04-04-2015 08:10 PM
299 ... 89101112
tools
    I didn't read Ars Technica. But this PC world review of M9 caught my attention as it shows some interesting comparison with S6 edge on performance and battery.

HTC One M9 review: A disappointingly good phone | PCWorld
    In varying degrees, most reviews have the common underlying theme of incremental changes in the. M9 and generally underwhelming overall. Battery life got really hammered for a device with such a huge battery. Hummmmmmm..........bigger not always better.
    03-31-2015 05:45 AM
    Disclaimer: preorder shipment estimates a rumor.

Rumor: Samsung Galaxy S6, Galaxy S6 edge U.S. pre-orders double the amount tallied last year

Would be great if true. Means the design choices may be vindicated as they have been bemoaned by some. Apparently, there are more buyers willing to embrace change and aren't bothered by swappable batteries, expandable memory and IP67 ratings. It has always been about the overall performance of the deivce, the big picture, that should be driving the decision not jus a component like the battery.
    03-31-2015 06:10 AM
    Hot off the presses... Published less than 5 minutes ago. Comparison of GS6 vs GS5. Guess who wins. Battery life slightly less but comparable to older brother.

Samsung Galaxy S6 vs Samsung Galaxy S5
    karmamule likes this.
    03-31-2015 06:19 AM
    Disclaimer: preorder shipment estimates a rumor.

Rumor: Samsung Galaxy S6, Galaxy S6 edge U.S. pre-orders double the amount tallied last year

Would be great if true. Means the design choices may be vindicated as they have been bemoaned by some. Apparently, there are more buyers willing to embrace change and aren't bothered by swappable batteries, expandable memory and IP67 ratings. It has always been about the overall performance of the deivce, the big picture, that should be driving the decision not jus a component like the battery.
    Please understand that for some people the battery is a very important feature of a phone. I understand you've pre-ordered the device after evalutating the options, and it is the right device for you. Personally, I am reading this forum as my wife would like a new phone. She has a Moto X, so the non-removable battery and micro SD cards are not an issue for her since she "embraced change" already. Her #1 concern is battery life. She wants a phone that she can use from morning until bed time and not worry about having to top off along the way with a wall charger or battery bank like she does now with her Moto X. She does not want a Note 4 due to size. So for me personally, reading the debates back and forth about battery life is actually very helpful to me. Perhaps is not to you, but it is for others, so please let those concerned continue their discussion on this topic. That was the purpose of this thread, for folks to be able to openly debate and talk about potential downsides to the phone separate from the many other threads about some the great features this phone brings, like the camera which might very well be the best in a phone at the moment.
    03-31-2015 06:26 AM
    Please understand that for some people the battery is a very important feature of a phone. I understand you've pre-ordered the device after evalutating the options, and it is the right device for you. Personally, I am reading this forum as my wife would like a new phone. She has a Moto X, so the non-removable battery and micro SD cards are not an issue for her since she "embraced change" already. Her #1 concern is battery life. She wants a phone that she can use from morning until bed time and not worry about having to top off along the way with a wall charger or battery bank like she does now with her Moto X. She does not want a Note 4 due to size. So for me personally, reading the debates back and forth about battery life is actually very helpful to me. Perhaps is not to you, but it is for others, so please let those concerned continue their discussion on this topic. That was the purpose of this thread, for folks to be able to openly debate and talk about potential downsides to the phone separate from the many other threads about some the great features this phone brings, like the camera which might very well be the best in a phone at the moment.
    I don't think the S6 or S6 Edge is for her, then. It'll be superior to the Moto X, but if her usage is killing the Moto X early, I'm not sure these phones will last her for the duration she's looking for. Right now, I'd say you're looking at between 12-17 hours of usage with between 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours on screen with the S6 or Edge depending on how you use the device.

If that falls into a reasonable usage pattern for her, maybe she'd be okay with it. The other thing is that while some won't have the time, 15 minutes on the charger will likely buy 20-25% extra so that could help, as well.

Posted via the Android Central App
    atakin77 likes this.
    03-31-2015 06:35 AM
    I don't think the S6 or S6 Edge is for her, then. It'll be superior to the Moto X, but if her usage is killing the Moto X early, I'm not sure these phones will last her for the duration she's looking for. Right now, I'd say you're looking at between 12-17 hours of usage with between 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours on screen with the S6 or Edge depending on how you use the device.

