Samsung has a potential hit on their hands.

I saw BB advertise the charger, but not gift card. Did you have to ask for that?

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site

I thought the Edge was amazing. The regular s6 is nice, but it didn't leave me with a feeling like the Edge did. One thing I did notice about the edge that wasn't pleasant was the bloatware. I feel like there was some dishonesty there. Maybe it's because I was at a AT&T store, and it was a AT&T phone, but it was loaded up with all kinds of crap. Didn't think to see if I could delete though. One thing that was odd is I couldn't figure out how to demo the Edge screen. I did what the video "reviews" on youtube did, I rubbed the active edge when the display was asleep but all it did was invoke the annoying demo mode all over again.

I was able to get it to work on the demo unit. When you turned the screen off the demo popped up. Then hit the power button again and the demo turned off. Then I could see the night clock which was awesome and the notifications if I rubbed the screen.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site

I saw BB advertise the charger, but not gift card. Did you have to ask for that?

You pay $50 and get a $50 best buy gift card. That's just to reserve your preorder. Kinda sucks because if you cancel your preorder your stuck with a best buy gift card rather than just your money back. I don't buy too much at best buy anymore due to their crap prices, but I'm sure I could find something if I had to cancel.

DWS44

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site

I thought the Edge was amazing. The regular s6 is nice, but it didn't leave me with a feeling like the Edge did.

Well said! I dropped by Best Buy first thing this morning to check out their demo units...and was not disappointed! The S6 Edge looks/feels awesome in person. Two things I wanted to see in-person after reading many comments on...the feel and grip of the Edge...and the camera bump on the back. Honestly, I found the Edge easier to grip than my M8 and much less slippery. As for the camera bump...it doesn't stick out as much in real life as the pictures make it seem...or at least that was my impression. Don't think it's something I would even think twice about.

Some other thoughts from someone coming from a long line of HTC Phones (OG Evo, Evo LTE, M7, M8):

I loved the overall feel of this Edge compared to the M8...and especially loved the fact it wasn't as frickin TALL as the M8. I had the M7 from launch day up until a month ago, when I picked up an M8 to play with. Biggest gripe is the extra height of the M8. I thought for sure the M9 would get rid of the waste of the black logo bar and huge bezels, but oh well...time to move on. It will be nice to get back to a phone that isn't so tall!

Speakers...I figured I was so used to the front speakers on the M7/M8 that I would be disappointed going back to regular speakers, but I was pleasantly surprised by how loud and clear the speaker was on the S6! I'm not a huge audiophile by any stretch, but I appreciate good, crisp sound...and what I found on the demo unit was not bad at all, and certainly sufficient to my needs.

Button Placement...I admit, I've been a holdout, preferring the power button on top. I've not been looking forward to giving that up, but the button placement on the Edge felt very natural even with power on the side. It will still take some getting used to, but it's not as bad as I'd imagined.

Speed...its certainly has plenty! I was impressed how smooth the phone felt. It seemed effortless moving, swiping, opening various things. I loved how quickly you could fire up the camera, too.

Software...I've always liked Sense, so I've been concerned with moving to TouchWiz, but on the S6, TouchWiz never felt like it was in my way, so to speak. I never really felt any deal breakers as I played with the phone and software. The only real thing I noticed...their new clock/weather widget on the main screen looked nice, but no matter where you tap on it, you just get the weather app. Coming from Sense, I'm used to tapping the clock portion of the widget to go into the clock/alarm app. Perhaps that can be changed somewhere in settings...not a deal breaker by any means.

Overall...the Edge is a beautiful piece...and a nice change of pace! I'm looking forward to getting mine pre-ordered next week!

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Well said! I dropped by Best Buy first thing this morning to check out their demo units...and was not disappointed! The S6 Edge looks/feels awesome in person. Two things I wanted to see in-person after reading many comments on...the feel and grip of the Edge...and the camera bump on the back. Honestly, I found the Edge easier to grip than my M8 and much less slippery. As for the camera bump...it doesn't stick out as much in real life as the pictures make it seem...or at least that was my impression. Don't think it's something I would even think twice about.

Some other thoughts from someone coming from a long line of HTC Phones (OG Evo, Evo LTE, M7, M8):

I loved the overall feel of this Edge compared to the M8...and especially loved the fact it wasn't as frickin TALL as the M8. I had the M7 from launch day up until a month ago, when I picked up an M8 to play with. Biggest gripe is the extra height of the M8. I thought for sure the M9 would get rid of the waste of the black logo bar and huge bezels, but oh well...time to move on. It will be nice to get back to a phone that isn't so tall!

Speakers...I figured I was so used to the front speakers on the M7/M8 that I would be disappointed going back to regular speakers, but I was pleasantly surprised by how loud and clear the speaker was on the S6! I'm not a huge audiophile by any stretch, but I appreciate good, crisp sound...and what I found on the demo unit was not bad at all, and certainly sufficient to my needs.

Button Placement...I admit, I've been a holdout, preferring the power button on top. I've not been looking forward to giving that up, but the button placement on the Edge felt very natural even with power on the side. It will still take some getting used to, but it's not as bad as I'd imagined.

Speed...its certainly has plenty! I was impressed how smooth the phone felt. It seemed effortless moving, swiping, opening various things. I loved how quickly you could fire up the camera, too.

Software...I've always liked Sense, so I've been concerned with moving to TouchWiz, but on the S6, TouchWiz never felt like it was in my way, so to speak. I never really felt any deal breakers as I played with the phone and software. The only real thing I noticed...their new clock/weather widget on the main screen looked nice, but no matter where you tap on it, you just get the weather app. Coming from Sense, I'm used to tapping the clock portion of the widget to go into the clock/alarm app. Perhaps that can be changed somewhere in settings...not a deal breaker by any means.

Overall...the Edge is a beautiful piece...and a nice change of pace! I'm looking forward to getting mine pre-ordered next week!

Slightly disagree about the Edge. It did not feel as solid or as good in the hand. Its sharp bezels make for a slightly awkward grip though they are distinctive just not knife edge sharp. Functionality equivalent to the GN4 would have caused me to take a second look but, in my option, it is more of a novelty and doesn't justify the $100 additional cost at each storage level. Other than that, fast as greased lightning. No noticeable lag at all. smoth as butter. It all comes down to personal and perceived value. Do we know how the curved edges will affect the tensile strength of the Gorilla Glass? Otherwise, you can't go wring with either one.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site

I was able to get it to work on the demo unit. When you turned the screen off the demo popped up. Then hit the power button again and the demo turned off. Then I could see the night clock which was awesome and the notifications if I rubbed the screen.

ohh. I'll have to try that the next time I'm at best buy. Thanks!!

Wait until you live with a phone with the power button on the side. It's life changing. I can't wait to get my edge.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21