04-04-2015 08:10 PM
299 1234 ...
tools
    I spent a good 20 minutes with the S6 yesterday in store and did not experience what Andrew did. Performance was very smooth. I opened multiple apps, used multi tasking, played a game, launched the camera several times and there was no lag or stutters at all. I've also watched several reviews on Youtube and they all praised the performance and the toned down version of TW. The battery really isn't an issue with me..everyone says it has no problem lasting a full day with moderate use. Thats good enough for me since most of the time im either in the office, home or my car all of which i have chargers so I dont see myself running low. Even if I did thats where the power saving options come in handy. Im pretty sure anyone who gets this wont be disappointed.
    Adranalyne and karmamule like this.
    03-28-2015 12:28 PM
    I spent a good 20 minutes with the S6 yesterday in store and did not experience what Andrew did. Performance was very smooth. I opened multiple apps, used multi tasking, played a game, launched the camera several times and there was no lag or stutters at all. I've also watched several reviews on Youtube and they all praised the performance and the toned down version of TW. The battery really isn't an issue with me..everyone says it has no problem lasting a full day with moderate use. Thats good enough for me since most of the time im either in the office, home or my car all of which i have chargers so I dont see myself running low. Even if I did thats where the power saving options come in handy. Im pretty sure anyone who gets this wont be disappointed.
    Had the same experience and do the things at work and home for charging.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device
    03-28-2015 12:41 PM
    Just tested the edge version out. Looked cool but was definitely awkward to hold.

Once again I opened the default browser and loaded up theverge.com.

Laggy and redrawing while scrolling up and down. Not sure how anyone can say it's smooth at all? Is this what regular android users are used to? My 3 year old iPhone 5 is way smoother. So weird.

Basically same thing happened when I tested out the regular s6 a few weeks ago. Don't really understand how such a powerful phone can feel slower than my aging iPhone 5.
    03-28-2015 01:00 PM
    03-28-2015 01:24 PM
    Just tested the edge version out. Looked cool but was definitely awkward to hold.

Laggy and redrawing while scrolling up and down. Not sure how anyone can say it's smooth at all? Is this what regular android users are used to? My 3 year old iPhone 5 is way smoother. So weird.

Basically same thing happened when I tested out the regular s6 a few weeks ago. Don't really understand how such a powerful phone can feel slower than my aging iPhone 5.
    I wouldn't say it lags, but it definitely was redrawing on the Verge. Both the stock browser and Chrome did it. The hardware is more than capable of handling those sites as easily as any other phone. It's something they could easily address. The S6, despite redrawing on that website, is still faster than your iPhone 5. Basing the speed of the entire phone on whether it can speedily scroll up and down one website isn't exactly the best way to grade it.

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-28-2015 01:46 PM

Where did you test the S6 at a few weeks ago? They were just put on display in the US Friday.
    03-28-2015 01:52 PM
    Where did you test the S6 at a few weeks ago? They were just put on display in the US Friday.
    I'm in Canada. Windmobile store.
    03-28-2015 01:55 PM
    I'm in Canada. Windmobile store.
    Wow! And it was that bad?
    03-28-2015 02:21 PM
    I tested both regular S6 and edge at BB today. Very quick and smooth on swiping, opening/closing apps. The only place I noticed some stuttering is samsung flipboard page on the left of screen. It's not as smooth as HTC Blinkfeed. They still need to improve that. I don't use it anyway, so turned it off and it's felt silky smooth pretty much everywhere. I also noticed that demo software runs screen at 100% brightness, location at high accuracy. I manually changed that to 75% and battery saving location mode, but it soon reverts back to default. Such setting would drain battery fastest but still lost only a few % while I was playing with it.
    03-28-2015 02:26 PM
    I tested both regular S6 and edge at BB today. Very quick and smooth on swiping, opening/closing apps. The only place I noticed some stuttering is samsung flipboard page on the left of screen. It's not as smooth as HTC Blinkfeed. They still need to improve that. I don't use it anyway, so turned it off and it's felt silky smooth pretty much everywhere. I also noticed that demo software runs screen at 100% brightness, location at high accuracy. I manually changed that to 75% and battery saving mode, but it soon reverts back to default. Such setting would drain battery fastest but still lost only a few % while I was playing with it.
    Agreed. Took me a minute to figure out how to disable the Flipboard screen because they don't have Home Screen Settings anymore.

