Samsung Galaxy S6 wow - first impressions

beatsandlife

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: wow - first impressions

Preordered,the AT&T 64GB black sapphire GS6 at Best Buy. Got the wireless charging pad and $50 gift card.

I then went over to the demo area and played with the GS6 and the Edge. The black sapphire has a premium highly polished powder coated look that is great. The GS6 felt better in the hand than the Edge and had a more solid premium feel. The bezels on the Edge are definitely finely machined edge not razor sharp just sharp enough to be noticed and that there was less than solid feel to it. Both were wicked fast. No noticeable lag at all. smooth as butter. Samsung has a potential hit on their hands.

The $50 is essentially what you put down to preorder it right? They're just giving it to you to pay down on day of pickup? Sorry, I've never preordered a device.

Posted via the Android Central App

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site

The $50 is essentially what you put down to preorder it right? They're just giving it to you to pay down on day of pickup? Sorry, I've never preordered a device.

Yes. You can use the $50 gift card towards payment when you pick up. It basically just gives best buy some sort of benefit if people cancel their preorder. Even though they didn't necessary lose money, you have to use that $50 at best buy. Pretty smart move by them.

As far as the person above asking about the main clock widget going to different areas, you can just install Beautiful Widgets and you can get that functionality back.

KyleDC

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site

I just came back on my hunt for the S6 and honestly just wow. I currently have a Note 4 and I'm really starting to find the phone just a tad too big for my liking and I've decided on getting the S6. I really love the edge display, especially with the parallax effect, the app icons just jump out and give you this insane 3D illusion. However the metal trim is just too thin for me, which completely sucks! I love the display but I think I might just go for the standard version because of how thin the trim is on the edge. Or maybe I'll opt for the edge version.. I can't decide! I guess I'm just going to have to go back and test them out some more, just wish they weren't attached to a table so I can get a complete in-hand feel of the devices.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Yup. Put $50 down as a deposit and then they gave me a card. Starting $399 less $50 get you to $349. Then, I have a $50 BB card from Christmas and then the $50 Best Buy preorder card.Then, $95 from selling my phone to Best Buy. This made rationalizing the 64GB GS6 two year purchase on AT&T worth it.

Coney718

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site

Got to play with the regular S6 earlier at BB. Feels VERY nice in the hand. Very light but still premium. The build quality is top notch. The screen is insane. Puts my iPhone 6 screen to shame. Like others have said everything is super quick. No lag at all. double pressing the home button launches the camera almost immediately..every time. Snapped a couple pics and quality was quite nice. Did quick camera comparison with my iPhone and the pics almost identical quality wise. This is the first Samsung camera phone that can truly compete. Just the white balance seemed a bit better on the iPhone. Every app i clicked on launched and loaded up very fast. I couldnt play with the Edge version someone else was on it but it did look very nice as well. Really can't go wrong with either. I haven't been this excited for a Android phone since....ever

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Got to play with the regular S6 earlier at BB. Feels VERY nice in the hand. Very light but still premium. The build quality is top notch. The screen is insane. Puts my iPhone 6 screen to shame. Like others have said everything is super quick. No lag at all. double pressing the home button launches the camera almost immediately..every time. Snapped a couple pics and quality was quite nice. Did quick camera comparison with my iPhone and the pics almost identical quality wise. This is the first Samsung camera phone that can truly compete. Just the white balance seemed a bit better on the iPhone. Every app i clicked on launched and loaded up very fast. I couldnt play with the Edge version someone else was on it but it did look very nice as well. Really can't go wrong with either. I haven't been this excited for a Android phone since....ever

I agree. When I got to play with both models after preordering, I was impressed by the premium build of both and still how light they were. The GS6 felt better in hand and had a more solid feel. The Edge bezels were very thin but sharp making the grip and feel somewhat awkward feeling.