If that falls into a reasonable usage pattern for her, maybe she'd be okay with it. The other thing is that while some won't have the time, 15 minutes on the charger will likely buy 20-25% extra so that could help, as well.

I think you may be right, but I'm very interested to see the battery life results and reviews really start to come in. She has a power bank now, and between that and a wall charger, she's never run down to zero, so that's never been a problem. She just gets tired of having to go out of her way sometimes to plug in or remember to bring her battery pack along to top off along the way. And being completely honest, that's not even everyday - maybe every other day or something like that now that the phone is a little older. Performance-wise, any phone she gets will be faster and most likely will have a better camera, so those factors are not as important.
    03-31-2015 06:40 AM
    I think you may be right, but I'm very interested to see the battery life results and reviews really start to come in. She has a power bank now, and between that and a wall charger, she's never run down to zero, so that's never been a problem. She just gets tired of having to go out of her way sometimes to plug in or remember to bring her battery pack along to top off along the way. And being completely honest, that's not even everyday - maybe every other day or something like that now that the phone is a little older. Performance-wise, any phone she gets will be faster and most likely will have a better camera, so those factors are not as important.
    On second thought, she might be able to get by with one of these phones. Especially if she's not picky about brightness and using a power saving mode. Of course I'd advise reading more reviews, but it sounds like it might be a good idea to try it out for 14 days and see how she fares. As it will most likely be with the majority of us, if the battery life is sufficient, we'd be hard pressed to find a better phone out there.

03-31-2015 06:57 AM
    Still undecided between the S6 and the M9, but I'm leaning heavily towards the S6. Went back to Best Buy to play with the S6/S6 Edge and I just love how it feels in the hand. I also put it through its paces a bit more. Opening up multiple apps and going to the multitask cards. There was no slow down. The one thing that I did notice that has been mentioned here before was the browser having to redraw pages. Not really sure why it happens, but it happened both in Samsung's browser and Chrome. Not something that would really bother me, but its there.
    03-31-2015 01:08 PM
    Still undecided between the S6 and the M9, but I'm leaning heavily towards the S6. Went back to Best Buy to play with the S6/S6 Edge and I just love how it feels in the hand. I also put it through its paces a bit more. Opening up multiple apps and going to the multitask cards. There was no slow down. The one thing that I did notice that has been mentioned here before was the browser having to redraw pages. Not really sure why it happens, but it happened both in Samsung's browser and Chrome. Not something that would really bother me, but its there.
    I'm trying to confirm if the update T-Mobile sent out fixed that. Since some have received their phones already, I'd be curious to see if it still redraws.

SharkyNY likes this.
    03-31-2015 01:14 PM
    I just got back from the AT&T store and the S6 looks great. It's a big upgrade from my current HTC One M7, with a bigger and much better screen. Build quality looks very high quality. Seeing the S6 in person has left no doubt that I'll be upgrading to that phone next week!
    03-31-2015 01:29 PM
    Yes, you poor little battery swappers, quit living in the past. Those days are gone. Embrace Change!
    On with the glory of the S6.
    dtblair24 and bhatech like this.
    03-31-2015 02:44 PM
    yep i reported the redrawing on the 2 different s6's i got to try out. i personally find it really annoying, especially for a flagship device with 3 gb of ram and an insane processor. it should NOT be happening ever with this phone.
    SharkyNY likes this.
    03-31-2015 07:03 PM
    yep i reported the redrawing on the 2 different s6's i got to try out. i personally find it really annoying, especially for a flagship device with 3 gb of ram and an insane processor. it should NOT be happening ever with this phone.
    Has anyone tried 3rd party browsers to test this yet like dolphin or Firefox? I'm curious whether it's all browsing having this problem or just the ones it shipped with.
    03-31-2015 08:34 PM
    Has anyone tried 3rd party browsers to test this yet like dolphin or Firefox? I'm curious whether it's all browsing having this problem or just the ones it shipped with.
    I was able to replicate it on Chrome, too. This was on a handset with that didn't get the update, either, so I have no idea if the problem still persists. I wasn't too bothered by it, but clearly he was.

03-31-2015 08:37 PM
    I was able to replicate it on Chrome, too. This was on a handset with that didn't get the update, either, so I have no idea if the problem still persists. I wasn't too bothered by it, but clearly he was.