03-28-2015 02:27 PM
    ....Basing the speed of the entire phone on whether it can speedily scroll up and down one website isn't exactly the best way to grade it.

Really? I always do that when I am checking out a new phone. I use The Truth About Cars website as my test.

I am going to wait this out until the S6 is in the hands of the folks, and get some good feedback on battery and everyday use.
    chezm likes this.
    03-28-2015 02:32 PM
    Really? I always do that when I am checking out a new phone. I use The Truth About Cars website as my test.

I am going to wait this out until the S6 is in the hands of the folks, and get some good feedback on battery and everyday use.
    You should probably base it on general scrolling across the entire OS, multitasking, and touch response, but that's just me. Apparently they're pushing an update that's got performance fixes today so the redrawing issue may have already been addressed.

03-28-2015 02:36 PM
    The Edge feels so small and light in the hand. The sloped sides give me an extra secure grip since I can have my thumb comfortably flush on the edge and my fingers wrapped around the other side. I have heard half the reviewers saying it felt great and the other half saying it was awkward. I totally agree with the former.

My S5 feels like a brick now, but I'll wait for the gold version to come out.
    Adranalyne and karmamule like this.
    03-28-2015 02:42 PM
    I agree. I'm not really fond of Samsung as a whole but the 30 min I spent at Best buy using it was impressive. Not much to complain about. The design... I much preferred the S6 over the Edge. Finally hit the premium feel on the head too. Awesome feel in the hand but will I break it??

Posted via Android Central App
    Adranalyne likes this.
    03-28-2015 02:59 PM
    I agree. I'm not really fond of Samsung as a whole but the 30 min I spent at Best buy using it was impressive. Not much to complain about. The design... I much preferred the S6 over the Edge. Finally hit the premium feel on the head too. Awesome feel in the hand but will I break it??

If I got the S6 instead of the Edge, I'm not sure I'd use a case with it. It felt perfect in my hand. I was thoroughly impressed.

John Master likes this.
    03-28-2015 03:01 PM
    If I got the S6 instead of the Edge, I'm not sure I'd use a case with it. It felt perfect in my hand. I was thoroughly impressed.

Same here. I think it's the best in hand feel I've ever experienced with a cell phone

03-28-2015 03:11 PM
    I'm undecided not because of the battery or Touchwiz. I've had an S4 so I'm used to a bloated UI and I actually liked it. the battery if it's still good as the S5 (and my m8) will be fine for me.

What bothers me is two things that was mentioned in the podcast and the question thread that Andrew did.

1) having Clean Master built in to Touchwiz.
    Not an app and uninstallable, but built in to the UI? Are you freaking kidding me? This crap better be able to be fully disabled or I'm flat out returning it unopened in less then a minute.

This garbage fools way too many people into thinking that there is something wrong with their phone. The problem is that what's wrong with their phone is that CM is installed. But to be fully integrated into Touchwiz? Wholly brain wash Batman, there are going to be too many fools that fall for this gimmick and get addicted to speeding up their phone and cooling it off every hour on the hour like my friend who is about as smart as dirt when it comes to phones.

You wanna know what really was wrong with my friends phone running so hot and losing memory faster then grease lightning? Nothing. Nothing at all but that he had some trash apps installed, and the biggest piece of garbage was Clean Master.

2) Samsung pay not available right away.

What is this Knox on the S4 all over again? Why promote a feature that won't be available until the summer?
    Unlike Knox, I was looking forward to Samsung pay. In fact, in one of my threads I mentioned that one of the 3 major reasons for me getting the phone is because I hate taking my wallet with me when I'm in basketball shorts or bathing suits during the summer. The lack of pockets I have during the summer won't be an issue if I can just carry my phone and make payments with it. But what if like Knox it's not here until late August or September at best? How will this help me buy things at many of the mom and pop stores/restaurants that I frequent? I might as well wait until the note 5 as it will be ready by then. (and I was originally waiting for the new note 5)

I don't know. I'm not pre-ordering until the 3rd anyway. But with one of the features I want not working for months at best and Clean Master giving me pop ups telling me my phone is too hot when I'm not even gaming... I just don't know.