chickweedblur

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Stopped by Best Buy on the way home today as well. They really should have promoted it more, there was absolutely no one there the whole time I was there. Went back and forth to each of the 4 they had on display. The white does hide fingerprints and smudges better but it looks SO much better in black. I honestly went in having no interest at all in the regular S6, just the Edge. If Verizon had pre-orders today I might have very well ordered it online. My take mirrors alot of what some of you guys said. The Edge is VERY cool looking and the rolled screen gives it a completely unique look. BUT the bezel is really not well done. I'm guessing there is a production reason or simply a need to protect the edge of the screen but the bezel has an abrupt edge and is somewhat uncomfortable. Something about how the bezel hits your hand on the back of the phone and on the top as your thumb rubs across it is annoying. The regular S6 feels 10x better in the hand. Also, the screen is a nice party trick but I'm not sure how useful it's going to be. There's a very slight but noticeable distortion at the very edge of the screen in the browser and when viewing pictures that's a bit odd and the transition from the traditional top and bottom to the rolled sides is not as nice in person as it is in pictures. I'm a die hard "no case" guy but I suspect if the phone is going in a case anyway most of my minor complaints won't matter at all.

It's a shame the Edge has gotten almost all of the attention because the S6 is really a great phone as well. If the Edge is a super model the regular S6 is at least an Anna Kendrick! Beautifully balanced, premium feel and so comfortable to hold. It feels completely solid but is crazy thin and very light. The iPhone 4/4S had the same kind of solid feel but it felt like a brick by comparison. As others have said the camera starts almost instantly and the screen is really sharp with great whites and deep blacks. As an M8 owner I'm not at all a fan of the standard Samsung screens - almost a shame to have such a nice display stuck with such a cartoonish looking theme. I run Nova Launcher on my M8 but I'm not sure that's an option without loosing functionality on the Edge.

In the end they are both awesome and you can't go wrong with either. I'm still undecided. If you have an option to go see one, I would before plunking down 800-1000 for a new phone. You might be surprised. I am definitely going back to see them again this weekend.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Have fun with that...

Perhaps there is a need to watch the comparison video in this sub forum and the numerous posts from respected reviewers who were disappointed with the M9. In at least two reviews, the GS6 got a 9.3 out of 10 whereas the M9 got a 8.3 out of 10. The M9 reviewers were disappointed with the camera and the battery life given how large it's battery it is. This could be due to the chipset and firmware. No QHD screen display. Having an sd card even with a faster processor, this could result in less than expected performance.

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site

Anyone else notice that the white and black colors are different between the standard S6 and Edge?

On the standard S6, black is just straight black, but on the S6 Edge, it has an obvious bit of blue tint to it, which looks better in my opinion than straight black.

As for white, the standard S6 is again just a straight color, white, but on the Edge, white is really more like a pearl color with more sheen to it, which actually looks worse than straight white in my opinion.

If I go with a standard S6 (most likely), then I will choose white, but if I were going Edge, I would choose the black version as the white Edge looks a bit girly and weird to me with that pearly sheen.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Anyone else notice that the white and black colors are different between the standard S6 and Edge?

On the standard S6, black is just straight black, but on the S6 Edge, it has an obvious bit of blue tint to it, which looks better in my opinion than straight black.

As for white, the standard S6 is again just a straight color, white, but on the Edge, white is really more like a pearl color with more sheen to it, which actually looks worse than straight white in my opinion.

If I go with a standard S6 (most likely), then I will choose white, but if I were going Edge, I would choose the black version as the white Edge looks a bit girly and weird to me with that pearly sheen.

Wasn't able to compare them. The Edge demo in Best Buy was gold platinum and the GS6 was black sapphire. To me the black sapphire was like a very dark midnight blue depending upon the light. I was impressed with the "glass" premium powder coat type finish.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site

I wasn't particularly looking for this but no I definitely did not notice this. Maybe it was just due to the lighting and the fact that the edge front reflects more light from more angles? I haven't seen a single review mention this difference either. So I'm pretty sure your eyes or the lighting in the store were just playing tricks on you

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

I wasn't particularly looking for this but no I definitely did not notice this. Maybe it was just due to the lighting and the fact that the edge front reflects more light from more angles? I haven't seen a single review mention this difference either. So I'm pretty sure your eyes or the lighting in the store were just playing tricks on you

I didn't notice it either. Possibly the curved bezels catching the light differently when powered on? If I get a chance this weekend or next week when GS6 accessories roll into Best Buy, I will take a look. Maybe a reviewer will catch it. As we get closer to release, there should definitely be an answer.