Chrome ships with it though, I'm trying to see if the problem is all browsers or just the shipped ones
    03-31-2015 08:38 PM
    I'm actually having a really difficult time deciding which one to get (Edge or Regular S6). While I think the idea and look of the Edge is cool (and actually already have one pre-ordered with Best Buy), for me, the feel in hand and actual quality of the screen, especially right around the edge, is better on the regular S6. Where the glass folds down on the edge to meet the bezel there is some blueish distortion that's quite noticeable, especially on white backgrounds. This would be really noticeable when typing emails and texting (assuming you have white background). I've gone to AT&T and Best buy 5-6 times now to compare the two different phones. Each time I walk away with a little different opinion. Tonight I'm almost convinced to cancel my Edge pre-order and go with the regular S6.

Anyone else have the same quandary ?
    03-31-2015 08:57 PM
    I
    I'm actually having a really difficult time deciding which one to get (Edge or Regular S6). While I think the idea and look of the Edge is cool (and actually already have one pre-ordered with Best Buy), for me, the feel in hand and actual quality of the screen, especially right around the edge, is better on the regular S6. Where the glass folds down on the edge to meet the bezel there is some blueish distortion that's quite noticeable, especially on white backgrounds. This would be really noticeable when typing emails and texting (assuming you have white background). I've gone to AT&T and Best buy 5-6 times now to compare the two different phones. Each time I walk away with a little different opinion. Tonight I'm almost convinced to cancel my Edge pre-order and go with the regular S6.

Started out the same but after seeing the Edge in person I'm going with it. The regular one felt more natural in the hand, but the, 2 ND time I went back to use the edge it felt better. I think its just an adjustment that takes getting used to.

Another thing is that I will be using a case. I think the Edge with a case will feel similar to the regular without a case.

My real concern is battery life. Initially I was going to preorder 5 phones for my family members tomorrow but I don't think I am now. I'll get it for myself first and then see if I can recommend it for them. I'll have 14 days to return it if need be. We are coming from S3s but some have extended battery packs and other swap batteries. The inability to do either one probably won't be very welcome to them especially if the battery life isn't good.
    03-31-2015 09:09 PM

Nope. While it looks cool and novel, I couldn't justify the extra $100 per storage level from a value added perspective especially compared to the Note Edge.
    03-31-2015 09:12 PM
    Nope. While it looks cool and novel, I couldn't justify the extra $100 per storage level from a value added perspective especially compared to the Note Edge.
    I hear you there. Assuming both cost the same, would you still go with the regular S6?
    03-31-2015 09:21 PM
    I hear you there. Assuming both cost the same, would you still go with the regular S6?
    Now you are upping the ante. I might strongly consider it. I really like the more solid, premium feel of the GS6.
    ffejjj likes this.
    03-31-2015 09:28 PM
    Yes, you poor little battery swappers, quit living in the past. Those days are gone. Embrace Change!
    On with the glory of the S6.
    Embrace change. Embrace being a wall hugger. Change is only worth embracing when it moves forward.
    03-31-2015 09:51 PM
    Embrace change. Embrace being a wall hugger. Change is only worth embracing when it moves forward.
    No need for wall hugging. Power banks and UPS mode and repaid charging an wireless charging.
    03-31-2015 09:58 PM
    Powerbanks? Isn't' that still some form of an extra battery? Rapid charging or wireless charging isn't an option when out in the wilderness for a weekend and not near any AC current. Anybody who had experienced any type of natural disaster i.e. Hurricane Sandy can tell you how much rapid or wireless charging works when there is ABSOLUTELY NO ELECTRICITY.
    03-31-2015 10:08 PM
    Powerbanks? Isn't' that still some form of an extra battery? Rapid charging or wireless charging isn't an option when out in the wilderness for a weekend and not near any AC current. Anybody who had experienced any type of natural disaster i.e. Hurricane Sandy can tell you how much rapid or wireless charging works when there is ABSOLUTELY NO ELECTRICITY.
    Can't you just take an older S5 (or whatever phone you're upgrading from) out with yourself in the wilderness?
    03-31-2015 10:24 PM
    Which proves my point why embrace change if it's not moving forward? Going back to the older phone. smdh
    03-31-2015 10:27 PM
299 ... 89101112