Omg, I'm a gamer? Will CM be annoying?
    Hmmm, I better go and clean up my cashe and stop typing as I'm sure that my phone is running soooooooooo hot from just thinking about this. /sarcasm

03-28-2015 04:19 PM
    Wow! And it was that bad?
    i'm not saying its bad, as i haven't really used an android phone regularly since i had a samsung s3. i'm thinking people who are more used to android probably dont see the slight lag and are just used to it. i don't know. i'm not saying the phone is super slow or something. but theverge.com is generally the one mobile site i use to test phones browsers with, and my iphone 5 is definitely much smoother which shouldn't be the case at all, seeing as the s6 is light years ahead in terms of specs.
    bgl321 likes this.
    03-28-2015 04:24 PM
    I'm not so-so for it. I'm not getting it at all. I played with it at my local AT&T store and it felt small and slippery. And some of the reviews about the battery life isn't impressive at all.

If I have to pay $949 for a device, I want...more from it.
    berdinkerdickle likes this.
    03-28-2015 05:07 PM
    i'm not saying its bad, as i haven't really used an android phone regularly since i had a samsung s3. i'm thinking people who are more used to android probably dont see the slight lag and are just used to it. i don't know. i'm not saying the phone is super slow or something. but theverge.com is generally the one mobile site i use to test phones browsers with, and my iphone 5 is definitely much smoother which shouldn't be the case at all, seeing as the s6 is light years ahead in terms of specs.
    For me, BGR and Verge are two my least favorite tech site when it comes to androids. Not really trusting anything they say on it.
    I haven't tested those sites on S6 browser yet. But even if it's slow to load those sites, that doesn't bother me at all, lol.
    03-28-2015 05:46 PM
    Well, I was looking at the S6 and S6 edge for a while. Spent about 15 minutes playing with them in store in England.

However, I have had my Note4 for 36 hours to replace my S5 and am loving it. When I first got it the screen on my S5 immediately started to look small. Performance is great. Still on kit kat though I did get to like lollipop on my S5 after three updates.

Memory on the Note4 is 32gb which I have never had before. Stuck in my 128gb SD card and am a very happy customer.

Battery looks like it will last 30 hours so plenty for me to play with. Will get a spare battery for backup.

When 200gb SD cards come down in price I'll buy a few of those for my Note4, Tab S and S5 mini.

So the S6 was not for me even though it is a brilliant piece of kit and Samsung will sell them by the millions.

Looks like I'll be sticking to the Note range from now on as long as Samsung keep the expandable storage and removable battery - very important for me.

Note4 is the dogs bits.

berdinkerdickle likes this.
    03-28-2015 06:09 PM
    Ok, there seems to be two main issues, that can be fixed.

1. Battery is underwhelming
    2. Touchwizz is still stuttering/lagging

Fix for number 1 is a power bank
    Fix for number 2 seems more complicated, either wait for Samsung to iron out the edges (yeh right) or flash a ROM

03-28-2015 06:12 PM
    Still undecided although the M9 has been totally eliminated for me at this point. Going to wait a week or two and see what real users are saying about the S6. I have also eliminated the edge....don't need the gimmick. If it looks good then a 64gb black S6 is what I will get.
    03-28-2015 06:18 PM
    Ok, there seems to be two main issues, that can be fixed.

1. Battery is underwhelming
    2. Touchwizz is still stuttering/lagging

Fix for number 1 is a power bank
    Fix for number 2 seems more complicated, either wait for Samsung to iron out the edges (yeh right) or flash a ROM

Saw no stutter at all and I tried my best to do so at Best Buy yesterday.
    03-28-2015 06:28 PM
    Still undecided although the M9 has been totally eliminated for me at this point. Going to wait a week or two and see what real users are saying about the S6. I have also eliminated the edge....don't need the gimmick. If it looks good then a 64gb black S6 is what I will get.
    I ended up getting the one you are thinking about. Now that demo units are available, go into a store and try it out. At the end of the day, it is the best way to make a decision as it is based upon your own experience.
    03-28-2015 06:30 PM
299 1234 ...