DWS44

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site

Stopped by Best Buy on the way home today as well. They really should have promoted it more, there was absolutely no one there the whole time I was there. Went back and forth to each of the 4 they had on display.

That was the same experience I had at Best Buy. I drove up just before they opened and was kinda surprised to be the only one there. First one in the store, and they were clearly expecting more than just me...they had several employees in the cell phone dept and another 4 or 5 milling around the Samsung Experience. Even worse, I couldn't get one yet, since Verizon isn't till next week (I knew that going in...just wanted to see the phone). Played with the display phones for probably 10 minutes or so, and no one else came by. Slowly all the extra help dispersed to other areas of the store.

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site

I think that there is a big perception that the S6 will sellout and be hard to find. This isn't an iphone. I'm sure that you can stroll into any store on launch day and pick one up. Pretty simple, believe it or not:)

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

I think that there is a big perception that the S6 will sellout and be hard to find. This isn't an iphone. I'm sure that you can stroll into any store on launch day and pick one up. Pretty simple, believe it or not:)
I don't think it'll sell out everywhere, but their system was getting hammered because of all of the pre-orders. Took them 40 min to finally get mine to go through. I was the first to get it at my store but they said other stores were getting a lot of them. So some particular stores might actually sell out.

I played with both phones in store and the S6 felt better in hand. I still went with the edge though. I feel like I'll get used to it, not to mention it'll probably feel differently with a case. It was just too beautiful to pass up. Glad they were taking Verizon pre-orders early.

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

Those who have looked at it, is there a significant difference in fingerprints showing between the white and black versions, or is it only minor?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

Yes. You can use the $50 gift card towards payment when you pick up. It basically just gives best buy some sort of benefit if people cancel their preorder. Even though they didn't necessary lose money, you have to use that $50 at best buy. Pretty smart move by them.

As far as the person above asking about the main clock widget going to different areas, you can just install Beautiful Widgets and you can get that functionality back.

i've pre-ordered a phone from Best Buy before and i was able to cancel the pre-order and they refunded the $50 gift card back to cash. i wasn't stuck with the gift card. i also checked with them up front that this was their policy and they confirmed. this was about 3 years ago so their policy may have changed.

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site

Perhaps there is a need to watch the comparison video in this sub forum and the numerous posts from respected reviewers who were disappointed with the M9. In at least two reviews, the GS6 got a 9.3 out of 10 whereas the M9 got a 8.3 out of 10. The M9 reviewers were disappointed with the camera and the battery life given how large it's battery it is. This could be due to the chipset and firmware. No QHD screen display. Having an sd card even with a faster processor, this could result in less than expected performance.

In the past I've always strongly preferred the HTC One line to the Galaxies, (better design and feel, Sense > TouchWiz, smoother operation, etc etc) and as a matter of habit just plunked down a pre-order on the HTC M9 the moment it became available. But, then I started reading the reviews.

First, I read Phil's review and that was discouraging. But, hey, different strokes and all that so read a couple more and they all had the same tone: yeah it's got that typical great design, but, nothing innovative, new Sense features don't really add anything to the experience, battery life is so-so, and the new camera (which I initially was VERY excited to hear about) and its lack of OIS was still quite disappointing.

After that I started reading the glowing S6 / S6 Edge reviews. I expected to hear they nailed the physical design, but was surprised to hear how much they'd also improved TouchWiz. I also was immediately jealous to read that their camera was even more capable than before. At that point I realized "What the hell am I doing?!?!" In the past I was happy with my decision, but this time it's clear that Samsung deserves a shot, so I cancelled my HTC order (and fortunately it was backordered so received a refund the same day) and ordered an S6 Edge from T-Mo, due Monday.

It feels a bit odd to be on the Samsung side of the fence now! :)

SharkyNY

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site

I went to two stores yesterday and surprisingly there didn't seem to be much activity around the S6. So its hard for me to say, but from what I saw there wasn't much of a difference. I handled the black S6 for a few minutes and didn't notice much smudging. I'd imagine that one more people start touching it it'd be easier to tell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance